PDA

View Full Version : Topdressing machine

cgaengineer
06-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Anyone own a push powered one? Any suggestions on a decent push powered one or should I not even waste my time with something that small?
Posted via Mobile Device

Barefoot James
06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Wheel barrow and high powered back pack blower!

I have tested some drop compost top dresser from Ritten House. Spreads really nice - IF YOU HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD. They cost about a grand and hold about 6 cu ft. Spreads really nice but again filling, pushing, time and the cost are just not worth it on a commercial scale. Wheel barrow and blower works much better and when Lawn Solutions get theirs on the market, many problems will be solved.

cgaengineer
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Well I normally do it by hand but I am talking about spreading sand, not compost. It seems like I will spend more time loading than using.
Posted via Mobile Device

phasthound
06-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Well I normally do it by hand but I am talking about spreading sand, not compost. It seems like I will spend more time loading than using.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, that is the issue. Why are you spreading sand?

cgaengineer
06-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Yes, that is the issue. Why are you spreading sand?

Because that's what you do to bermuda lawns to make them level. Sometimes my sand mix contains compost but its not always needed.

phasthound
06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Because that's what you do to bermuda lawns to make them level. Sometimes my sand mix contains compost but its not always needed.

Compost/organic matter will always benefit a lawn in many ways; improve nutrient cycling, reduce disease pressure, improve soil structure, reduce drought stress, increase root development, etc. Why not always add it to the mix?

chaser2587
06-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Compost/organic matter will always benefit a lawn in many ways; improve nutrient cycling, reduce disease pressure, improve soil structure, reduce drought stress, increase root development, etc. Why not always add it to the mix?

I believe your overlooking the main goal here, and that's get the lawn level. I"m not saying the compost wouldn't be good for the health of the lawn, but imho it would be served for a seperate project. The sand is hard enough to spread by itself, much less with compost or any organic matter added in as well.

cgaengineer
06-13-2010, 12:59 AM

No doubt compost helps, but its pretty tough to mix compost with 7 yards of sand without a mixer. I can always add compost later and as a matter of fact I added composted manure prior to topdressing.
Posted via Mobile Device