PDA

View Full Version : Spreading River Rock.

Scag48
07-17-2002, 01:35 AM
Hey guys. I've got a bit of a problem. I'm supposed to spread 10-15 yards of river rock at a job that I've been continuously for the last 3 weeks. Anyway, my problem is that I know I have to put down landscape plastic/fabric to keep the weeds down, then put the rock on top. I'm renting a Bobcat to do this (YAY!) because it would take forever to do it by hand. How should I go about this? I'm worried that I will rip the fabric when I do the 180 turn to get around the back. I was thinking about rolling some of the fabric, dumping, then rolling more each load. That will be slow, but it seems like the only way. I could have my dad or someone to just roll it for me so I don't have to get off the machine. Anyone have the problem as well? Any ideas? Thanks guys!

dan deutekom
07-17-2002, 06:29 PM
Just back out with the bobcat and turn when you get off the cloth

ipm
07-18-2002, 10:54 PM
What type of rock is it?? River slicks or Rip Rap(granite). What is the terrrain like, if it is the least bit soft your machine is going to create a bigger mess than you will know what to do with. Is this structrural or cosmetic?

DaddyRabbit
07-22-2002, 09:12 AM
Don't rent a skid steer, rent a tractor w/a FEL and make sure it has a 4in1 bucket on it as it makes handling Riprap twice as easy. You will always need to handle some by hand so don't leave your help on another job site. BTW, don't forget your 6'' sod staples to hold down the tech fabric. Good luck

Scag48
07-22-2002, 11:47 PM
To answer the soft problem, it is fairly soft, but fairly rocky, but not sandy at all. I did think about this but I don't think that it will be a big deal, it's not that soft. I might wet it down a little to keep the dust down anyway to firm it up a little. I can't rent a tractor for 2 reasons. The area is to small the make the 180 turn or I will run the thing right off the bank and none of the tractors there have 4 in 1 buckets. The terrain is flat and the rock is for cosmetic purposes. I have to deal with tight spaces and that is why I'm renting a Bobcat. I think that I'll roll some fabric until it almost reaches the corner where I have to turn, then just don't turn on the fabric. I suppose I'll have to do a little levelling with the bucket after I turn on the a few times. LOL. Thanks guys.