PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Soccer field

ouimguy
07-17-2002, 04:43 PM
I am planning to bid a soccer field complex. I have expirence workin in the public sector and looking to transfer my knowledge into a private enterprise.

Would you all bid the property on a per time charge, or go to an hourly rate? The property will need to be mowed 2 or 3 times a week.

What do you thinks the going rate per acre is? I will either mow with a pair of 72" ZTRs or a large 15' tractor towed batwing finish mower. I will only be able to sign a 1 year contract so I better get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure that I will be asking more in the future.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
07-17-2002, 04:47 PM
How many fields are you cutting and what if any other work needs to be done.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
07-17-2002, 04:49 PM
i can cut a soccer field (field only) with my 54" JD 620 in about 45min to an hour, with my f735 60" mower right around an hour

ouimguy
07-17-2002, 05:18 PM
I will mow, fertilize, and aerate. I will subcontract out the weed control. The complex is 7 regulation fields, but the charges should be fairly comparable if I find another complex.

lawnkid
07-17-2002, 05:29 PM
It takes me about an hour to cut my teams home soccer field with my 52" Scag Hydro. It is a full size field. I think it is 50 yards wide by 120 long. I would mow with the 72" ZTr"s. I've heard they will finish before a batwing will.

southside
07-18-2002, 08:44 AM
I agree. 72" ztrs would definately be the best way to go.
15 footer behind a tractor would be a pain on those jobs.You
would have to consider what sort of compaction rate a tractor
would put down.

The Mowerdude
07-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Also, I usually bid my aeration at 1 penny per square foot. However, that's for home owners and not athletic fields where you have wide open spaces and no obstacles. I would quess that a fair price would be half that.

If you're going with ZTRs you'll have a method of pulling an aerator. W/B aerators will kill you on jobs this large. Make a minimum of 2 passes in order to get good coverage. Go reasonably slow as the aerator has a tendency to float up and over if your rocking and rolling. Make sure your aerator has enough weight.

If the fields are irrigated, have them go through each zone for about 10 - 15 minutes. Let the field perk for an hour and then each zone for another 10 - 15 minutes. You should be pulling beautiful plugs without spinning your wheels or tearing up turf.

If those fields are NOT irrigated......well, heck....I hate it when that happens. Wait for rain.....or do it dry but explain that you won't be able to guarrantee any results. Better to wait for rain.

If they are irrigated, make sure you flag all of the sprinkler heads or you'll be busting and replacing. Best time to do that is while they're up and spraying. That way you run the least risk of missing one. Hey, it's fun to get wet.