PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguishers

HarryD
07-17-2002, 11:42 AM
was wondering how many guys carry these in there trucks or trailers
the mower Bushhogboy just got if the guy had one it mite not have burned that bad im sure once the hydro tank and gas tank caught fire it burned real good

im planning on getting one soon for my truck just in case:rolleyes:

TLS
07-17-2002, 11:52 AM
I've had a 10lb ABC in my trucks since 1986. I would like to mount one on the Lazer (a small slim jim) but wonder where I could mount it that it wouldn't get bumped, cooked by the sun, or whatever. Plus with the small size, I wonder what it would do in the first place. I was thinking of putting a nice 20lb mounted on the trailer. If its going to burn, by the time I run back to the truck, it'll be WAY too late. I may get back there in time to prevent a large part of the yard from torching, but to save the mower....I doubt it.

Still a good Idea to at least have one in each truck. I have mine mounted the the front brackets of my drivers side seat. Out of the way, yet easy to grab in a hurry.

sbvfd592
07-17-2002, 01:10 PM
its a good thing to have i had a craftsman lawn tractor go up in flames once the first thing that i did was graped a gardenhouse b/c it had reached the gass tank i dont recamend doing that thow if you dont brake the stream of water u can have the gass spill and run off into brush and have a huge fire on your hands i put myne out and then whent to the persons door had them call the fire department but thta should be the first thing you do i sust saw the hose and i knew what to do so i did it. but i will always have one around now

Bob Minney
07-17-2002, 01:38 PM
I have one mounted in truck cab. never used on equipment but on truck had a ps pump seize and catch fire. got it put out quick enough so no additional damage.

did have hedge trimmers catch fire one time cause I refueled it when hot.:blush:
small flame put out with my glove.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-17-2002, 04:44 PM
I keep them in the truck , in the trailer and on larger pieces of equipment.. I think it s a requirement of the DOT to have one in each truck and trailer ? Even if its' not its just good common sense..

mdb landscaping
07-17-2002, 04:53 PM
I think its a must. Just the other day i was helping a buddy out using a 60 inch scag walkbehind, and it caught on fire while i was using it. thank god he had a fire extinguisher in the truck, cause otherwise it wouldve burned to the ground. a couple days in the shop and the mower is up and running again(after $500 in reparis lol)

AL Inc
07-17-2002, 06:57 PM
Always have them mounted in all my trucks and enclosed trailer. Here it's actually DOT law if you are carrying haz-mat. We've only needed one about 6 months ago when we saw a bad accident, a woman in a Toyota rear-ended a Blazer. She really hit it hard. She was dazed, and two guys were trying to get her door open, but it wasn't moving. A small fire had started under the hood, so my friend grabbed the extinguisher and put it out as the other guys got her out. It was good that we were there-everybody that came to help had a cell phone but no extinguisher. Always a good thing to have, even if It's not required by law. Mike

kroll
07-17-2002, 07:33 PM
I keep one in the truck & there is one mounted on the back of seat of my scags.
Had a prob of bouncing off till I put a zip tie
aruond it. I figure If I need it that zip tie won't stop me.

FrankenScagMachines
07-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Good post, I was going to do a similar one myself, you beat me to it. This is a long post but you should read most of it anyway:

Weird thing, but just yesterday evening I was puttin around the yard (2 acres) on a old Dynamark lawn tractor of mine and was down by the garden (down hill from the house on other end of the property) and this thing doesn't have a manifold or exhaust anything on it. Well it backfired like crazy that way because the hot raw gas and air were mixing right there and exploding. sounds good that way, but i was down by the garden sitting on it i just idled it down and it died, well i saw smoke up front and looked and the carburetor was on fire! I told my mom and little brother, who were in the garden, to get away, and i ran uphill to the house, got a fire extenguisher and ran all the way back. That took me maybe about 45 seconds to get the extenguisher. Saved it, just a small flame, it turns out that the only thing it did was burn off all the grease and gunk on the outside of the carburetor, it didn't melt the gas line or even the foam air filter. I thought it would blow before I got back but it was fine. I started it up and drove it up to the garage where I put on a muffler to prevent this problem. Got me thinking that it doesnt' take much to catch things on fire, cause i'd been driving this around through tall weeds and a woody area for a good 15 minutes before this happened. Could have caught my neigbor's pasture on fire. I beleive that my Scag caught on fire, not was in a garage or whatever and burned, cause the burned area is in the middle, near the engine. So once I get the Scag done, I will find a way to mount a fire extenguisher, and also on other mowers. Save some money and maybe lives (if something else is on fire nearby). Also always keep built up grass and leaves etc from any and all areas that get hot (muffler, spindles, pulleys, any other friction or heat points and also cooling fins etc. on engines). And shutting your engine down and letting it cool is a good idea too but I rarely give them time to cool, quite often dont' even shut them off :eek: from now on i will since i have two examples of my own to show how fire and lawnmowers don't mix.
Safety first!
Eric

Firefighter Dave
07-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Wow... being new and not knowing a lot about this lawn stuff... I can now finally talk about something I know....

Fire Extinguisher!!

This shouldn't be a choice to have one or not to have one. With enclosed trailers you should have one for sure. The fact that the fire WILL spread to all your equipment in no time. The heat from any burning material will increase obviously in a enclosed trailer causing radiant heat to ignight other materials (gas cans, other motors, anything plastic) or melt equipment (seats of those nice Zippidy Z's, plastics on nice trimmers, ect.) On open trailers the heat build up won't be as bad, and having an extinguisher WILL help the spread of fire. I wouldn't have less than a 20 lb ABC extiguisher. ABC will cover all materials we will have on our trailers. You purchase insurance for the "just incases" why wouldn't you spend money, which is not a lot for an extinguisher. The even come with instrutions. And for the one that says it might be to late by the time you get back to your truck, try a smoke detector!!! <grin> Just kidding!!!

Dave

:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

Brickman
07-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Fire fighter Dave is RIGHT. It should not be a choice should I or not. Oh it is too much bother I guess not right now. I have not used one doing lawn work, but have seen too many times when other things were saved by that $15 extinguisher.

This is another topic for the Off forum section, but it was mentioned before. Smoke detectors, as a fire fighter I have seen plenty of houses that were saved from serious damage by having one. Also a little closer to home, I am here today because about 4 years ago I had a detector in my house. Think about it guys, saftey is too easy most of the time and the other options are way too costly. Just like ear protection, eye protection, sun block and so on the list goes.

turfguy
07-17-2002, 09:22 PM
I keep a 20lb ansul mounted to my tool box in the bed of the pickup. Fire extingushers are like parachutes you hope you never need it but if you do you want the best that money will buy! I would recomend that EVERY lco have atleast one on each truck and a good firstaid kit too.

cantoo
07-17-2002, 09:38 PM
We have several small fires when doing leaves in the Fall with our Walker. The leaves fall on the hot muffler always have to keep a close eye on it. Also had a spark come out of the muffler on the leaf blower one time. Reminded me it was time for a new muffler, the screen was done.

Darryl G
07-17-2002, 10:01 PM
Good thread! I keep an extinguisher in my truck and all my other vehicles (first aid kits too), but was wishing I had one on my WB Exmark today. I was mowing an overgrown yard and I noticed that it smelled like burning leaves. I kept looking around but couldn't find the source. All of a sudden my mower deck starts smoked like heck. It wasn't on fire, but plenty of smoldering dead grass. It appears the a bunch of grass got in by the pulleys and was ignited by friction. Unfortunatley, my truck and fire extinguisher were pretty far away, and I ended up blowing all the grass out of the deck with my BP blower.

Tony Harrell
07-18-2002, 05:51 AM
The question should be, how many should I have. They're relatively inexpensive and perform magic when called upon. Think of it as insurance.

The Mowerdude
07-18-2002, 08:52 AM
I'm with cantoo on this one. We've also experienced several fires during leaf season. The first time it happened I though it was a fluke.....NOT!! It's no fluke. If you're using a Peco or similar vac system, you WILL have a fire without keeping everything cleaned out. We've also had fires on our Billy Goat. Now we keep a fire extiguisher on each mower and one on either side of the trailer that has the Billy Goat.

About every hour of running we use the BP blowers to clear the debris off the mufflers.

This is serious!!

FrankenScagMachines
07-18-2002, 09:01 AM
Maybe you should have a mechanic reroute the exhaust to the opposite side of the machine, if there's less leaf action there. Definately keep extenguisher handy in fall, since it's dry. Anytime is good cause it doesn't have to be organic matter that catches fire!
Eric

Bluesteel
07-18-2002, 01:04 PM
ROGER THAT!!!

Its safe bet to blow off your mower after each use.

AND NO #*^@%#*% SMOKING AT THE GAS PUMPS!!!

Ever notice how obstinant many smokers are when smoking while they refuel? Absolute idiocy.

Runner
07-18-2002, 02:06 PM
One is carried on each truck and on the trailer, especially after THIS happened to me. Probably about the most scariest thing that ever happened to me on a job was when my walk behind caught on fire. I was cutting a small commercial (small restaurant - closed) on a busy corridor, when I noticed the smell of something burning. I stopped the mower, walked around to the front of it, and sure enough, here is some smoldering and even a small flame. Now, this has happened, at times, before and was no big deal. (For those who run the B&S 16 hp twin cylinder I/C engines, make sure you loosen the shrouds up and keep all the chaffe and grease deposit blown out of the fins and elsewhere.) Anyway, many of times, I could just blow the smoldering out, spit on it, or just add a little water. Well, this one grew even before I could do that. I knew it wasn't bad enough for the extinguisher, and I knew I had a water bottle in my truck I had been drinking. I quickly went to my truck to discover that my water bottle was EMPTY. (Oh, THA'ts right!) So, I figured this DOES call for the extinguisher. When I flipped my seat forward to grab it, you can imagine the look of fear and dismay on my face to see that it was not there. Someone had taken it out and not replaced it! At this point, I look back at the mower to see that this was NOT going to go out> Not knowing what else o do, I pushed the mower down onto the parking lot, and away from the truck and trailer. Knowing there was a supermarket across the street, I knew that was my only hope. I sprinted across the busy road, across the parking lot, and into the store. As I ran past all the checkout lanes, entering the store, I loudly asked someone where their water is kept. They pointed toward the BACK of the store. (par for the course) I got back there, and quickly scanned the area near the coolers to find NOTHING that resembled water. The only thing going through my mind then, was something WET! I rushed to the cooler and grabbed a gallon of milk. Yes, milk! I ran to the front of the store, and yelled to the cashier. "I'll be back!" I sprinted across the parking lot, over the road. By this time some cars were slowing down as I could see 2 ft. high flames and smoke. I opened the milk as I ran across the road and said a quick prayer for NOT having an explosion, and as I reached the mower I splurged the milk all over the burning area and engine, and the flames were quickly extinguished. I quickly reache underneath and shut off the fuel valve on the tank. Just then, while walking to the front of the mower to look at the mess, the fuel line on the carb broke open pouring fuel down that remained in the line down. It really made me think, possibly 1 second later, and the whole thing could've blown. So, there I stood, in the middle of this lot, alone, with my milk covered, burned up mower. THEN, I reached a whole different dilemna. How am I gonna get this thing up the gate by myself? I ended up hoohing a chain underneath, and pulling it straight up with another mower. After inspection when I got it home, all I needed to replace was a little electrical, the coil, and the fuel line. This is one of the reasons why I am such an advocate on fire extinguishers today. You just never need one until you need one. Oh yeah, I DID go back into the store afterward and pay for my milk. They knew who I was, so I don't think they were TOO concerned about the payment.

mdb landscaping
07-18-2002, 07:11 PM
This was a good thread. It inspired me so much, i went out and got a fire extinguisher for my truck. It was only $10 too. For ten bucks, everybody should have one. Thanks for re-itterating why we all need them. My next step is getting safety glasses. I keep procrastinating on getting them, but i know sooner or later ill regret it.

HarryD
07-19-2002, 12:03 AM
yes im going out to get one too after seeing the photos of bushhogboys new burnt up mower

ive never had any of my mowers catch fire but better safe then sorry :)

Albemarle Lawn
07-19-2002, 12:50 AM
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

Ken

Runner
07-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
Thanks for re-itterating why we all need them. My next step is getting safety glasses. I keep procrastinating on getting them, but i know sooner or later ill regret it.
If you still have decent vision after today's work, and are able to read this, 1. Be THANKFUL. 2. Go out and get yourself some CHEAP SUNGLASSES!