PDA

View Full Version : Bidding commercial against national competition

grassguy123
06-05-2010, 04:23 PM
We are bidding on a few commercial contracts right now against TruGreen and I wanted to get other landscapers opinions on their pricing. I have gone up against other big guys like Brickman, Greenleaf and Scotts.

Brickman: They always give an extremely high bid price the first year round, and when they loose the bid, they will bid an extremely low price the second year round.

Greenleaf: We lost a bid to them before because they charged $1500 to cut 150 acres of grass. They are huge lowballers, they ended up not being able to bid that job again because they did such a horrible job.(obviously)

TruGreen: Im looking for opinions on trugreen, from someone who has gone up against them in a commercial bid. Are they lowballers?

Landscraper1
06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
They can be. I bid a lawn care job they had done for a couple of years. The place looked terrible. I priced it at over $6,000 and won the job by a couple of hundred. 2 years later Trugreen bid the same job again for $3000 less.
Yea, they can be lowballers.

ed2hess
06-05-2010, 06:26 PM
We bid against TruGreen and Brinkman and the hourly rate is around $30 in our area.

grassguy123
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
>>We bid against TruGreen and Brinkman and the hourly rate is around $30 in our area.

We were going to sub a job out to Brickman they gave us a price of $2,500/wk or $210/mhr. I told them another subcontractor gave me a price of $700 or $58/mhr they told me they will beat it. Needless to say we didnt give them the contract because anyone who is going to overprice so high and then cut their price with more than a 70% discount isnt an honest company.

Landscraper1
06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
They act like a used car salesman.

topsites
06-09-2010, 09:25 AM
You have to understand with the big names, it's not their business, hope that makes sense,
they can (and probably do) bid according to some specifications and what have you but
ultimately if the corporation loses money it doesn't come out of someone's personal bank account.

And unfortunately they can afford it, like it or not...
Trugreen's been around since like 1890 or so, they are also world wide, they have a stock symbol,
they have college educated employees near the top and we're definitely not dealing with the next
Johnny come lately here.

So we don't have to like them, but I think we should respect them because
at least in my book that's one company that can and will eat your lunch.

That having been said...
When a customer has Trugreen doing a part of their service, I usually simply accept the customer's choice,
I realize the customer has decided to use a big name and so be it, I don't fight it, I just do my best to accept it.

Granted that's just me.