PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Z4

eddiek2000
06-06-2010, 09:36 PM
A couple of questions.

1) Difference between a z4 and z7.
2) Is the suspension seat worthwhile?
3) Are the flex forks worth it?

I am looking at a z4/25Hp/54" deck. Is that enough HP? I see a lot of other dealers selling large decks and small engines. Why?

I am a homeowner who will be cutting 1/2 acre manicured lawn and 1/5 acres of not so manicured backyard. My trusted Husky, 18/48 riding tractor just died and I am in need of a replacement ASAP.

Tell me about Gator blades.

Thanks!!!

mowerconsultant
06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
1) a Z4 is a mini framed Hustler commercial mower, available in 48, 54 and 60 inch decks. the XR-7 is a deck, it is on the Hustler Z and Super Z full framed units.
The Hustler Z has the same drive system as the Z4.
2) The suspension seat is a very nice set up, especially on harder ground and rougher areas.
3) Same as # 2... lol... well worth the money.

The 25hp is excellent on the 54" very good match to deck size, as to other companies offering different hp, depends on what target price they are shooting for, its a marketing and pricing thing with many companies.
The Gator blades are a nice set up, they will reduce clippings nicely and work well side discharging, catching and mulching.

Pj

Volnut
06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I recently bought a Z4 and love it. I had a residential Cub Cadet ZT and the difference is night and day. Get one, you won't be sorry.

The only thing is they don't make a stripe kit for it. I made a big league lawn knock off this weekend and couldn't wait to stripe my yard. For whatever reason it won't stripe. This may or may not matter to you and it's definitely not a deal breaker by any means. Maybe Hustler has one for the Z4 in the works.

eddiek2000
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks PJ. A little follow up. As far as the warranty. Dealer said for residential use the Z4 has a 4 year warranty. Is this correct? Also, Does the Z4 take 3 gator blades or is it a different configuration. Do you happen to have part numbers? Thanks!!

bigorange03
06-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a z4 with a 27 hp kaw 60" and i really like this set up.the stearing system to me is better than the super z.I also have the suspension seat and flex forks and in my opinion they are worth every penny invest!!!!You will not be disapointed with this unit.

mowerconsultant
06-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks PJ. A little follow up. As far as the warranty. Dealer said for residential use the Z4 has a 4 year warranty. Is this correct? Also, Does the Z4 take 3 gator blades or is it a different configuration. Do you happen to have part numbers? Thanks!!

Yes he is right, light commercial / farm & ranch application is 4yr or 500hrs
(whichever comes first)
As to the Gators, the mower comes from the Factory with regular side discharge blades, they are Fusions and the mower uses 3 of them.
The part # for the 54" Gators for your mower are Hustler part # 797712
Hope this helps.

Pj

cbkc
06-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Pull the trigger on the Hustler, I'm on my 3rd and love them (54"Fastrack, 44" Mini-Z, 60"
Super Z). Highest blade tip speed on the market which means best cut. I really like the gator blades, I've used them on all 3 and they are very helpful when mowing over tall grass or chewing up leaves in the fall, the blades seem to tackle anything well. The suspension seat works great, I've heard the flex forks are awesome but I haven't used them yet. As far as striping the lawn I've had excellent luck with all 3 mowers striping well, if you have any problems with striping you can always switch to high lift blades. I have a striping kit from Big League Lawns but don't even use it, message me if anyone wants to buy it from me cheap.

eddiek2000
06-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm convinced. Just need to find a dealer I like and a good price. I found one in Fairfax,VA , but that is a little bit of haul. There is one in King George, but his pricing is crazy all over the place. Next closest guy, keeps promising to call with a quote, but never does. So now I am either gonna try DE or the next closest guy near Annapolis, MD. My zip is 20622, and I am looking for the 54 with suspension seat IN STOCK with a good price.

mowerconsultant
06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm convinced. Just need to find a dealer I like and a good price. I found one in Fairfax,VA , but that is a little bit of haul. There is one in King George, but his pricing is crazy all over the place. Next closest guy, keeps promising to call with a quote, but never does. So now I am either gonna try DE or the next closest guy near Annapolis, MD. My zip is 20622, and I am looking for the 54 with suspension seat IN STOCK with a good price.

Please email me your information and I will forward to our regional sales manager and have him find one for you.

Pj

eddiek2000
06-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Any word from the district manager? I was hoping to be picking up a new hustler tomorrow AM.

eddiek2000
06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Pulled the trigger. Got an awesome price, but had to order the unit. I hope it ships soon.

I did find a demo unit in DE, but for the Price I opted for a new unit.

mowerconsultant
06-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Excellent!
Welcome to the Hustler family!!

eddiek2000
06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Brought it home today. WOW! The suspension seat is awesome. The cut was great, even though the neighbors mower trashed the lawn the day before.( It had to be cut and it was so long bagging was required) The back yard was tall weedy, but it is mostly flat now. Very few stragglers.

Ends up the district manager dropped it off last week. Unfortunately with Father's day, I couldn't get it until today.

One question. The one I demo'd had the port for the air flow meter, but the one I brought home does not have the screw on port. I was going to get the gauge, but now there is no where to screw it into. Did the design change?

Can't wait for the Gators to arrive.

mowerconsultant
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Brought it home today. WOW! The suspension seat is awesome. The cut was great, even though the neighbors mower trashed the lawn the day before.( It had to be cut and it was so long bagging was required) The back yard was tall weedy, but it is mostly flat now. Very few stragglers.

Ends up the district manager dropped it off last week. Unfortunately with Father's day, I couldn't get it until today.

One question. The one I demo'd had the port for the air flow meter, but the one I brought home does not have the screw on port. I was going to get the gauge, but now there is no where to screw it into. Did the design change?

Can't wait for the Gators to arrive.

Can you email me the serial # of the mower? I will inquire into the port.

eddiek2000
06-24-2010, 10:03 PM
PJ, One more. Do you have a part number for the air filter? I am doing a parts order and prefer to do it all at once.

My backyard is VERY dusty and I can see needing one before the end of summer.

eddiek2000
06-26-2010, 10:30 AM
One more thing. Can you find a part number for the plastic elbow the brass fitting screws into? The Z4's elbow isn't shaped with a place to drill and tap for the brass fitting for the air flow meter.

Thanks PJ!

mowerconsultant
06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
PJ, One more. Do you have a part number for the air filter? I am doing a parts order and prefer to do it all at once.

My backyard is VERY dusty and I can see needing one before the end of summer.

Here is a link to your parts manual > http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/111637_0610.pdf

All of the part #'s you need are in there, except the engine parts, the engine parts you would have to get from Kawasaki.
The engine application on the Z4 uses the Kawasaki remote air filter set up, unlike our Hustler Z and Super Z's where we put the Donaldson system on those.
Here are the Hustler part #'s for the air filters, these are Kawasaki filters in Hustler packaging.
23, 25HP Main Air Filter Hustler Part Number 785261
23, 25HP Safety air filter Hustler Part Number 785279

Pj

mowerconsultant
06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
One more thing. Can you find a part number for the plastic elbow the brass fitting screws into? The Z4's elbow isn't shaped with a place to drill and tap for the brass fitting for the air flow meter.

Thanks PJ!

From what I can tell, Kawasaki doesn't sell just the elbow, they sell the filter housing with the elbow attached, it is Kawasaki part # 11011-7013
Also from what I see if you buy the housing with the filters and the end cap it may be less expensive than buying the housing and the filter separately, I see your looking to buy the filter anyways, this may be a better option.
It is part # 11010-7011

eddiek2000
06-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks PJ! You are a true asset!

tootalltrucker
06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
I purchased a Z4 last week with 54" deck, suspension seat and flex forks. Flex forks had to ordered so I had a few hours on the machine before I put the flex forks on. Also drove a machine at the dealer with and without the suspension seat. Only a few hours so far but in my opinion they are both worth the money as the suspension seat makes a noticable difference and the flex forks make an incremental difference that is noticable when you hit a rough spot. I have not noticed the scalping or crop circles a few folks have mentioned. Hope this helps.

Ex-Tech
07-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I just took delivery of a new Z4 last Thursday. I absolutely love it. Upgraded from a Toro Titan Z and this mower doesn't beat me to death like the Toro did.

I got the 54" deck w/25hp Kaw and added Flex Forks. THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! :)

After over 5 gallons of gas, I love it more every day. I was hoping to get a striping kit for it, but as of now they do not offer one.

mowerconsultant
07-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I just took delivery of a new Z4 last Thursday. I absolutely love it. Upgraded from a Toro Titan Z and this mower doesn't beat me to death like the Toro did.

I got the 54" deck w/25hp Kaw and added Flex Forks. THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! :)

After over 5 gallons of gas, I love it more every day. I was hoping to get a striping kit for it, but as of now they do not offer one.

Congrats on the new ride!
Welcome to the family!!

Pj

Ex-Tech
07-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks, PJ. And thanks for the email reply.

mowerconsultant
07-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks, PJ. And thanks for the email reply.

No problem, that is what we are here for.

Pj

Ex-Tech
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Hustler Rules! I love my new mower....and my Flex Forks. :usflag:

eddiek2000
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey PJ,

Is this side catch for real? Is it available? I can see it being of use when I let the grass get a little long and just need a little clean up on the second pass.

http://www.hewlettequipment.com.au/hustler.htm

http://www.hewlettequipment.com.au/images/sidecatcher_1.jpg

mowerconsultant
08-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey PJ,

Is this side catch for real? Is it available? I can see it being of use when I let the grass get a little long and just need a little clean up on the second pass.

http://www.hewlettequipment.com.au/hustler.htm

http://www.hewlettequipment.com.au/images/sidecatcher_1.jpg

We dont offer it from the factory, that is something our distributor in Australia does for his dealers down under.
Here is where you can get them in the U.S. > https://www.grasscatchersusa.com/catalog/plugins/lineitems/xq/asp/ScreenOption.Browse/GroupID.81/qx/index.htm

Reference the FasTrak SD model to fit a Z4.