PDA

View Full Version : May Do It Today - Scag Freedom Z 48

coughlin47
06-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I've been researching ZTRs for a couple of weeks, with the intent on purchasing late this year, or early next year (just spent a bundle of $$$ on a new mini-barn/shed, so money isn't exactly abundant). My short list was:
Hustler Fastrak 54 with 21 hp Kawa
Exmark Lazer Z 52 with 24 Kawa
Scag Freedom Z 52 with 19 Kawa

non-commercial use - slightly more that 2 acres to mow, a bit rough, with 30 trees and plantings.

Today I picked up my blades for the tractor, and I asked the dealer for a 'ball park' figure for the units on my short list. I haven't dealt with this dealer before, but he is local and has a good reputation. He said the best deal on the floor was a 2009 Scag Freedom Z 48 with 26 HP Briggs ELS for $4500. I had also looked at the BigDog 54 with 24HP kohler for $5000. I know the briggs has less torgqu than the 19 Kawa, and some/most say the Briggs is not as good of an engine as the Kawa, but, this seems like a really good deal, and I;ll probably go ahead with it. Also, one of the selling points is the comfort of the seat. I have a lower back problem, and the Scag seat seems to be more comfortable than others I've tried.
Bill

piediddy
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
i have the freedomz 48' 26hp briggs. I keep up on the maintenance and haven't had 1 problem yet. I thought it was the best buy for under 5k and my dealer is within 2 miles.

coughlin47
06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
i have the freedomz 48' 26hp briggs. I keep up on the maintenance and haven't had 1 problem yet. I thought it was the best buy for under 5k and my dealer is within 2 miles.
Always good to hear positive feedback :) This dealer is approx 5 miles, and the one I've been dealer with on my tractors (Husqvarna, MTD, etc) is 20 miles. I have no problems with that dealer, and he does sell BigDog ZTRs which is a spin-off of Hustler. They have a 54 inch with 24hp Kohler for $5k, but hard to justify $500 more and with very little, if any, real world feedback from users with the BigDog. We may change our mind by the end of the day, and if we do, I realize that I will be paying quite a bit more for one next spring.
Thanks for taking time to comment.
Bill

rkmcniel
06-11-2010, 11:45 PM
I just got a Freedom Z Wed w/ the 19 Kaw this week...incredible! you will love it!! Had a couple of yards this week that they don't want mowed but every other week and with all the rain we had last week...pretty thick!! It cut incredible...that Kawasaki kicked that grass out...amazing! Yes, the seat is incredible, even has some give where your feet are...

btmfl82
06-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Rkmcniel,,,,,Do you have the 48" or 52" deck. My local dealer keeps recommending the B&S 26 HP for the 52", but I would prefer the Kawi. I would like to hear about real world experience with the 19 HP Kawi on the 52" deck.

Bluffman
06-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Have your dealer give you the torque specs on both engines. Torque does the work not HP. The whole reason Scag offers the 26 Briggs is that it's a cheap engine option that needs to be a 26HP to get to the torque curve the Kawi has. It's the same story with the Kohler. Kohler makes a great engine but to compare to the Kawi, the Kohler needs to be a 23HP. Get the engine YOU want (and you'll pay for it) but you're already dumping a bundle for a homeowner on a good mower. Pony up the extra few percent in overall cost and get a good engine. I've always said that after I get over the initial "sticker shock" and then "buyers remorse" I've never regreted paying extra for QUALITY. I assume your dealer has the Briggs model sitting in stock. He wants to unload it but he'll take your money for any model you want. Scag will get any mower anywhere in the US within a week I'm pretty certain. Think this through a little more. Good luck to you.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
The 19 HP Kawi is all over the 26 Briggs ELS!

26 Briggs ELS
Displacement 724 cc
Maximum Torque 33 ft. lbs. @ 2600 RPM
Dry Weight 80.0 lbs

19 HP Kawi
Displacement 585cc
Maximum Torque 36.6 ft. lbs @ 2000 rpm
Dry Weight 71.2 lbs

Good Luck!

:drinkup:

coughlin47
06-12-2010, 01:24 PM
The 19 HP Kawi is all over the 26 Briggs ELS!

26 Briggs ELS
Displacement 724 cc
Maximum Torque 33 ft. lbs. @ 2600 RPM
Dry Weight 80.0 lbs

19 HP Kawi
Displacement 585cc
Maximum Torque 36.6 ft. lbs @ 2000 rpm
Dry Weight 71.2 lbs

Good Luck!

:drinkup:
As it turns out, I didn't purchase the unit. Having just spent almost $5k for a mini-barn (12 by 24 high side) including excavation and leveling, and just finding out that our son may be getting married towards the end of the year, and having just spent $300 for repair of my tractor, I decided that financially the ZTR will have to wait until next spring. I'm going to stop at the dealer (I want to purchase from this one - they've been great - very informative and not pushy, and they work with many of the commercial outfits in the area) - I'll be looking for the Scag 52 with the Kawa engine next spring. Yes, I'll be spending more $$, but It just has to wait. Of course, I'll still be hanging out here as this forum is very informative, and some of the stories on the commercial threads are very interesting (and funny) to read.
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to comment. My 'short list' on ZTRs has been trimmed quite a bit due to the expertise/experience of the members here. (yes, the Hustler Fastrak is still on the list, although I have to say that for me, given my size and sore lower back, the Scag seemed to be a better ride)
Bill

mdale
06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey Coughlin, Can I find out more info on your mini barn? I'm needing to replace my shed and 5K for a 12x24 seem good. Did you build it yourself, kit, or pre-built? Also any pics?

Thanks

coughlin47
06-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Hey Coughlin, Can I find out more info on your mini barn? I'm needing to replace my shed and 5K for a 12x24 seem good. Did you build it yourself, kit, or pre-built? Also any pics?

Thanks
Total cost was between $4500 and $5000 and that included $600 for site preparation (excavation, leveling, and the stone). Picture is from the web site ... I'll put up a picture of mine tonight. Has a garage door on the end, and a side door. I had extra large windows put in, a ridge vent, upgraded flooring, and a 4 by 12 'loft' on one end - great for storing lots of other miscellaneous items. I live in Eastern PA, and there are quite a few Amish/Menonite garage/shed businesses. I went thru
www.rickslawnfurniture.com honest people, and they are local to me, and they also hauled the old shed away.
Bill

Capemay Eagle
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I was between the Freedom Z and the Huster MFT and went with the MFT a few years back. I am looking for a new mower once again and I will be looking at the Freedom Z once again. I am now going to start pricing the Freedom Z 48" and the Hustler FT 48". I am in no hurry. I would like to get one by October, I am mainly looking for a new mower for the upgraded collection system for fall cleanups.