PDA

View Full Version : Cutting parking lot islands

grassguy123
06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
The worst part about commercial work are the small grass islands in the parking lots. Does anyone have any tips on that for me.

If you take the mower up there it shoots all the grass off, and when you try to blow the grass back on the islands are so small it shoots off the other end.

If you use a weed whacker theres still a mess to clean up and its still hard to blow it back on the island.

If you use a mower and bagger, its a pain to dispose of the grass and most of the time the bagger gets in the way so you cant use it anyway.

?
Thanks

Landscraper1
06-05-2010, 04:34 PM
We use a mower with a rear catcher. Does'nt make a mess or get in the way.

Cooter
06-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Mulching mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

M&S_Lawncare
06-05-2010, 05:21 PM
We make 2 passes blowing the clippings into the island and then start to alternate our passes. Very little clippings... I will try to post some pics when we go out this week....

ed2hess
06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Mulching mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bingo we have a winner.....just put the plate over all your mowers
and not more chasing grass on commericial properties. Most island can be done with weed eater and usually looks better.

Scarlawnturf
06-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I believe that your best results for small skinny islands, are a 21 inch with a mulcher or bagger. You have to be really good at using a weed eater to do an island. Usually looks like crap. One of my pet peaves in this area is guys trying to use a 60 in Exmark z turn to do everything, even islands. I drive by a house every day that is about 1,000 sq. ft. and someone cuts with a 60 in z turn. Ruts everywhere! I'm sorry, but small properties should usually be cut by smaller mowers.

93Chevy
06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I put the bagger on.

Man, I love bagging.

demhustler
06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
- close discharge opening (simple rubber plate,like OCDC, discharge chute)
in low rpm - it leaving less mess than the trimmer
you might deal with the windrows,stripes of cut crass - easy to handle, beets bagging

milkie62
06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
A little off post but I got a kick out of the guy that claims he mulches grass over 1 foot tall with no mess

yardguy28
06-05-2010, 11:37 PM
like others have said either use a mulching mower or a mower with a rear bagger. not rocket science.

those islands are small. i'd bust out my 21 inch toro every time. i an either mulch with it or bag it. not worth putting anything larger on it.

i guess it depends on where you live but it's not that hard to dispose of the grass. dump it in your truck bed and haul it off to the compost site at the end of the day or if you don't have very much at all use those recycle paper bags and put them in your trash.

dgw
06-06-2010, 04:06 PM
I believe that your best results for small skinny islands, are a 21 inch with a mulcher or bagger. You have to be really good at using a weed eater to do an island. Usually looks like crap. One of my pet peaves in this area is guys trying to use a 60 in Exmark z turn to do everything, even islands. I drive by a house every day that is about 1,000 sq. ft. and someone cuts with a 60 in z turn. Ruts everywhere! I'm sorry, but small properties should usually be cut by smaller mowers.

yea and the stripes are a third of the size of the lawn

dgw
06-06-2010, 04:09 PM
oh, and lawnboy 21 with bag and i have a spot with about eight of them so i drag a barrel with me to dump the grass in

whole9er
06-06-2010, 06:36 PM
bag or mulch and trim counter clockwise than all the clippings go inwards, I trim all my properties counterclockwise and it the first thing i teach my guys

zo6
06-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Thank you..... Do you know how many people think im an idiot when i say that..

JohnBanks
06-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Troy Bilt wide cut mower mulching. I think Cub and Sears make one now. It was a homeowner model but amazing at putting down mini stripes without mess and light enough you could pick it up for all those islands