PDA

View Full Version : Built a Velke

DavidD
06-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I guess its a velke i forget if Velke is a name brand .... I got bored last weekend so i decided to build a little something...

DavidD
06-05-2010, 11:32 PM
It took about 10 hrs but i was bored..

DavidD
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I have a mill and lathe makes things alot easier..

DavidD
06-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Trying to get the right height was quite interesting.

DavidD
06-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Works quite I might try a single wheel for my other walk behind.

MikeKle
06-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Looks pretty good! How much did it cost you? Isnt it a great feeling to build something like this and know youve saved tons of money?! I am currently figuring out how to build a single wheel sulky that works better than the regular single wheel velkes. Have some good ideas so far, but still not ready to start cutting steel yet, I will post pics of it when finished. I wish I had a mill and a huge commercial grade drill press. IF I had a mill, I could turn out some great things! Yeah, a mill, commercial drill press and a Millermatic 250, now that would be the set up! Wish I had the money!

DavidD
06-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure.. I had the steel and the wheel's were donated from a old pressure washer. I think i have around 30.00 in bearings and bushings.

dhunterd08
06-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I wish i had that kind of mind.....

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Just think, if you were to buy one from a dealer, one like that would be around $350-$400 !!!!! Ive always said all sulkies are WAY overpriced, all they are is steel and wheels??? Talk about greedy companies!! Have you though about trying to build a few of them and sell them to other LCOs? If enough of us did this, we could bring the prices down on the sulkies for good.

topsites
06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
That's pretty good...

demhustler
06-06-2010, 12:02 AM
hi, D

thanks 4 sharing & posting picts

true, Velke - brand name of Wright mfg http://www.wrightmfg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.view&productid=6A896138-AC87-8EDB-65753E5CF235FDE5#
they all sulkies, but often "velke" term refers to original (first) Velke: one-wheel sulky type

Q. : is there bearings or bushings on caster wheel forks?

DavidD
06-06-2010, 12:13 AM
You arent paying 400.00 for a only a Sulky About 100.00 of that is for there product liability. The hardest part of it was trying to get the angle on the main arm correct so when you stand on it your weight is directly over the wheels. So the mower kept enough weight on the rear wheels.

DavidD
06-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Q. : is there bearings or bushings on caster wheel forks?

Bearings.. the only bushings are the pivot point for the connecting arm.

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 12:22 AM

Did you put a grease fitting on that pivot point? Have you seen the single wheel sulky on the scag Pro ride? I really like that design! But I am going to try to come up with a single wheel design that no one has built yet, and maybe adding some sort of suspension or spring..maybe? I am thinking a larger single wheel is the key, like a front castor tire on a full size Lazer Z, 13x6.5 I think it is?

demhustler
06-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Looks pretty good! How much did it cost you? Isnt it a great feeling to build something like this and know youve saved tons of money?! I am currently figuring out how to build a single wheel sulky that works better than the regular single wheel velkes. Have some good ideas so far, but still not ready to start cutting steel yet, I will post pics of it when finished. I wish I had a mill and a huge commercial grade drill press. IF I had a mill, I could turn out some great things! Yeah, a mill, commercial drill press and a Millermatic 250, now that would be the set up! Wish I had the money!

10 hours and parts under hand - and you have working prototype, ready for work, improvement and enhancement - as you wish (not some manufacturer decided it for you)
wonderful feeling (and option)
good thing would be to do what D. did + arm articulation:

caster (swivel) wheels but arm (whole sulky) articulates about 45 degrees - to go into the turns (continue the turn, as org. velke)
- combination of convenience and pleasure to ride org. one-wheel velke,
- no middle trial (two wheels) and
-caster-wheels for ease of backing -up (since arm articulates only 45 degree - it wouldn't jackknife)

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I dont know how a sulky like that would work? if it was half trailering and half castor wheel type? I see your point about going into a turn with the trailering arm, and then the castors take over, but wouldnt the whole thing get bound up in some scenarios?

demhustler
06-06-2010, 12:46 AM
D, coud you show it on separate pict? (once abowe - too dark in this place)
thankyou

DavidD
06-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Did you put a grease fitting on that pivot point? Have you seen the single wheel sulky on the scag Pro ride? I really like that design! But I am going to try to come up with a single wheel design that no one has built yet, and maybe adding some sort of suspension or spring..maybe? I am thinking a larger single wheel is the key, like a front castor tire on a full size Lazer Z, 13x6.5 I think it is?

O yes it def got a grease fitting.. the caster fork bearings are sealed..there standard 1-3/8 X 3/4.. 3.75 Ea so when they fail no big deal not like they turn very fast..

demhustler
06-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I dont know how a sulky like that would work? if it was half trailering and half castor wheel type? I see your point about going into a turn with the trailering arm, and then the castors take over, but wouldnt the whole thing get bound up in some scenarios?

as a charm

we had junglejim caster sulkies - an when fastener pin (and bushing : ))))) worn-out - whole thing swivel (quite a bit) ... or you sticking some nail whatever instead of lost pin ... - same effect
makes ride muuch better

2. if single wheel - it definitely should be wider - so if hard to find one fat wheel - than to double wheel (might work)?

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 12:55 AM
O yes it def got a grease fitting.. the caster fork bearings are sealed..there standard 1-3/8 X 3/4.. 3.75 Ea so when they fail no big deal not like they turn very fast..

yeah, I only grease the front castors on my WBs like twice per year, they really dont need a grease fitting anyway, just some spray lube here and there would work fine.

DavidD
06-06-2010, 12:57 AM
there is the pivoting connection arm.

DavidD
06-06-2010, 01:01 AM
I considered a single wheel sulky with 1 caster, but your foot stance would be quite wide for a 4" wheel to pivot with a 20 Degree caster fork.

demhustler
06-06-2010, 01:09 AM
D, show what kind of casters and where those bearings
please : )))))))

DavidD
06-06-2010, 01:24 AM
I built the caster assemblies they were to expensive to buy.

DavidD
06-06-2010, 01:25 AM
The bearings for the caster assemblies 1 on top and 1 on the bottom.

demhustler
06-06-2010, 02:29 AM
dem.... you're the man ....
impressive work

topsites
06-06-2010, 02:49 AM
yeah, I only grease the front castors on my WBs like twice per year, they really dont need a grease fitting anyway, just some spray lube here and there would work fine.

That's odd, I grease the Toro's fittings every time it needs fuel,
yours the maintenance-free kind or do you not know how much
a new fork / caster assembly costs?

They do wear out, also you need to replace the bushings at least once a year.

I built the caster assemblies they were too expensive to buy.

Yup, I try to tell them.

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 09:16 AM
That's odd, I grease the Toro's fittings every time it needs fuel,
yours the maintenance-free kind or do you not know how much
a new fork / caster assembly costs?

They do wear out, also you need to replace the bushings at least once a year.

Yup, I try to tell them.

We are talking about the fitting for the castor forks..right? No, I dont grease those much, the castors dont spin around at high speed and dont really need constant grease, plus they never even get warm from use! Yours must be different? However I do grease the actual castor wheel bearing. and the castor bushings, Ive never replaced any of those on any mower Ive had, and never had any problems from them. Hmmmm?

DavidD
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Least expensive pre made caster i could find was 40.00 Each and the way they were built Dust and dirt would eat them up.