PDA

View Full Version : Blue/white smoke

Joel B.
07-17-2002, 02:27 PM
My John Deere LX-176 has been intermittently blowing out blue/white smoke on start up and it seems to be happening more frequently. It lasts for about 1-3 minutes or so, heavy at first start up and then tapering off.

I had read the earlier post on white smoke, checked my oil and it was not over filled. Tractor had been sitting level also.

Am I looking at an engine rebuild? I've owned this tractor for about 7-8 years and have only used it on my own lawn. I can't believe the engine is worn out already. The engine is a Kawasaki 14HP ohv with oil filter.

Thanks for any advice,

Joel B.

firefighter
07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
I would say your looking for a rebuild

Oil is coming up through the rings ¿

HarryD
07-17-2002, 03:25 PM
well if its burning oil you would be adding alot of oil , how often do you change it or check it , how many hours on that motor

Joel B.
07-17-2002, 03:52 PM
I'm not noticing that it's burning a lot of oil. Up until now, I've only used it on my own yard, maybe 1 hour/week mowing and a little more during fall. I change oil every fall.

Talked to a couple of Deere dealers. They pretty much said to use it until it gets real bad and watch your oil. One guy said they are not worth rebuilding, just put in a new short block........to the tune of about $850.

Oh well, such is life,

Joel B.

Jimbo
07-17-2002, 11:29 PM
I have seen ring kits in the J-Thomas catalogue for about $30.00. If you have the head pulled off and with the piston down you dont see any heavy grooves in the cylinder wall you can go with a standard size ring set (no over bore). All you will need to do is hone the cylinder before putting the new rings on the original piston.

Hope this helps.
Jim

John Gamba
07-18-2002, 07:08 AM
Jimbo
Try The Lifter seal's See If They Are Dry. From Not Useing It They Will Dry Out And will Smoke.
Johnny G. :cool: :cool: