PDA

View Full Version : stone wall

Cooper Landscaping
07-17-2002, 10:58 PM
hey everyone-
iv never done stone walls and one of my customers has requested a dry stacked stone wall approximitly 3 stones high and about 30 feet long. The stones will be provided by him, although we have to go into the woods to find them :( (the woods are right next to the location of the wall). just wondering what a reasonable price estimate for a project like this would be. Any input would be apreciated. Thanks in advace!
-Coop

AGLA
07-17-2002, 11:38 PM
By the hour. If you have to get them out of the woods, it might cost more than buying them.
Write the contract for labor, not for wall building. Without experience you may have to rebuild parts every now and again. That will cost him for labor rather than you gaurantying the wall.
Wall building is difficult and expensive. Don't give the oportunity for a bargain at your expense.

Lanelle
07-17-2002, 11:46 PM
Make certain that that the stone material is of appropriate size and shape for wall building. Otherwise you may find yourself making small stones out of larger ones. Also, there are several books on the market about building dry-stack walls. Learn as much as you can before you start this because you will still have plenty to learn once you get going on the wall.

Cooper Landscaping
07-18-2002, 12:59 AM
AGLA and lanelle- thanks for your responses- i wuz considering working by the hour but wasnt sure how much to charge as i normally chrage by the job- any ideas? and keep the responses coming! thanks!
-Coop

LawnLad
07-18-2002, 12:44 PM
How do you bid for contract jobs? If the job takes 10 hours do you figure $350 or $600 for the labor? Maintenance is different than installation/construction. You should charge more for construction.

You might tell the guy that hunting for rocks in his woods at $50.00/hour give no guarantee of finding the materials that he'll need in 6 to 8 hours. You could buy the rock you need for $400 (two pallets of his choice) for the same cost of what he'll pay you to look for the stone. You'll then have to clean the rock you pull from the woods before you use it.

I dont' like using materials supplied by a customer - it takes too much time to work with the material.

You might try the book "The art and craft of stonescaping" by David Reed. Good luck with the project.

Cooper Landscaping
07-18-2002, 12:52 PM
thanks guys!
-Coop