PDA

View Full Version : Question - "Low Sail" Blades on ZTR

coughlin47
06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I began my research on a new ZTR about 2 weeks ago. Although I've mowed my 2 acres for over 20 years with a standard 48 inch tractor, I've really never paid much attention to the blades. Now, of course after my research, I'm learning that many different components go into a good cut.
My blades on the tractor are 'High Lift', which I assume in the mower jargon is same as 'High Sail'.
One of the ZTR models I'm considering, actually has in their specifications that it comes with 'Low Sail' blades, which again I assume means 'Low Lift'. I assumed that High Lift blades gave the best cut. Why would they advertise low lift blades. Are there any advantages with this blade?
Thanks,
Bill

MS_SURVEYOR
06-06-2010, 09:33 PM
'High Sail' = 'High Lift'

'Low Sail' = 'Low Lift'

Never heard it put that way, but that'll work. It depends on the type and location of the grass. My grass being southern Bahia, I need high lift blades to move the grass clipping out the discharge chute, and to lift the long blades of grass and seed shoots so I can have a complete cut. Anything less than high lift blades I have a ugly mow. I probably could get by with low lift blades on my mother in laws being St Augustine grass. I just go with the high lift blades because that works for me. But if I lived up north with shorter softer grass, I would have to try a few different lift blades to find out what would work.

I know this didn't help, but you had a good question.

ms

coughlin47
06-06-2010, 10:30 PM
'High Sail' = 'High Lift'

'Low Sail' = 'Low Lift'

Never heard it put that way, but that'll work. It depends on the type and location of the grass. My grass being southern Bahia, I need high lift blades to move the grass clipping out the discharge chute, and to lift the long blades of grass and seed shoots so I can have a complete cut. Anything less than high lift blades I have a ugly mow. I probably could get by with low lift blades on my mother in laws being St Augustine grass. I just go with the high lift blades because that works for me. But if I lived up north with shorter softer grass, I would have to try a few different lift blades to find out what would work.

I know this didn't help, but you had a good question.

ms
Thanks for taking the time to respond. After I get the mower (will have to wait a few months) I'll probably try different blades (unless of course I love the cut I get). I just found it unusual that they advertised the low sail blades in the tech specs. (Maybe others do as well and I never noticed). I did our own lawn (2 acres) over 20 years ago in Eastern PA, and I think it was a mix of fescue, rye, and kentucky blue.
Thanks again,
Bill

MS_SURVEYOR
06-07-2010, 01:12 AM
What mower are you looking at? Each and every mower deck have different personalities by different brands. By far the best mows I see are by Scag Velocity decks. From what I read, and see in real action, they can cut everything, wet, tall, thick, manicured. They seem to have a lot of lift, with a wide discharge chute. I see a lot of Exmarks around town. They mow a great lawn as long as it's dry, and not very tall. They by report have a super lift, but can't get the grass out of the deck. I see a Kubota now and then. Nice cut. Don't know much about them. I watched a land owner mowing with a Hustler a couple of years ago. I don't know what model he had, but I was impressed with the size of land he was mowing, and how good it looked. Those are all commercial mowers. I see plenty of homeowner mowers. Most do a fairly good job. If they are setup correctly. Meaning tire pressures to the correct psi. Having the deck level with the correct forward pitch. One homeowner brand that catches my eye as far as blowing a big dust cloud is Husqvarna. I have a neighbor that got one this spring. I can hear the blades turning as soon as he engages them. Given a short time I can see a dust could above his property from a 1/4 mile away though the trees between us. I rode by him one day mowing and I could barely see him through the dust. My mother in law's neighbor is an equipment salesman. I had a chance to watch him with the same looking Husqvarna as my wife was mowing with my lawn tractor. Before I even saw him I could hear the same loud blade sound. And as he came around the back of his house there was that big dust cloud around him. I'd almost bet they had super high lift blades. But they seem to have a fast blade tip speed. Oh they cut a nice looking lawn. But I don't think they look any better or may be not as good as my lawn tractor I have setup with high lift blades. I mowed my Bahia yard, only 1 acre out of 5 I mow Friday with my Bad Boy ztr. And I must say it looks very nice. I use high lift blade on it. I'm planing on getting wider high lift blades for it from 2.5 wide to 3 inches wide. I'm finding I need more lift. So a large sail is in order. But my grass changes during the season. I have early spring with a lot of juicy weeds. Then my grass wakes up with slow growing soft grass. Right now the Bahia is raging with 2 inches of growth every 4 days. Then soon the seed shoots will be every where. That's 12 inches every 4 days. I need to get those clippings mowed, out the deck, and spread out across a wide area.

Oh well! I didn't have a chance to mow yesterday or today. It don't look good tomorrow going to the dr's mid day. I'm missing the mowing blues.

Good Luck!

CH3ROK33
06-07-2010, 01:18 AM
I work in central Florida and it's not always on the finer lawns in town. The low lift blades are used down here if you run into a lot with more sand than grass. Our season often starts out that way in the more rural areas and last until the summer rains come. The low lift blades produce less blow out (sand storm) and last longer than the high lifts because they don't pick up as much sand. They don't cut any better, you just eat less sand. The only good thing about these lots (can't call them lawns) is by the time you finish, your deck is sandblasted clean. No grass buildup or rust. And no, they don't want it sodded or seeded. They love the low maintenance and would prefer to keep what money they have left in their pocket.