PDA

View Full Version : what areas rely on rain?

wolfpacklawn
07-17-2002, 08:19 PM
I read posts that say something like -" I sure hope it rains soon" or "it hasn't rained for two weeks." At first I thought- why would you want it to rain? Who want's to work in the rain? Then I came to think that in some parts of the country the lawn must primarily get watered by rainfall. Living in the high desert we hardly ever get rain here and almost everyone (95% of my customers) have automatic sprinkler systems to water their lawn and landscape.

I'm wondering if this % is high and if in some parts of the country automatic sprinklers are not that common.

greenman
07-17-2002, 09:05 PM
some states and citites have water restrictions where they can not irrigate or only on certain days. Here where I live almost everyone irrigates, there are no water restrictions. Although, it has been raining here for 2 days. I just keep on working, as long as it isn't pouring. Makes for a cool day.

Alan
07-17-2002, 09:08 PM
Here in NW Vermont it's very unusual to have sprinkler systems. I'm currently mowing 28 accounts, from small residential to mid sized industrial buildings. None of them, nor any of the ones I've had in the past are sprinklered. I'm thinking maybe 2% at the most have sprinklers here.

greenman
07-17-2002, 09:26 PM
why? r there restrictions up there in vt?

Lawn-Scapes
07-17-2002, 09:29 PM
I also have 28 accounts and none have irrigation. Not sure but I don't think there are any sprinkler systems in my county. Lawns are too large to move the hose around. Things are getting a little toasty here...

greenman
07-17-2002, 09:43 PM
been raining for 2 days here.

Cutter1
07-17-2002, 10:09 PM
I have about 200 accounts in Pa. Out of those 200, I would say 25 have sprinkler systems and the rest are DEAD or dying. Things are real dry up here, we NEED rain bad.

roscioli
07-17-2002, 11:26 PM
Here in central mass, in a supposively "well off" community, about 1-2% have irrigation. Only those that really take pleasure out of their yards, or really take pleasure out of having their neighbors jealous. We usually get enough rain to keep the lawns green up until about now, then they go dormant till late summer or so and green back up. Its not worth it to most people for those few extra weeks of green at the expense of not driving a nice new SUV. :)

Phishook
07-18-2002, 01:51 AM
I only have 4 out of 40 with irrigation. They're only $38 jobs, so that dosn't help out alot.

The rest of my accounts are dead or will be by Friday if it don't rain tonight.

I always expect a dry spell like this, but this year it started in mid June. Most years it comes arround the end of July-Begining of Aug.

awm
07-18-2002, 09:04 AM
the original post ,just brings home to me, how different ,our various situations are. i am considering irrigation ,installation next yr. ive always thought
theres money there. and im beginning to think our area is really an area that the
ordinary home owner needs it.
now to figure something they can or
will go for.

AielLandscaping
07-18-2002, 09:19 AM
here in modesto every house has a sprinkler system.. most homeowners don't seem to know how to operate them, so when they break down there's money in fixing them..seems like i get atleast 1 or 2 calls a week for sprinkler installation

Mid Rivers
07-19-2002, 12:04 AM
95% is very high (for my area)! I have 20% that is irrigated (auto sprinkler), with the drought we are going through I have not cut most of my lawns in 2 weeks.

David Haggerty
07-19-2002, 07:35 AM
I'm not above average rainfall at about 40" annually. But added to that, bluegrass is the indigenous ground cover. So we get some phenomenol spring growth.
If you try to suggest any improvements like fertilizing or watering to customers, they look at you like you're crazy!

I can understand your bewilderment after looking at my world almanac ('95 edition)

Here's some of the listed annual rainfall for the people replying to this thread. (or as close as was listed)

inches
6.58 Reno NV
43.77 Little Rock AR
32.68 Burlington VT
42.50 Baltimore MD
38.26 Pittsburg PA
43.21 Boston MA
50.76 Indianapolis IN
38.05 Raleigh NC
13.75 Fresno CA
51.46 Kansas City KS
37.85 Columbus OH