PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn Care - Instructions

TheGrassGuy
07-18-2002, 04:57 AM
I have been having some trouble with some lawn installations and upgrades we have done - not watering or mowing correctly. I try and get most of these on a maintenance contract but doesn't always work. I explain what needs to be done but I guess they forget. I was going to make up a one page list of instructions to stress how important it is to water a new lawn as well as when and how much - along with other guidelines such as mowing and fertilizer. Does anyone have something like this they could share and I could modify?. If so please post or email me.

Thanks
Dave

LawnLad
07-18-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm sure to some degree that a direction sheet will vary by locality. Start by using some textbooks or online fact sheets that will give you a start. I found when we created ours that just using one source of information was not sufficient.

In addition to a one page description of what to do, we added a chart on the back of the page. like a matrix. The date/timeframe down the left hand side and the action across the top. So for instance in the 0-7 days under cutting, the note would say none. Under watering it would read "light, frequent waterings"

We use the headers:
Watering
Mowing
Fertilizing
Pesticide Applications
Aeration
Thatching

We carry the timeframe
0-7 days
8 to 14 days
25 to 21 days
22 to 30 days
31 to 60 days
6 months
1 year

Or something along these lines... I don't have one in front of me, but you can get the idea. The detail is really in the written format on the front side of the sheet describing how to water and for how long and what to expect and when. The grid/matrix on the back side is just a quick reference.

Stonehenge
07-18-2002, 06:50 PM
I like what Lawnlad uses. We use something similar, but not in matrix form. Even with that, people seem to have a hard time following directions. Even if you go over the instructions in person, and leave behind the paper copy.

But it does help.

LawnLad
07-18-2002, 07:30 PM
You're right... people generally do not follow their directions like they should. Just as I don't when it comes to watching my diet as my doctor instructs. Though I say I will.

However - there is some hope. I have had two customers recently that have done a great job watering - it makes us look good. We put a lawn in during the heat of June - they've watered faithfully and everything has come up as it should. Another customer is filling her Gator bags on her trees and watering the ornamentals down to the annuals just as she should. Puts a smile on my face.

SCL
07-18-2002, 11:14 PM
I often say that I'm going to make a twelve step instruction sheet , the first eleven steps would say water new grass twice a day, the twelfth would say see the first eleven:D

TheGrassGuy
07-19-2002, 05:58 PM
I guess nobody gives out this kind of instructions to customers with new or repaired lawns.

What do you tell them when the job is completed and what do you do if they do not water? Any warranty or does this void it?

ipm
07-19-2002, 07:21 PM
My agreement states: Warranty is void unless professionly maintained.(12 months usually)Not in those exact words but you follow? I know it is hard to see good, hard work go down the drain(or maybe not, depending on the customer). I see this as a perfect opp. for repair work etc. They came to you the 1st time right? you provided a quality service? They did not protect their investment. A large % of people(customers) have no idea what is involved in proper management. They look in books and say "I want that!" I know I'm rambling>>>>>