PDA

View Full Version : low lift blades

drains
06-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Would using low lift blades help with reducing blowout? I'm tired as heck with being absolutely covered in the blowout from under my deck. It has been dry here but its getting ridiculous. If I didn't wear a dust mask I swear I couldn't even breath! I gotta do something.

Think Green
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
What type of mower...........?
Mulching kit or not....?
We used to use the low lift straight cut blades for nothing but extracting grass through the discharge side only!
If you are mulching grass without a mulch kit designed on the unit or the wrong blades, you will get a dirt bath............! Baffles, and air dam kits are purchasable for some models of mowers and the blades designed for them are purchasable also.

drains
06-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Gravely 152 XDZ 23 hp kaw 52" deck no mulch kit just discharging out of the chute. We got a couple days of rain but it really hasn't helped much. Thanks for your reply.

ajslands
06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Why don't you close the damper a little bit and then you won't get covered or don't mow into the wind
Posted via Mobile Device

drains
06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Why don't you close the damper a little bit and then you won't get covered or don't mow into the wind
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't noticed a damper anywhere on my mower deck. I will look though. I have the chute off of it to get maximum discharge so I can mow faster right now. As far as the wind I do try not to mow into it but I cant count on the wind being out of a certain direction for very long at a time, it varies greatly here and gusts at times. I just thought that maybe low lifts wouldn't pick up as much of the dirt as high lifts which I use now. I'm ordering some low lifts today and I will see for myself if it helps at all. Thanks for the replies.

ajslands
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
There should be a couple bolts by your discharge chute, if younloosen those you can pull it close to closed and it will disburs the grass less.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Wait hold on here. Are you talking about blow out in front of the deck? I assume thats what your talking about. If thats the case your deck is out of wack and needs to be leveled and pitched correctly. Our 60" X-Factor deck has no blowout what so ever.

twhitworth
06-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm in east texas also and have been getting covered in dirt and grass. I have a total mulch kit on my exmark and a mulching shield on my great dane. They both blow out the front and right into my face.

drains
06-08-2010, 05:58 AM
I have always gotten grass and dirt on me while mowing and thats no problem but lately it has been so dry here that clouds of pure dirt are spawned each time I make a pass and it lingers in the air for a very long time. The cut grass falls to the ground but the dust and dirt wont. I have started wearing a dust mask just so I can breath, literally. All I am trying to do is find a way to reduce the amount of dirt being picked up and thrown into the air which then ends up on me and everything around where I am mowing, cars, patios, patio furniture, etc. I hope the low lifts help if not I'll just pray for more rain I guess, although it hasn't helped so far. Thanks guys.

Oldtimer
06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
The highest pressure area under the deck is between the left and center blades.

The newer eXmark decks have an adjustable blowout baffle across the front of the deck.

Try running low lift blades for the left & center blades and a high lift for the right blade.

Oldtimer

drains
06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
The highest pressure area under the deck is between the left and center blades.

The newer eXmark decks have an adjustable blowout baffle across the front of the deck.

Try running low lift blades for the left & center blades and a high lift for the right blade.

Oldtimer

Thanks, I will definitely try that one.

BINKY1902
06-15-2010, 08:34 PM
I know where it's coming from. It comes out of the front of the Gravely deck where the middle rollers are mounted. The deck has a notch cut out of it for the rollers and it actually tries to discharge out of it. That's gonna be your deal, I have the 152 pro turn. I put some low-lifts on mine and it straightened it out. Yeah I went through some old mulched leaves on mine and they were blowing right in my face. Weird way to mount the rollers, but oh well.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-16-2010, 12:41 AM
i have a 52" scag walk behind with low lift blades, i bought them on accident. iwasnt paying attention. i dont like them as much as my mulcher blades or high lift. the low lift blades leave to much lay behind.

CH3ROK33
06-17-2010, 03:44 AM
Wait hold on here. Are you talking about blow out in front of the deck? I assume thats what your talking about. If thats the case your deck is out of wack and needs to be leveled and pitched correctly. Our 60" X-Factor deck has no blowout what so ever.

Have you checked your deck like suggested? I had the same problems with my Exmark 52" Ultracut deck. After reading so many posts about checking the rake on the deck, it finally got through my thick skull :wall. My deck was set level. After setting it 1/4" lower in the front it now cuts like a new machine. I never see the sand storm that I was trying to mow through before and my blades last twice as long. I am now back to cutting grass instead of just sand blasting my blades and deck. Good Luck. Let us know how it gets resolved for the next guy searching for an answer.