PDA

View Full Version : blades effecting stripes?

M.M.A. Mowing
06-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey guys, I have a dane surfer that used to stripe fantastic with the original blades, but now I have put the scag heavy duty blades on and not so much. I've also had eliminators on and it was even worse, but on the other hand I put the eliminators on my gravely 1336 and stripes like a dream. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out, what blades really make a surfer stripe the best, go back and just buy some original blades? Is there a different blade out there that stripes better, or does blades even make a difference? Maybe I'm just nuts. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device

BleedingGreen
06-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Well you're probably nuts, but not because of this J/K. Seriously yes blades can affect stripes. Together your deck design and blades work in conjunction to create air flow while mowing. Depending on a lot of variables each blade type will act differently under different decks. When you see stripes it's actually a visual effect on your eyes. It's created by the way light reflects off the blades of grass. That's why your stripes running parallel to the sun with the sun towards your back will always POP more.The stripes that look WHITER are created from blades being bent away from you. The stripes that look DARKER are created from the blades being bent towards you. I can create the same look using a paint roller. Point being the blades along with the deck create air flow that will bend the blades of grass for better or worse. That being said, don't fix it if it isn't broke and don't re-invent the wheel. If the you were happy with the stock blades, get another set.

Robert Pruitt
06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
you can also get a extra high lift orig. blades for that machine. have them on my Chariot.