PDA

View Full Version : hostas help

ccas
06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
So... Im new at this. I have a fairly long driveway.(75 feet) I want to plant some hostas along the edge. I know I can divide the ones I have, but I'm wondering if I can just buy the bulbs without buying the whole plant.

whosedog
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I found a web site that sells hosta roots for $10 each called (bloomin on the east end)That's kind of expensive you might save money dividing the rhizomes from your existing bunches,each root should in time grow another plant;but the best time is springtime.I love hostas for their low maintenance,I've dug up bunches from people that wanted them gone,just stuck them in the ground no water or any care and they are thriving.

VO Landscape Design
06-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Remember Hosta's like shade. They will grow great in the sun just look like crap. We love Hosta's here because our yard is mainly shade. Check out local plant sales if you are looking for the "plain everyday ones". We have so many potted up from our yard we sell on the weekends, a very hardy plant.
VO

beegreenlandcare
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
i don't have any idear why u would want bulbs. I'm not sure what your pricing is in your area but, I can buy potted Hostas that are about 12" tall for $11 ea. So, for a $1 more it'd be alot better buy.
Have you tried your local nursery. I think you be surprised to see what kind of pricing you get when buying a dozen or more at a time.:rolleyes:

Think Green
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
CCAS,
What species of Hosta and do you have partial sun along this 75 foot driveway?
The hosta will grow in sun but will scorch severely if you plant them this way.
How about the dormant season............the bare ground during the fall and winter months.

ccas
06-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I just figured if I could get the bulbs and plant them it would save a lot of time and money. Bulbs seem like they should be easier to plant

whosedog
06-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I just figured if I could get the bulbs and plant them it would save a lot of time and money. Bulbs seem like they should be easier to plant

Time yes money no.It's always cheaper to grow your own.I wanted to buy cannas bulbs,they want $3-$7 each for them,so every year after the frost kills the top,I dig them up(you have to anyway,they won't survive the winter)Come springtime I separate the bulbs and replant,every year I double the number of plants.BTW hostas grow from a rhizome,not the same thing as a bulb;more like a thick root.

hackitdown
06-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I think you want to check into "bare-root" plants. You should be able to get little bare root hostas for under $2. I'd plan on one plant per foot, but it depends on the size of the variety you choose.

Check out: www.classic-groundcovers.com/

RedSox4Life
06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
This website sells all sorts of host a plugs, most are around $7. The mature hostas are pretty cheap too.

http://www.nhhostas.com/

JeffNY
06-09-2010, 08:38 AM
re: classic groundcovers
I just signed up with that place, just for kicks to see the prices. wow. They're pretty expensive, and I didnt even factor in the shipping.

hackitdown
06-10-2010, 07:34 AM
re: classic groundcovers
I just signed up with that place, just for kicks to see the prices. wow. They're pretty expensive, and I didnt even factor in the shipping.

Most of the plants are under $2. That is expensive?

White Gardens
06-10-2010, 09:04 AM
In Bloomington IL, there is a local nursery that runs 5 mail order-catalogs out of their location. I can get root stock for cheap and sometimes a dozen Hostas for 5 bucks.

Luckily I can go into the shop and they will fill my order right there so I get to skip the mail all together.

clean_cut
06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
You wanna know where I got my hostas? Down the street laying by the side of the road :) I guess the neighbors didn't want them, so we picked up a few plants and divided them into about 5 or 6 bunches. I think dividing as much as you can would be a good idea if they really cost around 10 each. You'll probably need a lot for both sides of that driveway. Have you considered any monkey grass or anything else?

ccas
06-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah, Was planning on separating hte hoistas with mnkey grass and some areas for annuals