PDA

View Full Version : Bookkeeping Spreadsheet Template for MS Works Spreadsheet.

tyler_mott85
06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Anyone use a simple spreadsheet for their bookkeeping? I am not to the point of needing to purchase a software bundle as of now.

Any templates?

Thanks.

Fvstringpicker
06-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Do yourself a favor and get quickbooks. You can get the simple version for less than $100.

Roger
06-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Agree with Fvstringpicker.

Your question is not uncommon, especially the threads about "Software to create invoices." Why would you want to develop a spreadsheet for "bookkeeping," and then move to a financial management package? Somewhere, you need to manage your income and expenses, record receipt of payments, prepare bank deposits, etc. Why would you do a spreadsheet separately, and have to enter data twice? The same question applies to those wanting software to create invoices.

I have asked the same question of those with the invoice questions, but nobody answers about entering the data twice. Why try to save time with one task, yet spend more time on double data management? The procedure makes no sense to me. Part of being a business owner is to manage the data associated with your business responsibly.

Get QB Pro, learn it, and learn to manage the financial end of your business well. I've never met a successful business owner who has NOT managed finances well, but I've seen many unsuccessful ones who did not take care with their financial information.

WheatBookkeeping
04-16-2011, 01:18 PM
You’ll outgrow a simple spread sheet system very quickly. My advice is to start right out with the low-end version of Quick Books.

The “simple” spreadsheet that you are likely to find

will not have good reporting capabilities
will not have adequate backup/restore functionality
won’t come with helps and explanations
won’t warn you if you are about to input an error
Will not come with update support

If you occasionally use an accountant or tax guy, they’ll have a seizure.

To a third party, your books are a window on how well your business is conducted. The lenders or vendors who judge your operation in terms of advancing credit may look unsympathetically toward your company because of an untidy spread sheet system fraught with inaccuracies.