PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS 90 R

PPS, Inc.
06-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Trying to figure out what trimmer line is best for my line trimmer. Stihl has a round line, an x-line and a square line for pros. What should I be using?

dougdm
06-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I mow a few cemetaries, and use what ever i find on sale. I know that is not the best thing to do, but when my daughter burns up the string on head stones, I'm not buying the good stuff. I have found the multi sided strings do last longer when you keep it out of the sun. I have tried the stihl round .095 string and it did well, but I do believe the square or hex or what ever sided ones hold up a bit better. Personaly find one you like and roll with it. Try 4 small rolls of different brands/types and see what you like better. It's your life/business make it a good one

denisfogo
06-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I've wondered if the non-round line is more likely to hang up in the trimmer head?

Richard Martin
06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Try a bunch of different lines until you find one that you like best. There's about 100 different lines in 10 different sizes out there.

Robert Pruitt
06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
have tried about all of the different ones thru the years. always come back to the .095 round. sometimes the wax they put on it gets bound up from making 25 rounds around the spool, lately have starting only using 20 and no problem.

nvc0117
06-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I use .95 round stihl line in my fs100rx

Think Green
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
All the brands are personally preferred by each. The standard line is the .95 round and is preferred as a more silent running and clean cutting material.
I have used all of the brands and for residential lawns, our preferred use is the .95 round line as it knocks the turf down quickly for weekly maintained lawns. The square line is used for our taller overgrown weedy material and will grab obstacles quicker and throw the head around. The twist line and the square line is quite a bit more noisy to run and will grab. As for the twist, it splits into two pieces after a few hits on the concrete.
It is all about choice and the properties you are servicing.