PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening blades

Circle 4 Ranch
06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm not commercial, so don't have the hours each day most on this forum do.

Does anyone sharpen blades based upon hours used?

nepatsfan
06-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I dont do it based on hours but I would say if you did it like every couple months it would probably be more than enough if you are just mowing your own yard.

Puddle of Oil
06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
i sharpen mine about every week! if it cuts bad then maybe twice a week!

SchnabelLawnCare
06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Every 10 hours or so would be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Magna-Matic
06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Hello All,

We strongly recommend a range of 8-12 mowing hours, by this time the pointed TIP of the blade, which is the primary cutting tooth becomes rounded or a radius. When this TIP or tooth of the blade is rounded you tear the grass rather than cut it, which leads to yellowed lawns and disease.

Read more about blade tip geometry here:
http://www.magna-matic.com/page/blade-education

Thank you,

Maxify55
06-08-2010, 12:12 PM
It depends upon the vegetation being cut and the speed at which you wish to cut that road weed.

In short, are you working on your tan?

or

Do you want to get it done and on to the next thing on the list you should've had done last week?

I don't play here in North Florida. I cut 7+ acres of the toughest bahia you can imagine.
I also do it at the fastest speed my Ferris will drag my behind.
Hit each blade once and get on to the next one.

It's just this simple. If my butts in the saddle I've got fresh blades under me.

Do you saddle up your horse to come in second place?

Most people up north don't know how tough it is to cut these heat tolerant grasses.
It's like trying to cut leather at 10 mph.

That's just me, though. I admit that I'm anal about a lot of things anymore.

mnglocker
06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I go about 10hrs tops on a set of blades.

Charles
06-08-2010, 03:17 PM
The simplest way to find out if your blades need sharpening is to get down there and look at them. If they are slightly rounded then it is time to sharpen them. If just one of them is dull looking then time to sharpen all of them. You can't tell just by the hours. New blades can take a lot longer to dull. You may hit rocks and/or sand. Different types of grass take a toll on blades etc

fastbs
06-08-2010, 03:56 PM
i had never really thought about it much but i usually go about 8-15 hrs depending on what i'm cutting.

Please_Be_Green
06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm probably overkill, but I sharpen every 3rd week or every 5th or 6th cut. KBG in New Jersey

BOP Quick 36

Circle 4 Ranch
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
17 hours on the ztr...ZD326...and I just sharpen. They were IMO pretty good shape. I was starting to notice a few stragglers in tall stuff, kind of expecting they would be worse than that, since I had mowed some pasture with it as well.

So...appears I'm going to settle at 15-20 hours on sharpening. Thanks everyone for the tips.

BTW, I always used an angle grinder to sharpen, same this time, but use a flap wheel,instead of a abrasive wheel....work very well.

avguy
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm mowing right at 1.5 acres & sharpen my blades about every 4th or 5th cut.

Lol...on a related note my father in law who has never sharpened a blade in his entire life sent me a pic of one of the blades he took off his 12 yr old husky mower. Said it just didn't seem to be cutting right anymore......

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/avguywife/Photo0229.jpg

clydebusa
06-09-2010, 06:27 PM
I might be crazy but the ztr's about 50 hours and the 21" around 60 hours. That is a normal 2 week period. If I would do every 15 hours that would be every 3 days. I believe if you don't hit anything they will last!

Circle 4 Ranch
06-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Clydebusa .... after thinking about it, I think your are right. For me, I'll go 20 hours next time, unless these stragglers start showing, maybe more. That's the only reason I even looked at them was I was seeing a few. They probably could have been put off an easy 5-10 hours. The cut with this ztr is soooo good, I just want to be sure it stays that way.

dwost
06-10-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm usually swapping out/sharpening @ 8 hrs or so. Sharp blades are an integral part to a healthy lawn and clean cut.