PDA

View Full Version : Echo SRM-265???

morgaj1
06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Let's here the opinions. I am thinking about getting one to replace my 261, but am a little hesitant about the single piston rings. I am looking for opinions on the 256T and the standard model.

LALawnboy
06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I have both the 265T and regular 265 (I bought the reduction gear to make my regular one a 265T), so in essence, I'm running two high torque models. One is about a year and half old and the other is just about a year. Only problems I've had with either, was a minor carb problem on my original 265 but that was fixed under warranty. Other than that, I love using them.

dhunterd08
06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
The 265T was the first echo trimmer I have ever had, but I have allways ran T-260s. Now that the "dirty equipment" or w/e isnt available I had to move to something else. I like the 265T. It is no T260, but it has really good torque, is lightweight, and the fuel economy is double that of the T260s. That is really nice. The head should be tossed in the trash as soon as you buy it. Do yourself a favor and buy a speed feed. there is one in ooltewah on chattanooga craigslist for 250. Idk how far that is from you.

morgaj1
06-05-2010, 09:10 PM
The head should be tossed in the trash as soon as you buy it. Do yourself a favor and buy a speed feed.

Yeah, now that I have used the speed feed, I won't go back. I gave some thought to the Stihl 4-mix but just don't know about them. The shadetree mechanic in me says that there has to be problem with carbon buildup on the valves over time. I just really like a 2-stroke. I also like Redmax, but have heard bad things about hard strarting with the strato engines. It's a shame that the EPA has ruined our good handhelds.

ed2hess
06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Stick with the Echo 265 or if you are a 4-mix guy go with the Shindawa 2510. We run several of both and so far okay. Our 265 units are in the third year and heavy use and the only problem is port gettign clogged and I am switching to synthetic soon.

dhunterd08
06-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah, now that I have used the speed feed, I won't go back. I gave some thought to the Stihl 4-mix but just don't know about them. The shadetree mechanic in me says that there has to be problem with carbon buildup on the valves over time. I just really like a 2-stroke. I also like Redmax, but have heard bad things about hard strarting with the strato engines. It's a shame that the EPA has ruined our good handhelds.

I know its terrible. Yea, I have heard great things about kawasaki. There price tag seems too good to be true to me.

genesis215
06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
If I were you, I'd get the SRM-265S. It has a steel shaft, and will have very good power transfer, also a high head speed which you don't get with the 265T model. Or if you have the extra $60, go for the SRM-280S. It's got a bigger engine, and a Walbro carb to boot. Very nice machine, and weighs the same as the 265S at 11.6lbs.

As for the one-ring engine, Echo has not made any mistake on that. Husky has used one-ring engines on their top-model chainsaws for years, and they don't have problems. Echo's Power Boost Vortex engine is also designed with 75% higher tolerances between the rings and cylinder than the old 261, reducing friction and heat, therefore lasting much longer than the old 261 engine. Also the ring is a thicker ring unlike the typical one-ring engines, thus giving the surface area to dissipate heat better than a 2-ring engine. Hope this helps.