PDA

View Full Version : stihl FS 100

52abc52
06-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have the stihl FS 100 and if so how do you like it

Richard Martin
06-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I've come to this conclusion about Stihl trimmers after owning a FS80R and demoing a FS90R the other day. Stihl only has 2 power levels. Idling and full power.

If you're the kinda guy that just gets down and gets the job done without a whole lotta regard as to the finished product then they are fine. They have tons and tons power, even the small trimmers.

If you're like me and you're way more concerned with the finished product than the time it takes to acheive that product then you should look for another line of trimmers.

Often times I like to "feather in" my grass trimming. It takes a bit of a light touch not to burn a lot of my jobs to the ground. Or up next to tender tree trunks, you can't go in there with a ton of power and not strip bark off.

I just have a whole lot of trouble getting my Stihl trimmer to run at a consistant speed unless it's almost full throttle. Maybe it's just me but those are my impressions.

I can do a much better job with my Shindaiwa T-230 trimmers. You can run them at almost any throttle position and they're happy. They just don't have the brute power of the Stihl trimmers.

It's like the Stihls have a very peaky power curve. It's doesn't come up gradually, it's just suddenly on.

Lazer_Z
06-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Richard, I have to disagree with you about being able to "feather" the power. I can do that just fine with my 90, the KM 130 on the other hand is a little tougher because of the larger displacement. I can even feather the throttle of my BR600 with no problem whatsoever, I can go from trimming to b@lls to the wall full power when needed with the 90, but like I said the KM 130 is a different story, it's like all or nothing with it.

C4chris70
06-07-2010, 10:11 PM
My FS100 is a beast and has run great for several years after a few valve adjustments, but as Richard said it is very hard to run at a mid speed.

mowerbrad
06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
I am actually able to run my FS100RX at a mid throttle level pretty easily. It could be that I am very used to it after running it for 3 seasons. But the trigger is fairly sensative which could be why some people find it being able to run either at an idle speed or full throttle.

However, I can run it idle, full throttle or anywhere in between. Great trimmer!!!!!

Just Mow
06-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Great trimmer. I can run it at any speed with no problems

nvc0117
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I love mine. way more power than the echos i got. dont have any problems running at half throttle:usflag:

tilawn
06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
funny i see a thread about the FS100RX trimmers.
Not to try to take over your thread but I have a question about my same trimmer. It was running fine and then all of a sudden one morning it started to run like crap, at times it wont even run and then at the next lawn starts right up and runs good, but also it does have a hard time staying running while at idle. Can anybody trouble shoot this for me? Is it in need of a valve adjustment?

SharpLawnCare
06-07-2010, 11:05 PM
just don't take the shield off on the 100 "just a little less weight then the 110" you will break the shaft if you run out to much string. other wise get the 110 if you want the same power but more weigh and no worries.

karlgrooms
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I will be following this thread....the 100rx is on my short list. My 90s has been stellar and need to convert it to a dedicated brush cutter.

topsites
06-08-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm having some clutch problems with mine, a carb or two, a coil or two,
I think that about sums it up, I used it for 3 years almost every day so
I'm not quite tickled pink with it but I guess I shouldn't complain.