PDA

View Full Version : Blocking St. Augustine

Ira
06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
My yard is about two acres. The 22,000 sqft around my home is a well established (initially sodded solid) Zoysia Palisades lawn. It is all covered by an irrigation system, and a pro comes out six times a year for various lawn treatments. The Zoysia butts up against my street in the front, and the rest of my yard on the other three sides. It looks very good, and I'm very happy with it, except...

The rest of the two acres is a mixture of native weeds and native St. Augustine.

The entire two acres is mowed weekly most of the year. The mowing height is 1.5 to 2". The thickness of the Zoysia and the regular treatments are doing a good job of keeping the weeds out.

Recently, I've noticed that the St. Aug is encroaching on the Zoysia in a few places. The runners are fairly easy to pull up because the thickness of the Zoysia keeps them running mostly on top of it. However, in some areas the St. Aug seems to be winning out. I've talked to the treatment guy, and he's going to put some MSMA on the areas where the St. Aug is encroaching. I'm going to use Roundup where the St. Aug has taken over, and anywhere the St. Aug is close to the Zoysia to kill it back five feet or so.

So the question...will a good commercial quality plastic edging (like Ace of Diamond) help to keep the St. Aug back? I would probably continue to use something like MSMA (as long as it's available) or Drive XLR8 on an infrequent basis to help.

Thanks,
Ira

lawnguy26
06-19-2010, 01:54 AM
OK...let me see if I can explain this. The answer to question is yes, any type of plastic edging buried a few inches into the soil will stop st. aug.

st. aug only grows from stolons which grow above the soil. unlike other grasses and weeds which may grow from rhizomes (above or under soil) or seed (spread by common traffic or wind)

since st. aug will not grow underneath soil or spread from seed. all it takes is a simple barrier and frequent edging for any stolons trying to grow over barrier.