PDA

View Full Version : pay in advance

sgtgm5
07-17-2002, 11:35 PM
How stupid can i be,,,, Im in a rut but I'm glad i did it but still knew i should'nt have done it......
The story, ..Had a guy who wanted to give his goddaughter a bicycle for her birthday and she is woth it but i knew if i did then i would take a chance in not getting paid from this guy,,, from working for me or cash,,, he's a drunk but alot going for him if he only put his mind to it,,,,,
Anyhow, I asked him to work 3 times this week and he said sure bt when i showed up he was not there or couldnt, now keep in mind this guy is in his late 20's, so im wondering why did i do this knowing there was a chance,, somtimes my heart gets in the way,,,, damn

JimLewis
07-18-2002, 02:36 AM
Hey, no offense. But you need to learn how to organize your thoughts better. That was one of the most confusing run-on sentences I've ever read. I had to re-read it twice to figure out what you were saying.

Anyway, I understand what you are saying. Lord knows I've given plenty of guys their "second chances" in this business. But eventually you'll learn you can't run a business that way. First chance, sure. If they prove themselves worthy, keep them. But you can't let them stay if they are bringing you down.

I know it sucks. You want to help people and they just won't even try to help themselves. I feel that way all the time. But you can only have so much sympathy for these people.

I think there is a lot of wisdom in the famous quote, "Most people are exactly in life where they've chosen to be." It's very true. We are all where we are in life as a result of our previous decisions. These people continue to make bad decisions and you can't get too close to people like that.

65hoss
07-18-2002, 07:10 AM
I made it a policy, no money up front. Many can't work it off, because they are still behind and can't afford to. I've been asked several times but I fortunately haven't given in.

Hawkeye5
07-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Alarms should go off if an employee asks for a salary advance. You are not a lending institution, and most of the time the advance turns out to be a gift rather than a loan. Seems that people that ask for advances can't or won't manage their money and live within their means, or are too lazy to work for a steady income, they become con-artists to support themselves. They always seem to have a good reason for the request, but it's all BS, all they want is the money without the honest labor required to EARN it. Sorry about the rant, this one hits close to home. JD

bettern'goats
07-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Each situation is different. First time shame on him/her, second time shame on you.

craigc
07-18-2002, 02:22 PM
This is kind of off topic but I have a friend that pays on mondays rather than fridays. The reason being is that then they show up after the weekend, as well as tend to manage money their money better because then they don't have the two days off to go out and blow it all. Sorry to be off topic. I just thought that it was an interesting approach.

Navig8r
07-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Reminds me of a couple of quotes......

"If you lend someone $20.00, and you never see them again, It was probably worth the money"

ALSO

"Never loan more than you can afford to not get back"

Lose him and hire someone who wants to work hard for his pay, therefore making more $$$ for YOU too......

Sounds like you've been generous and he's taking advantage,
Good Luck

CLM1103
07-19-2002, 10:10 PM
I had an employee that came to me and told me that his bank would loan him $500.00 if I co-signed for him. I told him to go back to his bank and tell them if they would co-sign, I would loan him the money. Never heard any more about it.:blob3: