PDA

View Full Version : Did my first demo today

Norway911
07-16-2002, 11:03 PM
Today I demoed two Ferris mowers. First I ran the Pro Cut 20 61" for about 30 minutes before it ran out of gas, had to help the dealer push it on the trailer. Anyways, I liked it a little better than I thought I would, but I thought the ride was extremely bumpy. I feel like it is hard to handle but maybe that improves with experience? I understand what some guys were saying about being far away from the deck, it was a little hard to see where the deck was going while I was in tight places.

I did like the cut, the grass I was cutting wasn't too much to brag about but it did a nice job and actually looked good for a change, just wish I could have finished before the tank ran dry.

So, after the outfront the dealer brought the IS 3000 over to my old house (I just moved) where I drove around on it for a few hours (he left it overnight for me). I got use to it and experimented with it in my old yard before giving it a real nice cut, then did three accounts which are right next to one another over there. The cut was great, the speed was great, it handled extremely well. I was a little shaky at first seeing how I have never really used a ZTR before but after a few minutes I was doing a lot better. I am eager to try the Exmark now. Everyone says I will like it better, if I liked the Ferris this much, the Lazer must be amazing. Okay, I shouldn't get too carried away here...I must say I thought the machine was great on FLAT surfaces. In several places where there were small dips or small hills the mower scalped. This must be what the Exmark dealer was talking about when he told me that the IS system does more harm then good. But other than that I was impressed with the cut. I am actually looking at the 1000z which doesn't have the IS system so maybe I won't have that problem. I can't wait to see what the Lazer and Scag will do in the places where the Ferris scalped.

Anyways, the funny thing that happend was that when I was going to put the mower in the back yard (so the dealer could get it in the morning) I looked down and saw that the front left wheel was a little crooked. At first I thought it was just the way the machine was sitting on the driveway but upon closer inspection I realized that there was a nut missing from the bolt holding the wheel on and that the bolt was about to fall out. Has this ever happend to anyone else? This really makes me cast doubt on how good this machine is, I can't have problems like that out in the field. The mower only has six hours on it so maybe that has something to do with it. But is it possible to run the machine in such a way that I could loosen the bolt?

Any advice would be great!!

PS: When I told the Ferris dealer what Exmark said about the Ferris, he said he was full of ****, (of course)! LOL!

LAWNGODFATHER
07-17-2002, 01:25 AM
Just wait till you use a LAZER!!!!

then post.

Enough said

BTW dealer puts the wheels on the mower, good example of their work huh?

Cut 2 Please
07-17-2002, 02:33 PM
One of the reasons it scalped could have been because of the loose wheel. I bought an IS 3000 last week and it seems to scalp less than my 1000 did. Also check the air pressure in the tires. If they are low that will also give it the tendency to scalp. I am very interested in hearing what you think about the exmark and the scag when you demo them. Please post when you do and tell what you liked and disliked about them and what makes one better than the other. My opinion is they are all real good mowers and it all boils down to what works best for you.
Around here we have a lot of praire mud soil. When it gets dry it cracks and becomes very bumpy. I have found the suspension on the Ferris gives me a better ride and I am able to cut faster. Just my $.02.

HLC
07-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Demo all the rest and, when you're ready to buy, demo the best....Hustler:cool:

firefighter
07-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Wait until you try the scag, I like the Lazer but my choice is the

SCAG CUB:blob4:

Norway911
07-17-2002, 09:11 PM
Just found out today while getting my hair cut that my barber's husband owns a Turf Tiger which he uses on his home and her shop.

I going to go out there tomorrow and fool around with it. The cut at the shop looks real nice.

Phishook
07-18-2002, 03:04 AM
Demo as many as you can. Don't forget the Great Dane Chariot!!! (low center of gravity, excellent dealer service,ect.)