PDA

View Full Version : Dog Smell

T56 Impala
06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I have an area about 4 feet wide and 72 feet long that is covered in pine straw. It is a walkway by my Rose bed at the top of a retaining wall. This area is used by my two dogs (Berner and Beagle) to relieve themselves. If you know anything about having a giant breed, then you know the "smell" I want to get rid of!

I use pine straw in this area because it scoops up with the mess and is easy to re apply. However, during this hot time of year, the smell can get a bit overwhelming! (Yes, I pick up after my dogs at least once a day) Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can use to help keep this smell under control? Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive about it, but I can't stand it when I can smell dog poop even a little bit.

At least they aren't killing the grass! Right? :hammerhead:

Think Green
06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Go to Lowe's and buy a gallon of Odoban!
Read the label for dilution rates!!! Consult the label for pets too!

Think Green
06-08-2010, 08:36 PM
T56,
From your other post of your bermuda, you stated that your pH is 5.2?
This in my opinion is way too acidic. You can apply some lime on those areas to eliminate the odor but I would suggest a test first before applying some lime as it is beneficial to lowering that pH.
Gypsom is used to burn out salinity and loosen soils and not change the pH, so have you had a soil test performed prior to this???

T56 Impala
06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
NO soil test. Only my pH meter for my roses.

Since this dog area is also my rose area, and I am adding lime to them due to a low 5.6 pH, I will likely use it on the whole area. (This is in my back yard, the front yard is the Bermuda. The Bermuda is old growth, the back yard is new construction) FWIW, I'm not trying to keep the dogs out of this area. I prefer they use this area so they don't kill the grass. Its also much easier to clean up after them.

Now, if I could just find odorless Milorganite........

Think Green
06-09-2010, 08:03 PM
T56,
I don't know if you have this product in your area but it is called black cow compost. It comes in a 50lb. bag........all yellow bag with black graphics. This stuff is no odor and is the bomb for your beds. Your rose bed pH is ok but if the lawn was the high, then I would consider adding hydrated or dolomitic lime according to a soil test report recommendations.
If I read your comments earlier, you have pine trees in this area or in your lawn. These trees will create the high acid conditions and will be hard to counteract the pH without hurting the trees.

T56 Impala
06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
No pine trees thankfully! Yes, this area is know for them, but my yard backs up to a natural hardwood forest. Oak trees are my biggest problem. Especially in the fall! I do use pine needles as a ground cover though. Mostly because it is cheap and simple to put down. I can pick it up as the dogs soil it and easily replace it. The roses are not near the grass anyway. The roses are in the back at the top of a rock wall, the Bermuda is in the front.

I've heard of the Cow Compost. Haven't seen it around here. Right now I'll stick to my rose plan. I get good advice. (FIL was the Rosarian for the Alabama Rose society. ;) ) Right now I only have 13 plants but am planning for many many more. They take a lot of time, money and effort, but they sure are nice! Funny thing is, everything was fine with them, then I went on vacation. Came back after 10 days and they were in bad shape. I never tested the soil, so it could have been a growing issue all along. Black Spot is what really got me though. That and Spider Mites!

cgaengineer
06-12-2010, 09:15 AM
They sell black cow compost at Home Depot T56.