PDA

View Full Version : Toro Super Recycler or Honda HRX - HELP!

faltered
06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I am ready to buy today. Been reading for days, sounds like you cant make a bad decision between these two mowers.

Just want to get some opinions....

Looking at the Honda HRX for 599$ at homedepot. I can get 10% off

Also considering a Toro Super Recycler from Ace Hardware - and there are a few options - Briggs, Kohler and Honda engines - but as long as its a super recycler i guess thats what I want. Prices are about the same 499-599

Any opinions between these 2?

I will rarely if ever bag. So the best mulcher is whats important to me. Honda has twin blades - must be better right? No? Honda is rated #1, must be the one to get right?

I like the idea of the Personal Pace better than the thumb control on the Honda - and I also like the idea of the wash-out port on the Toro.

I am also interested in this Honda HRX feature for "some bag, some mulch" adjuster. Maybe I will like that?

Pretty large yard, push mowing takes me about 1 hour twenty min. total.

I would love to hear what you experts have to say. I am so on the fence between the two i just dont know which to get.

Thanks everyone.

faltered
06-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I mentioned also that I rarely bag. I was under the impression that mulching is better for your yard. But heck, i really dont know what im talking about.

So if your really going to be a master of your yard, and try to keep up with the AMAZING yard that my neighbor has, is it better to mulch or bag? And if something is different - would that change which mower between the HRX and Super Recycler?

I am really curious about this HRX feature that lets you do a mix of both.

FuturePilot4u
06-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I mentioned also that I rarely bag. I was under the impression that mulching is better for your yard. But heck, i really dont know what im talking about.

So if your really going to be a master of your yard, and try to keep up with the AMAZING yard that my neighbor has, is it better to mulch or bag? And if something is different - would that change which mower between the HRX and Super Recycler?

I am really curious about this HRX feature that lets you do a mix of both.

i would say mulching is healthier for your yard...i have the toro...mulches excellent but blade must be sharp as on any mulching mower. the quick wash is good for getting the big stuff off and just soaking it but to really do it you need to lift the mower up. it also only sprays half of the deck. the toro is fuel injected thus there is no carb which results in better starting with no primer bulb or choke like a honda. i plan to buy the honda very soon to, as they are the 2 best rated mowers there is. both mowers are rather light but since u say your yard is so nice it should not jump like on a bumpy yard. i think the toro would suit you fine, it mulches very well and have never left me 1 clump, once i get my honda i will get a review.

faltered
06-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Heck! I am sooooo torn on which to get!
Posted via Mobile Device

FuturePilot4u
06-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Heck! I am sooooo torn on which to get!
Posted via Mobile Device

also i suggest you find a dealer around you that may let you demo the machines, also most dealers work on what they sell for free, you just pay parts.

pitchar
06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm no expert but I have had both. Gave up the Toro when I moved into an apartment. When I bought another house I bought the Honda. I prefer the Honda for it's power and the double blade. Mulches great. My bagger's never been back on the mower since I brought it home. I definitely had a better yard than both my neighbors. Built tough, it must weigh 100lbs!!

faltered
06-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm no expert but I have had both. Gave up the Toro when I moved into an apartment. When I bought another house I bought the Honda. I prefer the Honda for it's power and the double blade. Mulches great. My bagger's never been back on the mower since I brought it home. I definitely had a better yard than both my neighbors. Built tough, it must weigh 100lbs!!

I have literally changed my mind about 5 times just tonight. Normally I am never like this. I'm leaning toward the Honda. This is killing me.
Posted via Mobile Device

MSJRE
06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey there faltered,

I don't know if I'm too late to reply but I wanted to post my 2 cents in case it helps. A few days ago I bought a Torp SR model 20092. Took it back the next day because my daughter (who helps with the lawn) had trouble with the pull cord (easy enough for me though). Model 20092 doesn't have the "blade break" feature (was included on the discontinued SR 20093) and when we (she) bag she'd have to pull-start the mower 8 times or so each mowing session.

Picked up the Super Bagger (SB) 20197 and absolutely love it! It's based on the Lawn Boy 10797. I had a Toro recycler (complete with the kickers) since '93 and while it was a very good long-lasting mower, I was never completely happy with the quality of cut mainly because it didn't have a very good vacuum so it didn't lift the grass blades well.

Things I love about the SB:

- Honda engine. Very quiet and smooth

- Blade break works great. I really like this feature and much prefer it over electric start. Just pull start the mower once and shut it off when your done.

- Bagging couldn't be easier. Grass forced into bag completely and removing and reinstalling bag is nearly effortless (just remember to use the rubber holder on the handle that keeps the pull cord out of the way after you start the engine). I don't like messing with the cover flap on the SR models (and most other brands I've seen too) every time you have to remove/replace the bag. No cover flap on the SB.

- Personal Pace (sense-a-speed from LB heritage) is great. I imagine little to no difference though compared to PP on the SRs. My wife commented she didn't like the "thumb drive" while looking at the Hondas. I would think I'd get thumb fatigue before long. With the PP I found myself getting a great workout (not hard just fun) because the mower would go so fast and still cut well. Of course you can go any speed you want.

- Adjustable upper handle angle. Very easy to personalize handle height without bending over.

- Vacuum power! I've heard both the deck design and the close tolerance of the end of the blade to the inside of the deck helps creat a good vacuum. My experience says it's true. My grass stands up much better now after cutting and the cut is much more even and precise.

- Tires design creates very good grip. I've got some hills and no problem with these tires.

Sorry I can't comment on the mulching yet but I've read that the LB 10797 (same design as Toro SB 20197) mulches very well. I'd be happy to comment once I've tried it. IMO the mulching plug is a bit easier to get on and off than the one on the SR.

Overall I am really please I went with the Super Bagger.

Cheers.

All_Toro_4ME
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Faltered: I had the HRX model you're referring to before I bought the HRC model. Its a solid unit. For that price, you should be able to get into Honda's hydro model. It's a much smoother transmission with no thumb drive to worry about. The partial mulch/partial bag system it has is pretty good. You'll need to clear the grass away from the sliding plate from time to time because the door will get clogged and prevent it from closing fully for mulch mode. And most important because the unit has 2 blades, when it's time to replace or remove them for sharpening, remove the outside bolts along the blades. Leave the bolt in the center alone.

faltered
06-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Well I chose the Toro. I got the Super Recycler 20099 with the Kohler engine. I couldnt be happier. Hard to say if I would have liked the Honda better - but regardless I am very happy with it.

Oiled and Gas and it started on pull 1. I was very impressed. It took a min or so to warm up completely for first run, but then ran like a dream.

I had let the lawn get a little bit long in between getting this new mower. The Super Recycler left NO trace of anything. Mulching was amazing.

When I was all done, i was excited to try out the clean-out hole with a garden hose. That sure worked slick. All cleaned up and put away nice in the garage.

Both my neighbors came over to see the new toy and both were very impressed with the cut.

I sure hope this helps someone else make a decision on a mower. I was really torn between the two. Honestly, what really nailed it was the really great salesman at homedepot - I was asking him between the Honda HRX and Toro SR. HD does not offer the SR series, only the regular Recycler. He told me to go buy the Toro! He said it was the one he had personally. I was kind of blown away by that.

So there it is. Im happy.

cpt87gn
06-13-2010, 06:19 PM
how much did you pay?

faltered
06-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I got it for 509$ from Ace Hardware. It was the display unit so I got a good deal on it.