PDA

View Full Version : Ash Tree Issue - pics attached

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Guys,

Had a customer call and ask what is going on with his Ash tree. Pics are attached. Immediately around here, you think EAB - but there are no exit holes for the larva, no frass around the trunk either.

There is dieback at the top of the tree. Some with more experience in tree diagnosis, please chime in.

Thx,
DA

gunsnroses
06-11-2010, 05:26 PM
possible embolism. Almost looks like some sunscald on upper trunk....hard to tell how big it is (dbh) but did you wrap it last year? Is south behind the picture takerer. You may lose more branches next year...like left side leader

Think Green
06-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I may want to add that if you should find any limbs or branches laying around the lawn, break on in half and look for tunnels or chambers in the soft center wood. There is more than one kind of borer. I have a customer with a hundred or more green ash trees in Arkansas here that show no signs of the EAB but the crowns are thinning and the limbs are breaking off severely. The borer will attack other places other than the basal area.
There is another vector insect called the twig girdler that will girdle a branch after the eggs are laid.......the larvae will grow inside, eat on the living tissue, and as the branch dies, the wind blows them off the tree where the insect can emerge from the branch. You will see a perfect looking notch around the broken end of the branch like someone used a pencil sharpener on the end.

tyler_mott85
06-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Whatever the consensus is I'll be interested in learning. I kid you not when I say that nearly every Ash I have looked out here in Wichita looks similar to that. Many of my customers have these trees and this year look like they just lived through a nuclear holocaust. I have not done much research on what is causing it because it is City wide I figure it must of been something in the weather or seasonal.

grassman177
06-12-2010, 12:01 AM
interested as well, here there are several things i have never seen b4, we got fire blight on pear trees going into leaf and they look terrible. i have yet to see ANY disease or insect do any damage to these. also, blue spruce are up and dying in about a month, going sraight brown with no cause in sight, no borers, no blight, no bagworms etc. estension agents dont have answers but they are dropping and turning brown all over!

i have seen ash trees do this from winter kill to be back on topic, but without being there to inspect the tree myself, i can only speculate

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Wow, looks like I got a stumper.....
Will keep monitoring this.....

GreenerND
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a very similar looking tree in my tree rows. Had a bird feeder hanging in it and an aphid infestation in the willows across the yard. The birds brought the aphids over. I'm planting lady bugs in the willows.

grassman177
06-12-2010, 01:45 PM
aphids are easy to identify though, there signs and honey dew are easy to spot

R & R Yard Designs
06-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Look at the base about one to two feet up. Take a knive and peel off the bark, you might have the redheaded borer, they don't make exit hole that you would think of. The holes face down on an angle so they are hard to spot.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Bump - I have called the U of M Ext here and hopefully they will help me diagnose (esp. if I mention 'EAB')

Glenn Lawn Care
06-14-2010, 11:19 PM
It's gotta be EAB.

Eric E
06-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Don't take a knife and start peeling, that will only make it worse.

Can you get a picture of the trunk and soil level?

The tree looks to be about 3-4" caliper, Is that correct?

By the look of the tip die back i would say it is a root/translocation issue. I suspect that the tree is planted too deep. Is there a flare at the base? Grass appears to be up to the trunk. Is there much weedeater/mower damage?