PDA

View Full Version : Tilling Job

Cypress Landscaping
06-05-2010, 10:17 PM
How much would you charge to till up 35-40 sq ft and plant fescue seed and fertilize it?

If there is a better way to go about this please let me know.

stephen424
06-06-2010, 12:53 AM
not even worth your time!
35 sq ft!
you're talking about a 7x5 area....that's one stroke up and one stroke down with a tiller

Tilling an area like that would take me 5 minutes. Spreading seed in the area would take 2 minutes. Fertilizer would take 2 minutes.

So you're talking about a 10 minute job!

tyler_mott85
06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Actually those very small jobs like that are quite profitable for me.

Let me explain.

All you need is a minimum charge on your services. Of course you wouldn't want to charge for only 10 minutes of work. But decide what you want to charge hourly for that type of work and let the customer know you have a minimum charge of "yadda yadda" and add in your seed and fert costs and there you go.

Now if you have to rent a tiller to do this job I would pass it up unless you think the customer will pay for the rental fee.

I would rather make an hour's worth of wages for working 10 min then work an hr and get paid for an hr, but that's just me.

poncho62
06-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I get the same crap from people.....I have a 36" tiller on a garden tractor....lady calls yesterday wanting an 8x8 area done.....I tell her I have a $40 minimum charge for tilling. Thats cheap if you consider driving there, loading and unloading.......Guess it was too much, says she will get back to me....lol

stephen424
06-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Actually those very small jobs like that are quite profitable for me.

Let me explain.

All you need is a minimum charge on your services. Of course you wouldn't want to charge for only 10 minutes of work. But decide what you want to charge hourly for that type of work and let the customer know you have a minimum charge of "yadda yadda" and add in your seed and fert costs and there you go.

Now if you have to rent a tiller to do this job I would pass it up unless you think the customer will pay for the rental fee.

I would rather make an hour's worth of wages for working 10 min then work an hr and get paid for an hr, but that's just me.

Unless you own a tiller and the customer lives right next door or directly across the street, you're not going to pocket more than $10

Let's say you own a tiller...
Think about the time spent loading it up, the gas that it would take to drive there...then unload...do the job...clean the sidewalk (dirt from tiller tires)...reload!

That's 2 hours from the time you started loading til the time you got home!
And if your minimum is, ohhhh, $40/hour for general labor...

Cypress Landscaping
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks, the situation is...

Its right by his drive way probably one small bag of seeds and fert. He lives down the street from me and is willing to pay the rental fee for the tiller. I have never done tilling before how hard is it?

cutbetterthanyou
06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Maybe i leave money on the table, but other than cutting grass i don't do anything less than 150 bucks it isn't worth the headache. The only time i do is if it is for a grass custamer, an i can just throw the stuff on the trailer and do it while im there cuttin there yard. You figuare you have to pull your equipment off, then put it on when your done the job. Your going to have to go buy materials, get to the site, get home it is just to much running around.

wrager
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
How much would you charge to till up 35-40 sq ft and plant fescue seed and fertilize it?

If there is a better way to go about this please let me know.

Much better to either aerate and rake, or use a slit seeder/verticutter. If you till with a walk behind machine it will be a bumpy, weedy mess.

This is the wrong time to seed fescue too. It probably won't live through the hot Georgia summer.