PDA

View Full Version : Making Bermuda Spread

DieselDennis
06-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Guys,

I sprayed my yard in the spring to get rid of most of the weeds and leave the bermuda. But I have several patches about 5'x5' where there is no bermuda. It's not brown and it's not the color I'm worried about. It's just very thin in there and full of volunteer weeds.

Is there a particular fertilizer or mowing height that will encourage the grass to spread? I have a one acre lot and have already had two applications of pelletized lime ( 120 lbs each time ) and recently put on 100 lbs of triple 13 (this is over a time frame of February to last weekend).

Think Green
06-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Dennis,
Importantly, a one acre lot...............43,560 sq.ft. using triple 13 will take around 8 lbs. of fertilizer per thousand square feet to give you 1 lb. of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. You are going to need 350 lbs. of 13 to feed that acre one time. I don't think you need that much of the other nutrients per acre though. That is 7- 50# bags, 14- 25# bags or financially around 250.00 per acre per month.........???? Most people don't put that much into their lawn. Dont use triple 13 anymore unless you get a soil test and you need the phosphorus and potassium. I don't think you applied enough nitrogen to this property to make a difference.
Bermuda will need nitrogen fed to it at 1 lb. of nitrogen per thousand square feet per growing month depending on if you mulch the clippings in or take them off. You can reduce you fertilizer rate by 20% if you mulch the clippings back under.

Think Green
06-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Did you do a soil test to tell how much lime needed per acre or what your pH is before adding lime.?? Sometimes, lime needs to be added twice per season to lower the pH at 40 to 80 lbs. or more per thousand square feet. An acre will need possibly 2,000 lbs. per season or applied gradually over a period of time.
If you have already taken out all of the weeds, the thin spots may be due to terrible top soil or gravel at the surface.
I hope I didn't come across as crass but I was only offering facts to adequate fert and lime applications according to label standards.
My lawn is completely common bermuda and doesn't get much fertilizer as my septic system offers it for me. There has been thin spots but have filled in nicely since the rains and humidity returned to the season. If your spots are dry, then keep them watered and don't worry so much about the ferts. Just keep those areas moist and make sure there was no pre emergents applied to those areas prior to now.

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
The best way to get bermuda to grow laterally is to cut is short...very short...1/2" is good. A lite topdressing of fertile soil or compost over the areas will give the bermuda something to grow to.