PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still walk behind a walk behind????

Jon99
07-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Just wondering, its been a while since I have seen anyone walking behind a 48" or 52" WB....

TLS
07-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Why because its so dry that the grass isn't growing???

I walk behind mine for about 50-60 hrs per year. A sulkey would just hinder its usefullness in the areas I use it. (Gated pools, steep hillsides, real tiny yards)

Jon99
07-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Actually what got me thinking about this is today my velke broke and I did my last 3 yards walking, made the yard look much nicer, but about killed me.. :)

greenman
07-17-2002, 09:23 PM
my sulky never comes off of my wb. don't like to jog behind it in 3rd or 4th gear. if its small enough where I can't use the wb, I use a 21 inch. Hills? never been a problem.

Premo Services
07-17-2002, 09:23 PM
I walk behind my walkbehind too..:D
BUT only on the steeper hills, I will ride if i can. One day of the week, I don't use the lazer, only 1 job I could use it on so I use the walk behind all day. That is mondays, the toughest day of the week!!!!:cry:

lawnkid
07-17-2002, 09:34 PM
I always walk behind my mower. It's great exercise and plus well it doesn't really make a better cut because the cut anyway sucks so.. I usually don't use it on the nice yards. I usually only use it too when i'm not using doubles. My engine is too weak. But soon that problem will be fixed!:D

lazer 46
07-17-2002, 09:35 PM
I have over 120 hrs. of walking on my TThp this year. I also have over 100 hrs. on my Lazer. I could ride on some of the lawns that I walk but I choose to walk because it keeps me in better physical condition. There are many jobs I use both the walker and the Lazer both.

GrassMaster84
07-17-2002, 09:55 PM
I have only walked behind my mower around 2 time this whole year, the rest I leave up to the velke!;)

greenflag
07-17-2002, 10:12 PM
I just got a great deal on a Proslide($200) but I hardly use it.

Being 6'7" & 250lbs I think I slow down the mower to almost the same speed as when I walk.

I do tend to walk fast anyway, so I have thought about selling the proslide just to get my money back out of it. :)

Jimbo
07-17-2002, 10:50 PM
I walk......I feel lazy now that I got my ZTR, so I walk when using the WB. I even have a Velke for it but it's not installed.

I figure if the yards big enough to ride Im using my ZTR, and sitting.

Jim

Doc Pete
07-17-2002, 11:20 PM
I have two WB's........ one I walk only and the other I velky only. I use them both all the time. Sometimes it's just faster to walk those smaller lawns....... Hey, you can't even walk the lawn if you have a heart attack from ridin all the time ;) ;)
Pete

Doc Pete
07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
I walk......I feel lazy now that I got my ZTR, so I walk when using the WB. I even have a Velke for it but it's not installed.

I figure if the yards big enough to ride Im using my ZTR, and sitting.

Jim

So, in other words, I guess "now" your butt "does" look big in those jeans :p
Pete

yardman1
07-18-2002, 12:09 AM
I walk when the wb gets used and that is not alot, thats why i got a ztr:D

sirsweatsalot
07-18-2002, 12:20 AM
i chase my mower all day. sulky in the afternoon if im lucky. but i'd be a lazy sh*t if i didn't walk all day. i piddy da fool who don't have a walk behind. i have to burn off all the cheese burgers and pizzas i eat for lunch every day. if your customers don't see you sweat they don't think there getting their moneys worth!

geogunn
07-18-2002, 12:50 AM
if I mow it I walk it behind the old lesco 48.

I have a bunch of cra* lawns and small commercials such as hotels and the more time I spend riding in circles around obstacles, the longer I am there.

one of the properties that I mow with my 48 has stuff planted every 46 inches! DANG!

in my market, the feet rule.

BTW, for your info...each acre that you mow walking with a 48 inch wb is approximately 2.2 miles!

figure it for yourself!

now don't you guys that walk really feel tired!

GEO

gogetter
07-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by greenflag
I just got a great deal on a Proslide($200) but I hardly use it.

Being 6'7" & 250lbs I think I slow down the mower to almost the same speed as when I walk.

I do tend to walk fast anyway, so I have thought about selling the proslide just to get my money back out of it. :)

I'm with you greenflag. I bought one and tried it on one lawn and didn't like it. Sold mine.
But I am considering getting one of the dual wheel sulkies soon. I know I can go faster if I wasn't walking. Now it's just a case of picking one out of the half dozen brands.

awm
07-18-2002, 07:05 PM
a walk behind is one of the few things a man can do ,for a living,that will bring on supreme condition. eat rite ,a few other specific execizes and i can go 6 rds
anytime. i been there and your endurance becomes almost unlimited.course it helps if your opponent is not mike tyson or something.aint no telling what he mite bite off.:D
kinda miss it ,but not enough to go back to it.

Bigtodd
07-18-2002, 08:33 PM
I built my own sulky for about about $75 and I designed it so that I can put it on and take it off really easily. One of my accounts, I'd be an idiot not to ride, but I agree with some of the other posts that I enjoy the exercise. I end up doing about half and half (riding and walking).

Nelson
07-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by sirsweatsalot
i chase my mower all day. sulky in the afternoon if im lucky. but i'd be a lazy sh*t if i didn't walk all day. i piddy da fool who don't have a walk behind. i have to burn off all the cheese burgers and pizzas i eat for lunch every day. if your customers don't see you sweat they don't think there getting their moneys worth!

I sweat regardless of Sulky or not !!!!!:drinkup:

TJLC
07-18-2002, 08:55 PM
I also own both a w/b and ztr. I use whichever one the situation calls for. Sometimes I use both on the same property. Like I said it just depends. I think each has it's place.

John Gamba
07-19-2002, 07:05 AM
I Tryed It yesturday In Hot humid Whether. I'l Never Leave My Lazer a Home again.
Johnny G.:cool: :cool:

JJOHN22042
07-19-2002, 11:06 AM
Fat Boy here need to walk. So yes I walk on every Lawn.

RYNK
07-19-2002, 01:36 PM
I bought a set of the jungle wheels, and man are they heavy! I have used them maybe twice. I just prefer to walk it.

Cut 2 Please
07-19-2002, 02:48 PM
I will be walking behind my new one since I have a "Z" for the areas that I would be able to ride. I mainly use my walk behind for areas that are to small for the "Z". I don't need to walk behind it for exercise due to the fact that I go to the gym everyday, but the way I look at it I can walk behind just about as fast as I can ride and the time spent unfolding and unchaining the velke is time that I could be mowing. Then you have to deal with backing up and manuvering around obsticles. Seems faster to me to walk. Don't get me wrong though, if I were cutting in a wide open area with long rows I would definately be on the velke if I were using the WB. One other thing that I have realized is when the velke is chained up on the back the front end is much lighter. I have started leaving the velke in the trailer. Seems to make the mower easier to contol going up steep hills.

greenflag
07-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by gogetter

I'm with you greenflag. I bought one and tried it on one lawn and didn't like it. Sold mine.
But I am considering getting one of the dual wheel sulkies soon. I know I can go faster if I wasn't walking. Now it's just a case of picking one out of the half dozen brands.

I actually like the proslide. My Toro only has 1600hrs on it, & I think the extra load is too much for it.

I think the proslide is fun to ride, it is very easy on the back & legs.

If I had a newer machine I would use the proslide.

Garry

Pelican
07-22-2002, 06:37 PM
walkbehind: to go on foot at moderate pace in the rear of

I use mine in its intended form, a sulky would get in the way. I wore a pedometer and I walk over twelve miles a day, the Doctor tells me my cardiovascular system rivals that of a guy in his twenties! I'm 42.

My machine has 1500 hrs on it, all walked, I figure about 8000 miles.

EHesseyLawns
07-22-2002, 06:47 PM
i try to walk as much as possible....but the velke is heaven come 3 and 4 oclock...i have a toro, i cant stand walking behind a pistol grip tho

J. Davis
07-22-2002, 07:42 PM
I have the Toro 44 inch SFS mower with the jungle wheels and I ride most of the time. On some yards, I will pull the pin on the sulkie and walk small sections to speed up the process. Just for the record I would rather ride than walk....(After I complete that section, I will put the wheels back on the mower and continue - 30 seconds to remove and replace the jungle wheels):cool:

J. Davis
07-22-2002, 07:44 PM
The T-bar system on the Toro's work great for walking or riding....:o

Flex-Deck
07-22-2002, 08:22 PM
You all could use a Flex-Deck on your eXmark WB's - Visit our sponsor forum for pics on an eXmark 52" and the JD 36"

Thanks, Brad

Turfdude
07-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Velke and sulky lines look like **** PERIOD. They take away from the finished look of the cut. If you want to ride then get a rider or stander. Most guys can handle any belt drive in 4th gear, or hydro at a comparable speed. I used to run my wb's in 5th (transport) on all of my more open accounts. Of course I was in my twenties then (and for the record, my 52" and 48" machines were all belt drives - so you knew when you ran one of those machines for an entire day).

Bob

Doc Pete
07-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Turfdude
Velke and sulky lines look like **** PERIOD. They take away from the finished look of the cut. If you want to ride then get a rider or stander. Most guys can handle any belt drive in 4th gear, or hydro at a comparable speed. I used to run my wb's in 5th (transport) on all of my more open accounts. Of course I was in my twenties then (and for the record, my 52" and 48" machines were all belt drives - so you knew when you ran one of those machines for an entire day). Bob

The last time I checked, my bull rider's wheels ran in the same groove as the rear tires of my WB. Maybe that's why I don't see any of those "*****" lines;) ;)

brucec32
07-22-2002, 10:32 PM
I pull out my old Toro walk behind for medium sized lawns in the Spring just for the excercise. In the summer, it's just too hot to do more than a few with it, but I did use it just last week one day, to see how it went. I admit I cheated and used the velke on a few of the bigger ones, though. I also walk mow a few lawns each week with a 21" mower because of the cut quality required.

I got cheated by nature. I used to be able to eat about 5,000 calories a day, used my velke all the time, and was a rail. Now I'm older and even sticking to a mere 2,000 calories, I have a hard time getting the 15 extra lbs I'm carrying off. I've had all kinds of medical tests (thyroid, etc) but no doctor can explain this to me. They of course think I'm lying and just eating more. So, I have to make myself walk more to keep the weight off. It's hard, though, because the walking just makes me hungrier. Only the Atkins low carb diet gets the weight off, but I can't do that full time, it's just too limited in variety for me.

greenman
07-22-2002, 11:44 PM
the tires on my sulky are the same width as my wb. there are no extra tracks, just two lines and a stripe.:)