PDA

View Full Version : Water Feature Help

emby
06-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask for your expertise with a water feature I am working on.

Here are the details:

It will be round in shape with a circumfrence of 20ft
There will be a shallow pool of water up to 9 to 12 inches.
The base will be coloured concrete.
The structure will be made of all copper and shaped like a 10 foot tree with feather like leaves. The leaves will hold water then overflow down into the water pool below.
No fish just a water feature with a pump and drain.
To hide the wires of the pump and fixtures, the fountain designer will make a copper chase way from the bottom of the fixture to the side of the pool then up the side.
My plan is to have 6 Unique Nautilus pond lights placed cemetrically inside the fountain area (submerged under the water and out from the structure). I want the lights to provide a shimmering effect on the structure.
I am not too sure on the bulb degree to use for this intended design.
Just wondering what some of you have done when lighting from within a pool of water and creating that effect?
Thanks for your help.

Ken

emby
06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I know this question above kinda sounds silly but what I was looking for was information on the effects of the beam spread when shining up through the water. Will it really matter what beam spread I use? My thoughts were that the water will disperse the light anyway.
Just wondering what type of bulbs you have used with the lights installed under water shining up on an object?
Thanks for your help.

Ken

David Gretzmier
06-10-2010, 11:19 PM
beam spreads do make a difference under water, but not so much at 9-12 inches. photometics apply more in 4-5 feet of water as far as the effect on the surface. water ripple shadows, those cool jaggedy yellow lines that come from uplighting underwater and water movement combined, are a function of wattage, spread, placement, angle, and water clarity, etc. you really have to play with it at night with aqua socks, swim trunks, some rock shims and keep getting in and out to see the effect. pick a night when the temps are at least 80, if that even happens up there. the benefit, though is well worth experiencing moisture.

Alan B
06-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Hi Ken,

20' circumference would mean it only has a 6' diameter (3' radius) but you mentioned 6 underwater lights (a lot), not sure if you meant 20' diameter.

Anyways I would use a 60 degree given the short distance for light to spread. Personally I feel wattage, # of fixtures, placement would have bigger impact on the effect than beam spread.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Go bright on this one if there is any ambient light around. I would say 35W Halogen MR16 at minimum. I dont think that there would be any advantage to using a 3560 lamp over a FMW and so would opt for the GE MR16 in order to maximize your lamp life. I think your fixture count is good, just be sure to have extra room in the transformer in order to allow for more if needed.

I would consider a better fixture if the budget will allow.

Make sure you use a transformer rated for use with submersible fixtures.

Regards

emby
06-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Hi Ken,

20' circumference would mean it only has a 6' diameter (3' radius) but you mentioned 6 underwater lights (a lot), not sure if you meant 20' diameter.

Anyways I would use a 60 degree given the short distance for light to spread. Personally I feel wattage, # of fixtures, placement would have bigger impact on the effect than beam spread.

Gr1ffin,

Sorry as I did mean 20ft in diameter. (at least that now)
Thanks very much for the tips.

emby
06-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Go bright on this one if there is any ambient light around. I would say 35W Halogen MR16 at minimum. I dont think that there would be any advantage to using a 3560 lamp over a FMW and so would opt for the GE MR16 in order to maximize your lamp life. I think your fixture count is good, just be sure to have extra room in the transformer in order to allow for more if needed.

I would consider a better fixture if the budget will allow.

Make sure you use a transformer rated for use with submersible fixtures.

Regards

As always thank you.:canadaflag:
I will PM you James.

emby
06-14-2010, 12:10 AM
beam spreads do make a difference under water, but not so much at 9-12 inches. photometics apply more in 4-5 feet of water as far as the effect on the surface. water ripple shadows, those cool jaggedy yellow lines that come from uplighting underwater and water movement combined, are a function of wattage, spread, placement, angle, and water clarity, etc. you really have to play with it at night with aqua socks, swim trunks, some rock shims and keep getting in and out to see the effect. pick a night when the temps are at least 80, if that even happens up there. the benefit, though is well worth experiencing moisture.

Thanks for your help and sharing your experiences David.:dancing:

Ken

David Gretzmier
06-14-2010, 02:22 AM
if the temps are colder, neoprene waders help, but If I bend over or kneel too much water gets in them and they do not protect you from cold water then. but they help. good luck.