07-18-2002, 08:18 PM
the walker mower in a 36" will cut down on the amount you have to trim

Nelson
07-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by A+Elawnservice
what is the best mower for small area in a 36inch TORO

Nelson
07-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Well....... hold on do not know if they sell a 36" My BAD....

SLS
07-18-2002, 08:33 PM
Exmark Turf Tracer HP gets my vote! :cool:

odin
07-18-2002, 08:39 PM
scagg ultimate walkbehind's have been great for us

Lawn-Scapes
07-18-2002, 08:54 PM
It's unanimous :confused:

Doc Pete
07-18-2002, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry, I must be missing something. If you simply compare feature for feature of a Hustler 37 hydro WB to any other WB currently made, it outperforms them in every area. Glad to offer any comparison. However, you probably want what's just "popular", so add up the votes and get the one with the most.
Pete

FrankenScagMachines
07-18-2002, 10:43 PM
Dealer service after the sale SHOULD determine much of your choice, but it has to be a quality machine too. Exmark and Toro are basically the same machine, and Scag is good too. Gravely, is said to be great, Hustler too. John Deere, don't hear alot about those, but some people dont' like the cut of them, I priced them and compared to the Exmark and Toro, they were high on price, but same quality construction.
Personal preference has a bit in there too...
Eric

Doc Pete
07-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by BushHogBoy
Dealer service after the sale SHOULD determine much of your choice,
Eric

Eric,
I can't really agree with that at all. IMO, if you have to rely on your dealer for "service" you're already in the wrong business. Even if the machine comes from the dealer setup incorrectly, you should be able change it and correct it.
With so many mail-order houses, if your dealer isn't on the ball with parts you can find them very quick on the Net. Furthermore, if I have a problem, I usually go right the manufacturer and they either help me or give the name of a distributor for help.
What I'm trying to say is, IMO, a good landscaper should be able to maintain and fix his own equipment unless something really horrendous happens. However, I doubt that is the case. In any event service per say, is the least thing that would help me decide on a mower. Finally, that's why I have two WB's, just in case one has a problem. I also have two weed whackers, two pole trimmers and two snow blowers, too. I'd go broke paying my dealer $50/hour to fix my machine, anyway.:D
Pete

1MajorTom
07-18-2002, 11:11 PM
Quote: Eric,
I can't really agree with that at all. IMO, if you have to rely on your dealer for "service" you're already in the wrong business. Even if the machine comes from the dealer setup incorrectly, you should be able change it and correct it.
What I'm trying to say is, IMO, a good landscaper should be able to maintain and fix his own equipment unless something really horrendous happens.

Wow, I can't believe it. I've been around here a long time, and I rarely hear this opinion.

And this is opinion is exactly how my husband feels.
I read so much on here about service this, and service that.
I once commented before, "Doesn't anyone work on their own equipment?"
You summed up our feelings exactly Pete. :)

KLMlawn
07-18-2002, 11:25 PM
Try Looking at Wright Standers ... they can trim just as close as a Walker, less maintenance, reliable, easy to operate after a day or so to get the feel.

Mid Rivers
07-18-2002, 11:30 PM
Eric/Bushhog,
Dealer service after the sale SHOULD determine much of your choice, but it has to be a quality machine too. Exmark and Toro are basically the same machine, and Scag is good too. Gravely, is said to be great, Hustler too. John Deere, don't hear alot about those, but some people dont' like the cut of them, I priced them and compared to the Exmark and Toro, they were high on price, but same quality construction.

You give this insight (if someone wants to call it that) yet what is it that you mow with?

There is a phrase that goes something like this:
"It is better to stay quiet and be presumed ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Exmark and Toro are basically the same? Then I assume Dodge and Mercedes are the same also (Mercedes owns Dodge now)!

Anyone (most anyone) can read a book or listen to what a person tells them but if you do not know it first hand...............I won't finish what I would like to say.

Speak of what you know or give your opinion but don't talk like you know the difference between the mowers when you have no idea. Go back to your exmark dealer and then go to your toro dealer. Tell me they are the same!
:dizzy:

TLS
07-18-2002, 11:53 PM
Mid Rivers....:D :p :rolleyes: No offense to Bush, but well put.

"What I'm trying to say is, IMO, a good landscaper should be able to maintain and fix his own equipment unless something really horrendous happens."

I agree 100% Pete!

A+E,

As you can see, that is a real vauge question you asked. You'll get as many "opinions" as there are mowers.

My answer = whatever YOU want!

Fantasy Lawns
07-18-2002, 11:53 PM
Walker .... hands down

MrUPS
07-19-2002, 12:01 AM
I Love my Bobcat 48" w/17 Kaws. Wb Works great.
Thats just my 2 cents
Rob

mowerconsultant
07-19-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by A+Elawnservice
what is the best mower for small area in a 36inch

How bout this........
Hustler GateMaster (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32048)

HarryD
07-19-2002, 12:22 AM
WOW all i have to say is WOW :) im gunna have to check into the hustler that thing is pretty cool

rkbrown
07-19-2002, 08:26 AM
Sweet looking machine, mowerconsultant !!!

Doc Pete
07-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by HarryD
WOW all i have to say is WOW :) im gunna have to check into the hustler that thing is pretty cool

Now's a good to take a second look at the control system. The Hustler has "no" safety switches to hold and hurt your hands. There are no levers of any kind to hold or squeeze. Speed is infinity and instantly adjustable and will hold a giving setting without further operator input. All inputs are symmetrical, so you can "fully" operate the machine (forward and backward) with only "one" hand. Zero turns are perfect every time and easily done with one hand.
I could go on, but I guess that "would" be bashing other machines. :D However, these are just the facts.

And to answer other questions. The exmark ECS system is nothing more than pistol grips positioned at a different angle, they don't twist. The Wright machines don't use pistol grips, but are not symmetrical and linked together. This forces the operator to manually adjust each lever for straight forward tracking, and estimate the correct inputs for a good zero turn. Also, the Wright cannot be driven with one hand. The Toro T bar is a take off on the Wright machine (or vice versa) and still needs much "guestimation" for zero turning, stopping, and straight tracking. It also, cannot be fully operated with just one hand. Finally, the Hustler gives the operator a solid "object" to "really grab" and hold on to, without affecting and control inputs.
Pete

Richard Martin
07-19-2002, 01:34 PM
I must say that I am truely impressed by the looks of this machine. If you've been here a while you would know that ain't easy to do. Just as soon as I wear out my 36" Exmark Metro (I figure another 10 years should do it) I will be checking this bad boy out.

How fast do you have to spin those blades to get 'em up near 19,000 fpm?

Cut 2 Please
07-19-2002, 03:04 PM
The best machine is the one you feel the most comfortable on and can most efficiently complete your jobs. For some people it might be a Walker for others it might be an Exmark and so on. While some might have the best luck in the world with one machine, that same exact machine might be a nightmare for you. If you are not comfortable with the machine then the quality of your cut will suffer. Most of the commercial mowers out there are very good and might out shine another in certain areas and vice versa. Demo as many mowers as you can and pick the one that best suits you needs. The mower that best suits your needs is the best mower.

Doc Pete
07-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Cut 2 Please
The best machine is the one you feel the most comfortable on and can most efficiently complete your jobs. The mower that best suits your needs is the best mower.

Not to be a pain, but in my opinion, that's not true either. However, this is in keeping with the original message of a "Walkbehind 36 inch mower." What you say, may have been true 5/10 years ago, but not today. The Hustler WB has made other WB's obsolete.

However, if you choose to ignore a mower that is much easier to use (for anyone), cuts with the best of them, is competetively priced, built like tank, automatically zero turns and eliminates Carpal tunnel, you're not "Choosing the mower that best fits your needs", BUT rather you are just being an "uneducated buyer".
Pete

Cut 2 Please
07-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Notice in my post that I wrote: "Demo as many mowers as you can". This means the Hustler also. After demoing all the mowers I would not be suprised if everyone bought a Hustler wb, given that it is as easy and comfortable to use as it looks. Everything I read about the mower sounds great. However, it is possible that there is someone out there that would feel like another brand works better for him or her and in that case that other brand would be best for that person. A person that is completely happy and satisfied with the purchase they made will tend to be more productive than someone that is not quite so happy with the purchase they made.

Doc Pete
07-19-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Cut 2 Please
Notice in my post that I wrote: "Demo as many mowers as you can". This means the Hustler also.

And not that I don't agree either. And, yes there are those that have particular machines they like.... I can accept that..... My main point is, most guys including myself, tend to just go with the flow. Actually, I bumped into the Hustler line by accident.... Glad I did, though;)
Plus, I'll be the first to say Hustler really likes building a good machine, and almost more so than worrying about selling it.
Pete

FrankenScagMachines
07-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Guys,
Basically I was saying that you have to both like the machine and like the dealer because I for one wouldn't buy something from a dealer that didn't treat me like their best customer. I bought a new trimmer recently, my first NEW peice of equipment, and I got the Stihl instead of Echo although they were very comparable (both quality and price) simply because of the dealers. That's just personal preference, you can do it how you want but I would like to have a dealer that treats me with A1 priority. On lawnsite.com I dont' try to sound like a know it all, I just post what I already know or have it on good authority to be true and accurate. It's just my opinion and that's all it is. Take it or leave it.

I'm not balling any one person out, this just applies to anyone who has a problem with persons under their age speaking out. Sometimes you old farts get as cocky as the young guns, you take offense if someone says something that's true and not a outright lie, like we can't do something right or something. I get tired of that one fast, so please don't try it with me!

Eric

PS- I interact here to learn, and help others where I can. If anyone has a problem with that maybe you should leave because that's what this board is for, learning and helping.

FrankenScagMachines
07-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Oh yea also, I'm not endorsing any particular brand nor advertising for them..... :rolleyes: :p
But I have heard it said here and other places that Exmark and Toro are BASICALLY the same machine, I've heard also that they are manufactured (or owned at least) by the same company. Some differences are there yes but this is just what I've heard. I didn't swear it on a bible so dont' take me too serious now ;)