PDA

View Full Version : Best top dressing for Bermuda?

riseabove23
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I want to level out some low spots in my Bermuda and I'm looking to put the best top dressing I can. Something that would help keep it healthy too, if that has anything to do with it. What would you use?

chaser2587
06-07-2010, 10:57 PM
River sand comes the most highly recommended. Especially for the clay soils around here in ga. Have you ever seen bermuda try to come up through regular red dirt? It takes a long time... weeks. I topdressed my lawn with river sand on saturday and its already starting greening up alot.

riseabove23
06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Sounds good to me. Just wasn't sure if a poop of some sort would've been better. Figured I would check before I buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
06-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Sounds good to me. Just wasn't sure if a poop of some sort would've been better. Figured I would check before I buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah i did alot of research myself before leveling my lawn. Poop will eventually break down, it's not a long term solution to filling in a low spot in your lawn. However it will would give you a nice green up though!!! River sand is the way to go because you can fill in the holes in your lawn and the bermuda will thrive in it. Some folks suggest mixing in a topsoil with the sand but imo I don't believe this is necessary, and it would be alot more trouble than what it's worth.

wrager
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.southernlandscapesupply.com/products.asp?pg=soils

These guys sell a "sod dressing" for bermuda. I guess it depends on how much OM you have already. Mine is less than 4% so I need something added to the sand. It aint cheap though.

chaser2587
06-08-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.southernlandscapesupply.com/products.asp?pg=soils

These guys sell a "sod dressing" for bermuda. I guess it depends on how much OM you have already. Mine is less than 4% so I need something added to the sand. It aint cheap though.

I checked the link out and that's cheaper than what i paid per yard. Have you used "sod dressing" for your yard?