PDA

View Full Version : Identify this weed

trook
06-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I have many of these weeds in my bermuda, and I want it GONE! Please tell me what this is and what type of herbicide will kill it. I have tried MSMA and 2-4D, but it will not kill this stuff. I am located in Mississippi. Thanks!!

Turf Dawg
06-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Nut Sedge. MSMA will suppress it but you can kill it with a couple treatments of Image or Sedge Hammer. Image will probably be the cheapest way for you to go. You should be able to buy it at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart, ect......... in a bottle that connects to your water hose. Follow the directions on the bottle like watering it in and two treatments Xnumber of days apart. Just get the plain Image, not the one with Crabgrass or Atrizine listed.
BTW, it generally rears it's ugly head in soil that is too moist and does not drain well.

fl-landscapes
06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
remember the saying "sedges have edges". Roll the stem between your fingers. The stems are triangular in shape. Easy way to identify. As pointed out msma or even glyphosate will burn it back but you need to use something like sedge hammer if you want to get rid of it

trook
06-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks. I'll try sedge hammer.

zmowing
06-06-2010, 05:00 PM
T zone will kill it to