PDA

View Full Version : Landscape bed install

Bunton Guy
06-07-2010, 08:25 PM
It's been a long time since i've referenced my prices here on the web so I thought I would ask you guys/gals opinion on what you would charge for the services I gave a quote for today.

The customer wants a landscape bed made in her backyard. She has a plain jane square shapped backyard lined with split rail fence. The back 1/3 of the yard is going to be turned into a landscape bed in which she is going to do the planting.

The dimensions are 130' long and 6' deep with a natural curve to the bed.

The job would include killing off the 780 sq. ft with roundup. Using a bed edger to edge the 130 linear ft. Tilling up the clay soil & bringing in roughly 10 yards of compost/garden soil mix through a 36" gate. Its approx. 100-125ft. from the driveway to the backyard where I will be taking wheelbarrow loads through the smaller gate.

My prices were as follows.
10 yards of garden mix soil $335
130 ft. of bed edging $118.50
Round-up $42
Delivery fee for soil ammen. $55.00
Tilling $150.00
Labor $363

Will be using one other employee. I feel that my price might be high.:confused:

All this is figured on making 2-3 trips to this customers house the first being to spray the round-up then 2nd & third to bring soil in and equipment. I should be in and out in 7-8 hours with one helper.

jlbf0786
06-07-2010, 09:25 PM
What kind of edging are you using?

the price for the total job is $1080 i believe.. so in my opinion it'll be a nice profit. (given that everything is priced as youve listed)

i wouldnt see the need for roundup if you're tilling it.

If it were me, i'd till, rake up all the debris and haul it out, amend the area with the 10yds of soil. then it'll be good to go.

But if you spray then till right after, its wasting your time and money.

Where are you planning on getting most of your material?

Bunton Guy
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Was getting material @ bluemax.

I was afraid from past experience if I just till under the top layer that the freshly tilled grass & roots will just re-root themselves in the loose soil making a heck of a mess to weed out once they have done their plantings.

I was using a bed edger to define the edge of the new landscape area. Not actually laying any kind of edging down.

bocefus78
06-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I believe you are real close. I would not do it any cheaper. Allow the Gly to work for 3 weeks and your tilling will be much easier. Scalping the area w/ a trimmer or push mower before hand helps speed it up a little bit.

Remember to offer your mulch services after she plants it!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Cut the sod off with a power sod cutter. Don't just hose it down with R.U.
If someone else needs the sod, its a way not to waste it.