PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki String Trimmers?

garyo
06-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Anyone have experience with Kawasaki string trimmers good or bad? Haven't read much about them.

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I have heard good things about them, and supposedly they are the lightest trimmer out there at under 9 lbs for one model. But finding a dealer may be hard, I wanted to take one for a test drive, but everyone I called that they listed as a dealer said they really didnt sell kawasaki???

PPS.inc
06-06-2010, 10:25 AM
DO NOT BUY THEM...... I have owned one for 3 years and it always breaks down.....it's only been on the trailer for 4 wks...... stay away from them..... I am trying to get kaw to buy mine back....... ALL TRASH.... Dont think I will ever buy anything Kawi again... including tractor motors..

ed2150
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I have 3 of them, the oldest is 5 years old and the newest is 2 years old. None have ever been in the shop and they have only required normal maintenance.

Power-to-weight ratio is about as good as it gets and they are all I'll buy.

Toy2
06-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I have 3 of them, the oldest is 5 years old and the newest is 2 years old. None have ever been in the shop and they have only required normal maintenance.

Power-to-weight ratio is about as good as it gets and they are all I'll buy.Same here, 5 years old and last week the rope broke, put a small piece just to start it, works great, new rope/housing on order.

Only problem I have is the 10% ethanol in the gas, it runs a little rough sometimes, just like my blower, never has done it in the past.

GlynnC
06-06-2010, 03:19 PM
I maintain 10 Kawasaki trimmers for a guy, and have 2 of my own. The ones that are not mine get run to death--no guards, long string, run 30 or more hours a week--for about 4 to 5 years now. Exhaust ports need to be cleaned annually. Clutches, drive shafts, and rope starters are the only other problems. Have yet to declare one as unrepairable. Parts are more expensive--especially if bought from a dealer, but then Stihl parts are expensive, and can only be bought from a dealer--at least my experience.

I bought Kawasaki trimmers because of the proven track record of the ones I maintain.

twcw5804
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I have had great luck with Kawasaki motors on my push mowers, walk behinds, and ZTRs. I just bought a hedge trimmer of Kawasaki from Belmont power on ebay. It was crazy cheap, and they also sell the trimmers. I am also considering them for my next string trimmer purchase, but may go Stihl just because of all the dealer support here. I rarely use the hedge trimmers.

garyo
06-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Should I purchase one with a solid shaft or flexible drive shaft?

Lehighlawnpros
06-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I've been using two KGT27a trimmers for about two years now with no problems. I love the power>weight and that they don't leak fuel.
Mine have the solid driveshafts and run smoothly.

I grease the gearheads weekly, keep the spark plugs clean and clean the exhaust ports as required (only once so far). I'm using Amsoil synthetic oil at about 80:1

They run great with round .080 line, and "Weed Eater" brand is surprisingly good and in-expensive.
It runs smoother and with more RPM than thicker and/or non-round line.

FThera
06-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I picked up a new KGT27A about 6 weeks ago. It's a GREAT trimmer. Light and powerful.

garyo
06-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't see the 27A listed only the 27B.

Alan0354
06-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't have the trimmer, but I have the exact equivlent of the big Kawi bp, love it.

FThera
06-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Yep...the KGT27A has been replaced by the B model. I got lucky and found a New Old Stock A model. The motors are different as in EPA BS.

GlynnC
06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I maintain 10 Kawasaki trimmers for a guy, and have 2 of my own. The ones that are not mine get run to death--no guards, long string, run 30 or more hours a week--for about 4 to 5 years now. Exhaust ports need to be cleaned annually. Clutches, drive shafts, and rope starters are the only other problems. Have yet to declare one as unrepairable. Parts are more expensive--especially if bought from a dealer, but then Stihl parts are expensive, and can only be bought from a dealer--at least my experience.

I bought Kawasaki trimmers because of the proven track record of the ones I maintain.

One of the 10 mentioned above is a KGT27B, the others are A models. The owner didn't realize that the last one he bought was the "B" model. It may be a bit more cold natured, but seems to be okay other than that--just replaced a clutch in it. My 2 are the KGT27A models--wish I'd had enough money to buy more when I bought my new one in December. The "C" model is the newest model--no experience with this model.

RDA
06-07-2010, 12:48 AM
I picked up a new KGT27A about 6 weeks ago. It's a GREAT trimmer. Light and powerful.

Heh, me too, just bought a KGT27A as well, I did a local search of all the Kawasaki dealers in my area and found one that had one last KGT27A in stock and bought it based on various comments I heard about them (which basically said they were the best trimmer they had used, pound for pound, powerful but light).

Having used it for three weeks now, it is the best string trimmer I have ever used (and I really liked my Echo models over the years but not as well as the KGT27A). It is light and strong and it is very easy to use. Best part, it starts first pull every time (even a stone cold start) and it is ready to run immediately).

I like the motor on the KGT27A so well, I went ahead and bought the corresponding edger (KEL27A) and hedge trimmer (KHT600D).

Regards,

Rich

FThera
06-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Yep...Mine starts first pull every time too.

RDA
06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Yep...Mine starts first pull every time too.

And honestly, I don't understand how. I have never seen any two-stroke engine start on the first pull. I fully expect a two-stroke engine to need at least a pull or two just to prime everything (even with a primer bulb). I was honestly shocked that my trimmer started on the first pull the day I purchased it (and every day since).

Regards,

Rich

Alan0354
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
With all the complains about the major brands, maybe people should have an open mind and give Kawi a try, so is Maruyama. Kawi blowers are all Maru blowers. I don't think they share the trimmers though.

I read from older posts here that people think 27C is better than 27B. This is just from my failing memory!!!:cry::cry:

garyo
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
My local dealer has few 27A's left. I'll probably go and pick one up.
Thanks

naveslawncare
06-07-2010, 07:35 PM
ive been in this for 8 years and these are the best trimmers i have used thus far

gtwa
06-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I own a KGT27B and my guys don't like it they prefer the shindaiwa string trimmers. The shindaiwa string trimmers you can just fire one off standing up and off you go. That is not the case with the 27B. The pull cord is so hard to pull you have to place it on the ground and pull it slowly a couple of times before you can try to fire it off. Then you have to let it idle for a minute or it will die if you give it gas. The 27B also has more vibration than the shindaiwa string trimmers.

GlynnC
06-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I own a KGT27B and my guys don't like it they prefer the shindaiwa string trimmers. The shindaiwa string trimmers you can just fire one off standing up and off you go. That is not the case with the 27B. The pull cord is so hard to pull you have to place it on the ground and pull it slowly a couple of times before you can try to fire it off. Then you have to let it idle for a minute or it will die if you give it gas. The 27B also has more vibration than the shindaiwa string trimmers.

The KGT27B that I worked on last week--put a new clutch on it--pulled very easy, started easy, but did seem a bit cold natured--didn't use it enough to be able to determine it's nature.

Which Shindaiwa are you running?

gtwa
06-08-2010, 01:18 AM
I have several a 230,231, and the old 270 model my guys don't like that one due to its weight. Maybe the Kawasaki is defective its less than a year old when I asked about it being hard to pull they said it's because of the stricter enviromental regulations where the tolerances are much tighter.

Differential
06-08-2010, 01:50 AM
I have the KEL27B Edger. It's pretty much the same thing as the trimmers, and it has been great. It does HONESTLY start on first pull every time, but it takes at least 60 seconds to warm up. I've been very happy with it.

RDA
06-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I have several a 230,231, and the old 270 model my guys don't like that one due to its weight. Maybe the Kawasaki is defective its less than a year old when I asked about it being hard to pull they said it's because of the stricter enviromental regulations where the tolerances are much tighter.

I don't believe it is normal for it to pull hard, there must be something wrong with it. You may be limited on the number of dealers in your area but I would definitely take it in and/or compare it to a new one (pull both of them back-to-back and then have them tell you what is reasonable and what isn't).

Regards,

Rich

Differential
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Oh yeah, parts are a little more expensive. If I'm not mistaken, the air filter is about $10, and a replacement gear case for my edger is about $40 (my fault).

RDA
06-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah, parts are a little more expensive. If I'm not mistaken, the air filter is about $10, and a replacement gear case for my edger is about $40 (my fault).

An OE Kawasaki air filter is $4.09 for the KGT27.

Regards,

Rich

dstalli
06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

thanks Glynn,I really like mine also, it is so much lighter than the Shindowa. What is the best way to clean the exhaust port, this year i just sprayed Carb cleaner. I am sure the is a better way.

GlynnC
06-08-2010, 02:06 PM
thanks Glynn,I really like mine also, it is so much lighter than the Shindowa. What is the best way to clean the exhaust port, this year i just sprayed Carb cleaner. I am sure the is a better way.

I've cleaned so many exhaust ports, I think I could do with my eyes closed. Remove the engine cover--3 or 5 screws depending on model. Remove the muffler, 2 small bolts. Position the piston to the bottom ( I know some will say put it at the top--I don't). I use a popcicle stick (grandkids) to scrap the carbon out of the exhaust port--don't use anything metal, you could damage the piston or the cylinder. I then remove the spark plug and blow compressed area through the hole, and also through the exhaust port to remove all the loose carbon. I usually burn out the muffler with a propane torch while I have it off--heat it up real good and you can see the fumes burning off. Replace the muffler, using anti-sieze lubricant (found at auto parts stores) on the muffler bolts so they will come off easy next time. Reassemble and you're good to go.

GlynnC
06-08-2010, 02:12 PM

In my opinion, you've owned the "cream of the crop" of Shindaiwas. I own a 270--it's great, strong, starts 1st pull, and heavvvvvvy! Owned a 230, gave it back to the LCO who gave it to me--sorta regret giving it back. I maintain 5 or 6 of the 270's for a guy--they just keep running. He goes through a clutch and shaft ocassionaly, but they have been great over the years. His guys pick the 270 off the trailer vs the lighter RedMax, because they know the 270 will start and run right every time.

Alan0354
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I don't believe it is normal for it to pull hard, there must be something wrong with it. You may be limited on the number of dealers in your area but I would definitely take it in and/or compare it to a new one (pull both of them back-to-back and then have them tell you what is reasonable and what isn't).

Regards,

Rich

I found my Shindaiwa M242 hard to pull also for a 24cc engine. The Maru 64cc is out of this world( I have to have it on the ground, one hand hold it down hard and pull!!) This really make the 4 cycles like Shindaiwa C4 and Honda shine!! They are just light pulls. It really is not how many pull to start, more important is how hard to pull. I had my Maru bp yank out of my hand ones when I lean on it and use my body weight. It is two pull start, but it is really two big pulls!!!! I have no idea of the 4Mix whether it is easy to pull or not.

Differential
06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
An OE Kawasaki air filter is $4.09 for the KGT27.

Regards,

Rich

OE Air Filter is $10.65 for the KEL 27B edger at Partstree

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I like them and have had good luck with Kawasaki trimmers. They are lighter as well which makes them a favorite on the crew.

RDA
06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
OE Air Filter is $10.65 for the KEL 27B edger at Partstree

Weird that the KEL27B air filter is differeint than the KEL27A and so much more, my KGT27A, KHT600D and KEL27A all take the same $4.09 air filter. The "B" models appear to have a different air intake design and use a more expensive air filter.

By the way, your filter is $9.28 at Mowpart.

Regards,

Rich

Alan0354
06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I think they keep their equipment price low but sock it to you on the maintenance stuff.

I almost fell off my feet when I found out the air filter of my Maruyama blower ( same as Kawi KRB750) cost $21!!!!! Twenty one dollars!!!!!