PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen

BRIMOW525
07-17-2002, 07:52 AM
I had a guy tell me the other day that nitrogen (when its hot and dry out like it is) is bad for the lawn. He said that with out moisture it breaks down into sodium nitrate, thus instead of fertilizer you have salt. Which in turn kills the grass instead of fertilizing it. Of course Chem Lawn said NO WAY! But I wasn;t too sure. Just wondering if he was correct?

awm
07-17-2002, 12:49 PM
i wouldnt put even low content slow release on anything now.real good irrigation system ,mabe.
if chemlawn can do that, then they know something ,i dont. probably know a lot ,i dont.:)

smburgess
07-17-2002, 02:20 PM
"Breaking down" - no. Nitrogen bad for the lawn when it hot and dry or hot and wet - yes, it will stress the turf and depending on the application amount may burn or even destroy the turf.

If you're looking to "green up" the lawn use fe @ about 10% with a small amount of nitrogen (5%) and water in. It'll green it up in a few days and look good for three weeks or so.

heygrassman
07-17-2002, 05:40 PM
what do you guys recommend for a good Summer application??

greenman
07-17-2002, 09:41 PM
13-13-13, or Lesco 12-12-12.

BRIMOW525
07-18-2002, 07:21 AM
I would never apply anything at this time unless the customer has irrigation. I just thought that it was weird to think nitrogen breks down into sodium nitrate without water

thfireman
07-18-2002, 09:37 AM
Lesco said to use 05-10-31 to promote greening without Nitro burn. I only used it on irrigated lawns and it is real green now. I put it on my lawn that is not irrigated as an experment and it sat there during the no rain weeks. When we got a good days rain my lawn was extra green with just a slight growth in 2 days. Great stuff in my opinion as if my opinion matters.

:rolleyes:

get rich
07-18-2002, 09:19 PM
i always thought that the poly coated lesco stuff bought you quite a few weeks without rain before dew and humidity would even start to break it done, correct or am i optimistic about it?not that i'm laying down any thing right now,in the mid west its hotter than :blob2: and drier than my wishing well.so i started chasin japanese beetles.its great filler work and great source of revenue.:angel:

tremor
07-19-2002, 12:50 PM
Hello All,

Sodium Nitrate is never applied to lawns & no amount of environmental stresses will convert commonly available lawn fertilizers to Sodium Nitrate either.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question233.htm

The only danger in applying fertilizers that contain large quantities of Nitrogen (at any time of year) is the possible scenario where the release rate doesn't match the needs of the plants under a given environmental condition that may exist.

Example: Turf is 100% DORMANT.

The N will have no positive effect on dormant turf. When the soruce that is applied is largely soluble, then waste via volatilization (gas off) or leaching may occur.

Also, & more importantly to the turf, is the possibility that the soluble faction of the Nitrogen DOES, through rain or irrigation, go into the soil solution. We can then increase the salts (ALL FERTLIZERS HAVE A SALT INDEX OR THEY AREN'T FERTILIZERS AT ALL) in the root-zone to the point where reverse osmosis pulls the balance of the water from the roots and back into the soil. That is fertilizer burn at it's simplest definition. Thre is allready more than enough information on the web about how this happens in much greater detail than I have time to indulge.

Commercial Lawn Care Operators have no choice but to continue to service their routes if they intend to stay in business. Consumers also expect timely service,. That won't happen if the applicator takes the next 4-6 weeks off just because it hasn't rained. That isn't a problem for the turf or the consumer as long as the applicator has selected any of the 100% slow release products that is readilly available for his/her selection. Treat 100% dormant & drought stress turf right now with 39-0-0 100%Poly-Plus-SCU, 37-0-0 SCU, 38-0-0 100% UF, etc, etc, and the product will sit on the dormant turf until rains do return. Just like they were engineered to do.

Watch for the potash selection if a complete fertilizer is desired. The common KCL or Muriate of Potash (0-0-52) has a higher salt index than straight urea (46-0-0) iand is the most common source of potash. It can be coated just like the nitrogen to give you an improved margin of safety. Just make sure that's what you're getting or leave it out of the mix all together.
Sulphate of Potash is the desired source either alone or with KCL for summer use when applying significant quantities.

If you have a route to continue servicing through a drought, just select the slowest releasing material available for the task at hand. The less water the property recives the less soluble N you should use. To play it safe & keep it simple, I'd use straight 100% Slow N under the conditions & sit back & watch the revenue & the referals come in. When the rains return, the lawns you did will recover faster & more completely than those that weren't done.

Steve

anthony
07-19-2002, 09:57 PM
steve welcome back from vacation....i picked up 2 ton of 5-10-31 10%fe.
and i hope the potash does not burn.....i donot know what the salt index is on that potash...
anthony

ExlawnPro
07-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Lesco products are good quality and I used to use them when I was a professional. If you must fertilize now use something with low nitrogen content. In the Northeast, I have found heavy application of Milorganite used around Memorial Day and again around Labor Day keeps a lawn looking green for most of the year and not have to deal with fast vertical early spring growth.