PDA

View Full Version : Towing 2 Trailers at Once

bob
07-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Today I saw a F-250 towing a dump trailer, with a chipper box built on, and right behind that was a chipper in tow. I've seen semi's with 2 trailers, but never anything else. This can't be legal.

mdb landscaping
07-17-2002, 09:27 PM
thats ridiculous. Ive never seen anything like that, and like you said, i doubt its legal. If it was youd see coupler jacks and stuff in magazines for towing two trailers at once. Ive never even seen parts in trailer catalogs for towing two at once. cant be legal.

Brickman
07-17-2002, 09:29 PM
You are right, not legal. UNLESS he has a doubles triples endorsment on a Class A CDL.

What pisses me off big time is the RVs are able to get away doing the same thing without a different license, pulling a RV trailer, and a boat or other trailer, and the huge motor homes that have semi sized engines in them and air brakes. If we have to have a CDL to make a living then so should they have to have a CDL for play!!!!

Trauma
07-17-2002, 09:31 PM
It's quite legal, at least here in TN it is. Done it before, although not my favorite thing to do, it does get a bit hairy, and you can forget backing up. But, as long as you have lights and chains, it's okay to do.

Doug

TFL
07-17-2002, 09:35 PM
If you have the endorsment it saves time. We do it all the time with chippers and if we were doing a full landscape and had a trailer with suppliesthat we left on the site and brought another the next day with sod it makes alot more sense to tow them both back to the shop at the same time.
All it takes is welding another hitch on the back of your trailers and splicing a wiring harness to it.

Brickman
07-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Trauma I would go check again with the DOT office. Because you are doing commercial work, that falls under a whole different set of rules than it does for home owners. CDL regs are pretty much federal.

FrankenScagMachines
07-17-2002, 10:09 PM
Yes it's legal for homeowners at least, never seen anyone else doing it. Here in Indiana, you can have two trailers in tow as long as the total rig (vehicle and trailers) do not exceed 50 feet in length. We have had our van, popup camper, and 16' boat hooked together before. Camper has a bumper on back and we bolted a bumper hitch to it and spliced a wiring harness back to the hitch, hook up boat and we're off. Worked quite well although we never backed up with it (plan on not backing up!). I don't know about businesses being legal doing it w/o special license or permission- what-not.
Eric

firefighter
07-17-2002, 10:33 PM
In Ohio you can pull to trailers as long as their not over 40' long

This was per State Patrol

Rhett
07-17-2002, 11:28 PM
Depends where you are at, length and weight. Just as if you were driving a semi truck each state has it's own laws

robert payer
07-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Personaly, would never even think of doing it. Try making a turn in a busy intersection. Serious compensation would be needed to avoid hitting the car in the turning lane. An enclosed dump trailer was mentioned above. What about Freeway sway, and we want to tow some additional. Much to risky for me. Ever kill or lame anyone? Sorry I am not a daredevil at others expense.

Leave it for your garden tractor and all the implements that can be towed together. Now that sounds like harmless fun, the only person that might be hurt is ones self.

Good conversation. Life without debates would limit our exposure to potentially good ideas.

HarryD
07-18-2002, 12:00 AM
i see them all the time here in my town guys pulling a dump trailer with a chipper on the back . great idea if ya dont have a dump type truck

Albemarle Lawn
07-18-2002, 12:08 AM
In Aussie they have road trains that cross the outback.

Trucks with trailer after trailer after trailer.

Simply awesome!

KB

yardman1
07-18-2002, 12:13 AM
It is legal here in Mississippi for anyone as far as I know, which it doesn't matter to me anyway because I have a CDL with double endorsments and haz. mat.

point
07-18-2002, 12:39 AM
I do it all the time no problem, It actually is easier to turn with, they all follow around in a big arc instead of cutting the corner like a long single trailer would. Make sure you have enough hitch weight on each trailer and they are fine even at 70 MPH.
I'm sure the length limit is at least 65' as most tractor-trailers are around there.

mark

2tall
07-18-2002, 01:20 AM
I to have seen people pulling two trailers at once. I see it all the time with RV's, they have a fifth wheel camper and a boat right behind that. One trailer is sometimes scary enough!!

TLS
07-18-2002, 01:27 AM
TWIN TRAILERS:

All states must allow the operation of twin trailer combinations where neither trailer exceeds 28 feet in length.

As long as no one axle exceeds 20,000 lbs, and total GVW doesn't exceed 80,000lbs you'll be fine.

Backing up IS possible....Just not that far!

PaulJ
07-18-2002, 01:35 AM
I was just thinking about this today.must be E.S.P.
Anybody out there from a farm background? If so , than you've seen this. I used to pull tow grain wagons(4 wheel wagons with steering front axels) from the field with a tractor. and yes we would have to back up short distances sometimes(a few feet ).
I've even seen pickups pulling THREE anhidrous tanks down the road. But this was all Ag so the rules for commercial might be different.
What got me thinking is my wife and I are thinking of getting somthing like a Wagoneer and I need a backup truck. So If I had to could I pull a Pickup box trailer (to haul the grass) and my 5x8 mowing trailer behind that? I think I could but only if my work truck broke down.

So It's not a hard as some might think. Maybe this will be the new trend? NOT

yardboyltd
07-18-2002, 02:21 AM
A local trailer shop has a huge demand for golf cart trailers from it's dealers out of town... Usually with other trailers they'll take the tires off the trailers and stack them all on a larger trailer and take them out to the dealers.. Well these trailers are small and hard to stack on each other, and I noticed that a small ball was attached to the end. Once delivered, he removes and takes back and uses it on the next shipment.

southside
07-18-2002, 09:29 AM
Over here we have road trains. On public roads they run 3 40'
trailers weighing in at around 140 tonne or 313000lb. Total lenght
about 50 metres or 165 feet. Only really run outside capital city
areas. Off public roads they get a lot bigger.

Albemarle Lawn
07-18-2002, 11:56 AM
and most things diesel.

lee b
07-18-2002, 07:25 PM
If you folks up north have to have CDLs to pull a normal sized trailer {even for commercial purposes}, it's a state law, not federal. Never heard of that, here you can pull any trailer unless the truck and trailer have a combined gross weight capacity of over 26001 lbs., which excludes most people in grounds maintenance,{ and even then if you own the truck and trailer and the product on the trailer, you're exempt}. I've pulled up to 4 peanut wagons at a time, many many times, until they finally restricted us to only 2. See folks pulling 2 trailers all the time.

Brickman
07-22-2002, 11:17 PM
I will say it again. CDL regs are for the most part federal. If you don't believe me go get a CDL hand book from your state DOT. I am willing to bet that some of what we think is OK since we have never heard about it, is not OK.

Lee, ag work and transport of ag products is regulated much less. Like for example here if you are hauling YOUR OWN ag product or working for the guy that owns it you are not required to have CDL if you are hauling the product within 150 miles one way, but must keep a log book and still observe the weight limits. But like I said, don't take my word for it, go look in the CDL book.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Air brakes have a part of a license all of their own.

If you have an RV with air brakes, which many don't due to having to get a CDL you must pass the air brakes test inorder to drive it. That is federal.

2 trailers behind a tow vehical laws very from state to state and city to city.

It is simple to incorparate on your trailer.

If I am not mistaken ALL CDL's start at 26,000GVW (some places may require one to drive a comm vehical under 26,000gvw)

robert payer
07-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Today I asked a local police man at the gas station here in Cleveland. He was of no help. He had never heard of pulling two trailers.

Speaking of bizarre sights, once saw a 45 foot tree being dragged down a main road in its entirety by a landscaper. While sitting at a traffic light, a fellow scaper passed buy in his pickup truck, moments later after a long rope I guess, was a monster of a tree making its way through the intersection. Unbelievable! After the severity of what I had seen settled, I laughed all day long about it.

DanG
07-23-2002, 11:03 PM
I worked on a dairy farm when I was a teenager and As someone else mentioned in farm country we see that stuff all the time.

I used to pull three things at a time( baler, and two hay wagons) behind the tractors to save on trips back to the barnyard.

Thats a piece of cake compared to driving the combine with 14' grain head on it on a two lane road.

Just have to give yourself lots of room to stop and pay close attention to what everyone else is doing around you.

Dan

captdevo
07-24-2002, 07:16 AM
i've done this numerous times.

i was going to bring two loads of utility trailers back from florida last week and inquired with the various states for which i was to transit....florida requires anti-blowout tires on the first trailer (that alone made me pa$$), al., ms., ar., mo., and ia. were all ok with it.

i delivered a 24' enclosed trailer (with a ramrod, walker and attachments) with a 6x10' behind it to memphis last year with my suburban, it did well, but averaged 5mpg.

doulble tows are easy, try towing a stack of utility trailers over 12' high.....talk about white-knuckle driving....

i just brought back a 24' equipment trailer, 2-6x12', 1-7x10', 1-6x16' and car dolly with a turf tiger, slicer, w/b, billy goat and other stuff back from florida (1300+/- miles)....i cruised 65-70 with my duramax no problem, averaged 12mpg.....it kept me on my toes!

atv220chris
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
In Missouri you can tow two trailers but as soon as you cross over to Illinois you can only pull another trailer with a goose neck or a fifth wheel