PDA

View Full Version : Need help laying stone patio

twcw5804
06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I've mentioned in other areas I'm really wanting to get into other areas of landscaping. So last week when my dad told me he was laying down a patio in back with a firepit in the middle I was a little upset that I wouldn't have time to be there working on it, perfect place to practice and learn.

Went over this morning and they are at the point of laying stone, its in a 6'x6' pattern. When we got to the edge of laying out the first side there is about a 2inch gap or more. We measured out the other side going out and the same thing would happen there too. What did they do wrong that made the gaps on each side.

Patio is 16'2''X16'2"

you can see the gap in the pic.

dtriv89
06-06-2010, 01:59 PM
why would the edge be installed before the actual pavers?

twcw5804
06-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure, I've never done this and I know this is my dads first time too. He got an instruction list from somewhere and has been following it.

So you are just supposed to lay them out and then install the border?

MrRob
06-06-2010, 04:28 PM
move the edging!

twcw5804
06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I called my dad from work and told him about what you guys said to do with the edging. I'm going over after work to look and see what they got done tonight.

FiveOJoe
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
move the edging!

or get a brick-stretcher, whichever is easier.:)

RakenShovel
06-06-2010, 10:38 PM
If you're out of square with whatever direction you're going in( I should say, if the patio meets up against some sort of concrete or the house itself) you'll have a problem eventually whether you lay the edge first or not.

If you're having trouble running in the direction you want, run strings so you have a line to work off of.