PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in situations like this?

LawnGuy35
06-05-2010, 02:11 PM
A post in another thread got me thinking. In addition to mowing, do you pull/remove weeds from your customers' landscaping, walkways, etc? For instance, if you're hired to mow a residential lawn, but you notice the homeowner's landscaping has a lot of weeds growing (and it's obvious they don't take care of it themselves), do you just pick them as part of the mowing job? Or, do you offer to remove them at an added cost each month (upsell)? Or, do you just let them go and not say anything?

Most of my customers are pretty good about taking care of their own landscaping, but I have one that has let things go and keeps saying she's going to get to it soon.

Mike Blevins
06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Each job has a different price. I sometimes help carry groceries in or bring their trash can back to their house, which I would never charge for :dizzy:. But if I am going ot be there pulling weeds I will give them an estimate. If its just one here and there then I still wouldn't charge them. Bottom line is if its going to be hot and I'm working I'm going to get paid.

LuxuryLawnCare
06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
pulling weeds is not part of mowing for a additional charge i would do it cant do things for free think of any other business like gas station if they gave a free court of oil to everyone getting gas they would fold very fast .it takes your time and time is money

MnGreen
06-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Maintain the beds and such only if it's part of your services, and arrangement.

HighGrass
06-05-2010, 08:51 PM
DO something for free once, they'll expect always.

1993lx172
06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Like Mr. Blevins said, one or two that you can grab real quick while you are trimming or blowing off the drive or walk is fine, but a full blown clean out is something you charge for separately after giving an estimate or based on your per-hour labor rate with a set minimum.