PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer for Bermuda

1999frontier
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
My dad seeded some common bermuda and I'm wondering what kind of fertilizer should he put down now? We put some starter fert. on it about 6 weeks ago. I think he put some more seed out about 2-3 weeks ago. I have some scotts weed control but I don't think I can put that out since some of the seeds haven't been down for atleast 6 weeks. Could I put some 34-0-0 down or what do you bermuda guys suggest?

wrager
06-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Hold off on the fert until after your first cutting and don't use any of that weed control. Make sure the seed bed stays moist. germination can take 2 weeks.

1999frontier
06-08-2010, 10:56 AM
We've already mowed the first seed that he put out the first of April. He just put out some more seed about 2-3 weeks ago. So, after we mow this time since the seeds have been down long enough for it to germinate what should I put down?
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
06-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Do not use any fertilizer like 34-0-0. This is a quick release nitrogen that will force top growth at the expense of root penetration. Use only slow release fertilizers this season. Mow that grass about 6-7 times before applying any type of herbicides. This season you will want to worry about getting the seed to germinate, keep the area moist, and mow at an inch to promote crawlers. Allow this grass to grow and get a good root system before putting anything on it for weeds.