PDA

View Full Version : Pool Lighting

jabbo
06-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Homeowner about to get inground pool. Have already been reading about the 5ft. rule... So if I have 6ft. on the sides and 8ft. on the ends I should be ok right???? So what are some good options for lighting around the pool. Nothing fancy just some good looking lights. Pics would be nice also. Thanks!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Pretty hard to suggest anything to you with such limited information.

How about calling your local Outdoor Lighting Professional and subbing the lighting component to them. Pros working with Pros is always best for all. You wouldnt recommend a lighting guy to be installing a pool now would you?

jabbo
06-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Pretty hard to suggest anything to you with such limited information.

How about calling your local Outdoor Lighting Professional and subbing the lighting component to them. Pros working with Pros is always best for all. You wouldnt recommend a lighting guy to be installing a pool now would you?
Lighting guys around here are few and far between!!! I am an electronics tech. and did electrical for years. Have no problem with the install just looking for some good choices in lights around a pool.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Ok, none the less... a good lighting design requires more info than you are providing. Some photos, a drawing, and more details as to the style, decor, and expectations of the client might inspire someone here to help you design a good system.

jabbo
06-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Ok, none the less... a good lighting design requires more info than you are providing. Some photos, a drawing, and more details as to the style, decor, and expectations of the client might inspire someone here to help you design a good system.

Yea, see where your coming from. Pool guy has not started yet and don't have any drawings. We have not decided on landscaping yet either so I guess we need to just wait until we are done with the pool to see what we need... Thanks!

wbaptist
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
The code says no lights from 0' to 5' and from 5' to 10' they need to be GFI protected, but the transformer on a GFI does not count as a GFI protected fixture. So this eliminates low voltage from the equation. You will need to use Fiber Optic lighting or 120V mininum. Please see the attached PDF.

RLI Electric
06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
wbaptist, Outstanding diagram. Printing it out now so it can go in my code book. Thank you. Sometimes people need pictures as proof, this is a perfect diagram.

jabbo
06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
The code says no lights from 0' to 5' and from 5' to 10' they need to be GFI protected, but the transformer on a GFI does not count as a GFI protected fixture. So this eliminates low voltage from the equation. You will need to use Fiber Optic lighting or 120V mininum. Please see the attached PDF.
GFCI would not be a problem at all. I already have to add an outside 200 amp disconnect coming from meterbase. Then I have to supply the pool panel with a 60 amp circuit so I am gone go ahead run a 120v line with it.

emby
06-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Jabbo,

Since there are no drawings and you have little information I would prepare by having several chase ways installed from the power source to the gardens around the pool. Put in plenty so that you leave yourself lots of options and size them accordingly. 2" and up. Remember that you can not mix your line voltage with low voltage in the same conduit or raceway.
When the pool is complete and garden beds are in then your set to go with whatever.

Ken:canadaflag:

Pro-Scapes
06-10-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=270443

See nec 680.22 and the above thread. Page 2 of the thread has a diagram. This discusses lighting around a pool in more detail.

No way to recomend fixtures without knowing the subjects to be lit. There are several huge lighting companies in Ga

Alan B
06-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Jabbo,

One thing to consider when you choose fixtures and placement for a pool that is easy to overlook is glare effect to people who are in the pool (if they will use pool at night). A path/area light that looks good when you are installing may be aimed in someones eyes if they are in the pool or spa (down lower looking up). Personally for pools I think paying attention to glare, placing fixtures so there is minimum glare, and using fixtures with glare control is important. Additionally a more subtle lighting approach can create more drama/ambiance/tranquility which go nicely with a nighttime pool atmosphere.

Pool lights (the lights built into the pool) often create a lot of ambient light. Be sure to turn those on and view scene at night before doing you lighting plan and take the pool lights into consideration and how they fit into the scheme (pool lights always on or only when pool is in use. Are lights for safety and utility (kids playing in pool at night), adults in hot tub, or to make backyard look nice for parties/when looking out from kitchen window..... these are the questions professional designers will have experience in addressing. You are ~ 40 miles from Macon and appear to be in a somewhat less populated area-- I could see finding a pro nearby challenging. I hope the advice helps.

Regarding fixtures, it depends on the above questions, but some fixtures with exc glare control that we manufacture include the Top Dog (spotlight), most of the Area Lights, deck lights, step lights. MR16 well light for taller items in beds near pool.

Sincerely,

Alan

jabbo
06-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Jabbo,

One thing to consider when you choose fixtures and placement for a pool that is easy to overlook is glare effect to people who are in the pool (if they will use pool at night). A path/area light that looks good when you are installing may be aimed in someones eyes if they are in the pool or spa (down lower looking up). Personally for pools I think paying attention to glare, placing fixtures so there is minimum glare, and using fixtures with glare control is important. Additionally a more subtle lighting approach can create more drama/ambiance/tranquility which go nicely with a nighttime pool atmosphere.

Pool lights (the lights built into the pool) often create a lot of ambient light. Be sure to turn those on and view scene at night before doing you lighting plan and take the pool lights into consideration and how they fit into the scheme (pool lights always on or only when pool is in use. Are lights for safety and utility (kids playing in pool at night), adults in hot tub, or to make backyard look nice for parties/when looking out from kitchen window..... these are the questions professional designers will have experience in addressing. You are ~ 40 miles from Macon and appear to be in a somewhat less populated area-- I could see finding a pro nearby challenging. I hope the advice helps.

Regarding fixtures, it depends on the above questions, but some fixtures with exc glare control that we manufacture include the Top Dog (spotlight), most of the Area Lights, deck lights, step lights. MR16 well light for taller items in beds near pool.

Sincerely,

Alan

I really appreciate the advice. We are going with the fiber optic in the pool so its going to be pretty lit up by itself. All im looking for on the outside is something simple(I know all you lighting guys don't like to hear someone say that.lol) that would go right around the cool deck. Maybe a foot or foot and a half high. Pretty much like the ones at Home Depot/Lowes EXCEPT I want some thats alittle more attractive...Not really wanting to do a whole lot of major lighting because although I really like the looks of it, it would look rather out of place in the area we live if you know what I mean. Very rural!!!!!Thanks again...

Alan B
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
yikes. I would reconsider on many fronts, but its up to you.

1. I live in Florida and had fiber optic lighting in my pool. I had it removed and replaced with traditional pool lights. At least in our case, very hard to well illuminate a larger pool with fiber optics (1 remote lamp/light going thru small fiber optics and transmitting to a large pool just didn't light our pool up well). We have pool, spa, 2 ponds, 2water falls all tied into fiberstar systems and found it very weak. I could see using it for very specific applications like backlighting a waterfall, but for lighting the main pool... I didn't like it.
2. Pagodas -- awful. You see the glass lens (glare), low to the ground so actual area of illumination is very small. High glare and low illumination = poor fixture. They are more like marker lights. Plus aluminum will corrode in the chlorine environment.

However give it a shot, live and learn. When we first started, we carried pagoda's. I put right into the description (really) "Pogoda Schmoda... frowned on by lighting designers... buy if you MUST" People still bought them. I have since learned better not to even carry them. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and be happy.

jabbo
06-12-2010, 11:32 AM
yikes. I would reconsider on many fronts, but its up to you.

1. I live in Florida and had fiber optic lighting in my pool. I had it removed and replaced with traditional pool lights. At least in our case, very hard to well illuminate a larger pool with fiber optics (1 remote lamp/light going thru small fiber optics and transmitting to a large pool just didn't light our pool up well). We have pool, spa, 2 ponds, 2water falls all tied into fiberstar systems and found it very weak. I could see using it for very specific applications like backlighting a waterfall, but for lighting the main pool... I didn't like it.
2. Pagodas -- awful. You see the glass lens (glare), low to the ground so actual area of illumination is very small. High glare and low illumination = poor fixture. They are more like marker lights. Plus aluminum will corrode in the chlorine environment.

However give it a shot, live and learn. When we first started, we carried pagoda's. I put right into the description (really) "Pogoda Schmoda... frowned on by lighting designers... buy if you MUST" People still bought them. I have since learned better not to even carry them. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and be happy.

Here is the Fiber-Optic System we will be putting in. Looks like its doing a pretty good job to me... Thanks for the info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScOhSOkrW9w