PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with "Twilly birds"

Doc Pete
07-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Well that's what I call them. It's those weeds with the stem with a fuzzy thing at the top. Anyway, I'm sure good lawns don't have them, but most of my lawns do. OK, I'm having a bit of trouble cutting these suckers while mowing at 3 inches. I'm running sharp doubles and they just bend over. Anyone else having the same trouble. Is it possible the doubles are actually blowing them over. I may try going back to singles for the summer.....Help!!!
Pete

awm
07-16-2002, 09:14 PM
u may need to increase your lift by changing blades . mabe mulchers or double high lifts etc. guess its possible u mabe getting to much lift ,causing blowback. then standards an gators or something .

Doc Pete
07-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by awm
u may need to increase your lift by changing blades . mabe mulchers or double high lifts etc. guess its possible u mabe getting to much lift ,causing blowback. then standards an gators or something .

I'm thinking it may be a bit of blowback, too.... my friend's single blader 48 cuts them, so it may be just too much with the double highlift blades.... thanks
Pete

The Mowerdude
07-17-2002, 12:22 AM
What you're describing sounds a lot like our buckhorns here in Tennessee. And yes they're a real pain. We mow a little slower and then touch up with the weed eater. But you're definately on the right track with ultra sharp blades.

Doc Pete
07-17-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by The Mowerdude
What you're describing sounds a lot like our buckhorns here in Tennessee. And yes they're a real pain. We mow a little slower and then touch up with the weed eater. But you're definately on the right track with ultra sharp blades.
Thanks, I'll keep working on it...........

TLS
07-17-2002, 12:34 AM
The taller they are, the harder they are to cut 100%.

The lower you cut, the better your chances of cutting 100% of them.

3-3/4" its pretty tough to get 'em.
3" to 3-1/4" and a little slow down of speed, and I get almost all of them.

My Grandfather (and many other people) used to call them (the bad "N" word for a black person) - heads. It is buckhorn or plantain.

It and Crabgrass is about the only thing growing now a days with the dry weather.

Doc Pete
07-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by TLS
The taller they are, the harder they are to cut 100%.

The lower you cut, the better your chances of cutting 100% of them.

3-3/4" its pretty tough to get 'em.
3" to 3-1/4" and a little slow down of speed, and I get almost all of them.

Yes, I find if I slow down to about (?) 4/5 mph I will get them. Anything faster and I miss them all.....
Pete

LAWNGODFATHER
07-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Buckhorn Plantain Plantago Lanceolata

Now AKA "twilly birds"

Slow down and cut lower does the trick

http://www.weedalert.com/images/wa_buckhorn_plantain.gif

Doc Pete
07-17-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Buckhorn Plantain Plantago Lanceolata

Now AKA "twilly birds"

Slow down and cut lower does the trick

Yup..... those are the babies..........
Thanks,
Pete

David Haggerty
07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
I cut at 3" too. I've noticed a BIG difference in cutting plantain with different decks. I had a Howard Price mower with the old style decks ('85) that would NOT cut the stuff.

The difference in the HP mower from the other mowers was the front edge of the decks on the HP were sloped out toward the front. So the front edge of the deck was 2 or 3 inches in front of the tip of the blade. The front edge was also lower than the cutting edge of the blade.

The front lip of the deck was pushing the weeds over and holding them long enough for the blade to pass over them without being cut.

Could you be having the same kind of problem? Are the blades up inside the deck or level with the bottom?

Dave

Doc Pete
07-17-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
I
Could you be having the same kind of problem? Are the blades up inside the deck or level with the bottom?

Dave

Dave, Sure the deck is way in front of the blade. but I did lower the blade 1/4" so it's level with the bottom of the front....Still no luck.....
Pete

Richard Martin
07-17-2002, 02:37 PM
You get an "A" Lawngodfather for correctly identifying the weed. I too was having trouble cutting them until I made one small change to my mowers. Actually it was a change to the blades. I now sharpen the blades almost all of the way to the spindle hole and it cuts those suckers clean at almost any speed although slower is the best speed. Also if you're in a yard that has them you probably aren't cutting a showplace lawn anyway so you might as well cut it shorter. I'm cutting mine at 2-3/4 to 3-1/4. I got the idea from reading posts from those North Carolina boys talking about cutting Bahia which also has a pain in the ass to cut stalk.

Doc Pete
07-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
You get an "A" Lawngodfather for correctly identifying the weed. I too was having trouble cutting them until I made one small change to my mowers. Actually it was a change to the blades. I now sharpen the blades almost all of the way to the spindle hole and it cuts those suckers clean at almost any speed although slower is the best speed. Also if you're in a yard that has them you probably aren't cutting a showplace lawn anyway so you might as well cut it shorter. I'm cutting mine at 2-3/4 to 3-1/4. I got the idea from reading posts from those North Carolina boys talking about cutting Bahia which also has a pain in the ass to cut stalk.

I put the gators back on for the summer, today, and I'll see if they help. They are sharp about 2" from the hole. I'll take them off and resharpen if it gets better.......And, I'll keep you posted on the improvment, if any.....
Pete