PDA

View Full Version : Price check

RippinV
07-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Got a 1/2 acre in CT, probably 15K sq ft of yard with some beds. Received a qoute for a system with 26 rotar heads and 12 misters for the beds, using poly. Using Hunter heads, Airtrol controller, rain sensor, and 825 wide backflow preventer. Price was $4K. Good price or can I do better. Very nice guy, sure i'll get great service.

SprinklerGuy
07-18-2002, 02:23 AM
seems about right to me.

DanaMac
07-18-2002, 08:54 AM
That price is about normal. Some will do it cheaper. Some will do it for more. If you feel comfortable with that guy, go with him.

RippinV
07-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Thanks, I suspected it was reasonable... Considered doing it myself but not in the mood for a 3 week headache, just want it done and done right. Plus I dont think I can rent a puller so I would have to trench and wreck my yard.

DanaMac
07-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Just to let you know, the timer is probably an Irritrol, not Airtrol. And it is a 825Y, not 825 wide, backflow preventer. The 825Y is an RP (reduced pressure assembly) which is more expensive than a PVB (pressure vacuum breaker) but may be required in your area or necessary due to elevation change on the property. So the 825Y and the rain sensor will generally kick the price up slightly.

RippinV
07-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks very much for the info. Are the Irritrol controllers good? He is probably using he 825Y because of the elevation change in the backyard as you suggested. Another question relates to payment. If I were to offer someone cash (no receipt) under the table so to speak, just because I think we all pay enough in taxes, what kinda break would you give?? This guy will only knock off $100.00 (thats one hundred). I know for a fact, from being in the car cleaning business in the past, that uncle sammy takes a good 40% when its all said and done (unemployment, withholding, social security, etc)... any thoughts?

HBFOXJr
07-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Pay the man

RippinV
07-18-2002, 01:19 PM
When you go to buy a new truck do you just pay the sticker price or try to negotiate a bit? That's all I am saying. I want the guy to get paid, just thought he would move a bit more in a cash transaction, thats all.

later

HBFOXJr
07-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Yes I negotiate like a bear on trucks. But they come with huge margins, manufacturer incentives, advertising perks, etc.

This is a very competitive business. A sprinkler system is not equivalent to a truck. You have labor, materials, overhead and profit. Additionally you have some inherent risks you assume with contruction. Hidden conditions, utility problems etc.

I personally price all my jobs with out fat and the price is not subject to negotiation for price sake alone. If I have to give, you have to give me something back. I'm never insulted when folks ask. It's OK to ask. But this is contracting, not retailing and the game is played different.

All prices are my cash price. ;)

DanaMac
07-18-2002, 08:18 PM
If you pay him cash under the table, that should mean you get no receipt. If a warranty issue comes up he could theoretically tell you to get lost. I won't accept cash deals unless it is with friends that need help with repairs and I usually tell them to buy me a few beers.

greasemonkey
07-18-2002, 09:39 PM
keeping in mind that I have never seen your property and have no info on the soil conditions or water pressure and flow characteristics, $4,000 sounds a little bit high, however, if the contractor knows enough to be using an RPZ (the 825y), he probably knows what he's doing. As for cash jobs, I would be wary of any contractor that accepts cash jobs....Equipment and vehicle payments, workman's comp, liablity and vehicle insurance, and labor burdens (costs accociated with, but not including hourly wages) all must be documented. If he can take cash than chances are he's not playing straight with his books or he's paying his employees cash. Cash employees are not protected by workman's comp, most likely do not get paid overtime, and have some reason that motivates them to work a cash job. Cash jobs are bad for employees and the community in general.

-J

RippinV
07-19-2002, 11:27 AM
I really appreciate the feedback, thanks again. My static pressure at the house is ~90lbs out of the hose (1/2" pipe) and probably higher at the feed which is 1-1 1/4" copper on a 5/8 meter. The guy is a really nice guy and neighbors have used him. Had another quote last night and it was a bit more, $4250 + tax. He included a loam and grass charge for repair areas of ~100.00. He is using all Hunter stuff, nothing else. Everyone says Toro is junk, hunter heads are the best?

SprinklerGuy
07-19-2002, 02:06 PM
Customers that try to pay in cash crack me up.......I love it when they say, I'll pay in cash and then the job is over and they write a check made out to "cash".....not the same thing.

The problem with a discount for cash is that the job still costs the contractor the same amount of money to do so how does he pay the bills on the job without a record of the revenue? We don't do cash jobs, if they pay in case, we deposit the cash. The IRS will kill a small business like ours, not worth it.

DavidD
07-26-2002, 01:09 AM
Heres an interesting Thought Did you know The I.R.S pays for Info about Businesses Taking cash payments and not reporting them? Ive known 2 businesses that were Nailed that way and of Course the IRS figures that if you took cash that time you have done it weekly So they Hit you for fines Ect for what THey think you took in Cash!

Just a thought.:blob3:

trimmer
07-28-2002, 02:00 PM
I noticed that you said uncle sam take 40 percent off the top. I take it that you should get a discount of this much if you pay cash but this is not true. In business you only pay tax on your profit, so it the parts are 2000 dollars, and other cost are another 1000 dollars, the profit it is 1000 dollars therfore he only pays 400 dollars in tax, not 1600 dollars.