PDA

View Full Version : Full Throttle?

Scraper
07-17-2002, 02:14 PM
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I wanted to see if there were any new views. I was speaking with my dealer (the owner of the shop) the other day and mentioned that I engage my blades at half throttle due to not wanting to wear the electric clutch. He told me that you are supposed to engage at full throttle. He said it's the opposite of what you'd expect, but said that's what you're supposed to do. I trust this guy as he is no spring chicken and has been in the business his entire life as it was his fathers shop prior. I thought we had agreed half throttle was better in past threads which I'm just too darn lazy to find. :confused: I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

smburgess
07-17-2002, 02:22 PM
He just wants to sell you clutches.

Always engage your blades at the lowest RPM to can.

KLMlawn
07-17-2002, 02:23 PM
I have 2 Wright Standers, both with elec. clutches, purchased from two different dealers ... both have told me to engage the blades at half throttle, NOT full.
Even though you may or may not wear out the clutch, you will still stretch the belts.

Bunton Guy
07-17-2002, 03:49 PM
Believe what you want. Don't listen to others and make your own decision. My best friend owns a small engine repair shop and I had asked him this question he would never lie to me to make money off of me and he said in his own opinion that its best to start blades at full throttle if it was such a big deal if would be in your MANUAL !!!!!! Just like they tell you checking your oil is a important thing well if it was all that inportant to engage blades at half throttle it would be in bold.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
07-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Well my JD f620 mower manuel says to "MOVE THROTTLE LEVER TO THE 1/2 TO 3/4 FAST POSITION.
PULL PTO KNOB UP
MOVE THROTTLE FORWARD TO THE FAST POSITION FOR MOWING.

:blob3:

dr grass
07-17-2002, 04:46 PM
wow! i never thought about that. i seem to go through clutches more often than i should. i always ingage the pto at full throttle. between that, and all the posts saying to ingage at half throttle, i guess you got me convinced. im a half throttle ingager now ... lol. thanks for the info.

Shep :blob4:

Cut This!
07-17-2002, 05:00 PM
Engaging the blades at full engine RPM is better for the engine but will wear the clutch faster.

Engaging them at minimum RPM is better for the clutch but more harmful to the engine.

Most manufactures cycle test their machines at full throttle but also don't usually test with doulble blades.

So the choice is yours......

maybe 3/4 is the best?

bob
07-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Also , disengage after you thottle down. This also helps the clutch.

scagman
07-17-2002, 10:19 PM
I have a 2002 Scag swz 48" Hydro, manual states " When PTO is engaged or (possibly) disengaged, a squeling sound from the underside of the machine is normal. It is caused by the electric clutch plates meshing as the mower comes up to speed. For best equipment life, engage the clutch with the engine at 3/4 throttle, not under full load.

Albemarle Lawn
07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Barry (eng mower guy) is a Gravely engineer that posts here and that is his recommendation.

I SCREAM at my employees and send them home if I hear a clutch engaged at full speed.

Think about how hard you are being on the blets and clutch when you dump at 3600 RPM.

Would you sidestep your truck's clutch at 3600 RPM? Maybe if you are 16 and your dad bought it for you.

I have thousands of hours on machines with the Warner Electric clutch and have never had to replace one, or an engine.

Ken

The Mowerdude
07-18-2002, 01:03 AM
I bump my PTO switch on then off again quickly and while the blades are still spinning, I pull the switch again. All this while the engine is at full throttle. With a little practice, you can get a smooth easy engagement that doesn't stress the clutch or the engine or the belts. Just the PTO switch and replacing it is cheaper and easier than any of the others. However, even my PTO switches go all season.

65hoss
07-18-2002, 07:17 AM
eXmark says to engage at the lowest rpm's possible. I engage and disengage at idle.

The least amount of shock to the system is best.

keifer
07-18-2002, 07:24 AM
The last clutch i bought the service tech told me to set it at 0.15 and to engauge at half he said the clutch would last longer.At $250 a pop I want to save as many as possable.

awm
07-19-2002, 12:56 AM
ill just have to disaggree with your dealer. that just aint the rite way to do it.
i wouldnt even want to see somebody do that to their mower. ask the dealer why
thats the way to engage.

Scraper
07-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the insights. Looks like I'll continue to engage at 1/2 as I have been. Don't think he's trying to make any money off me on clutches as I only buy my handheld equipment from him, not mowers. Although I may be buying a mower in the future as he is the local Dixie dealer.