PDA

View Full Version : does this look like summer patch?

ant
07-17-2002, 11:08 PM
pic

ant
07-17-2002, 11:11 PM
pic 2

lawnstudent
07-18-2002, 12:05 AM
What was the weather pattern in your area before the appearance of this fungal disease? Hot days followed by wet periods (or hot days periodically interrupted by heavy lawn watering)? If so, this could be summer patch. Or extended periods of hot, moist overcast days with night time temps over 60 degree F? Then it may be Rhizoctonia Brown Patch.

jim

thfireman
07-18-2002, 09:41 AM
I agree with Jim. I think if those conditions apply it is most likely Brown Patch. I thought when I saw your pics I was looking at one of my lawns. That same layout was in one of mine and it has now recovered. It is either brown patch or Crop Circles!! I place my bet on the patch.

:angel:

FERT REP
07-19-2002, 11:09 AM
With the cool wet weather we experienced this spring I have seen quite a bit of necrotic ring spot.It develops during this period but often is not visible until the advent of hot,dry weather when the turfs declined root structure becomes evident. If the stand is sodded it is even more at risk of developing NRS.

grassguy_
07-20-2002, 10:05 PM
Looks more like Fusarium blight or Summer patch, especially with the weather we've had this year. Time to slitseed with a disease tolerant Bluegrass and Ryegrass mix so this ptach problem doesnt continue from year to year.

lawnstudent
07-21-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by grassguy_
Looks more like Fusarium blight or Summer patch, especially with the weather we've had this year. Time to slitseed with a disease tolerant Bluegrass and Ryegrass mix so this ptach problem doesnt continue from year to year.

Fusarium Blight is an old obsolete name. Reasearch as reclassified this fungal disesase as Summer Patch/Necrotic Ring Spot.

jim

tremor
07-21-2002, 11:21 AM
NRS, Summer Patch, Fusarium, & Brown Patch all look identical in photos.

If this turf ran droughty lately I'd wager Fusarium.

If this turf has been deluged with water (rain or heavy irrigation) then it's probably Summer Patch.

If neither extreme has presented itself & the local weahter has favored it, I'll wager Brown Patch. Since I'm not far away, Brown Patch has my vote.

When diagnosing turf diseases, I find that the past 2 weeks of weather data combined with a dose of historical data, & the species & it's existing micro-climate are way more important than the above ground visual symptoms. The same disease cooking on different grass types on the same lawn but in a different micro-climate will look markedly different even if the patches go down at or around the same time.

Steve

grassguy_
07-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Notice I said Fusarium Blight or Summer patch, see I'm from the old school but those from the new school know it as the latter! Hence OR, thanks Lawnstudent.