PDA

View Full Version : Plant new tree where old tree was?

360ci
06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys, I haven't come across this question until now and would like to get some feedback in this regard.

I cut down a tree for a client (7" diam long needle pine; not very tall) and he was going to call someone to grind the stump down he but now wants someone to pull it out of the ground as best they can to get the roots out in order for him to plant a new tree. Can he grind the stump down a few inches below the ground and plant a tree around the old stump (not on top of course) without causing any problems down the road?

I told him for someone to remove the tree they'd have to check for buried wires and pipes and scoop it out to the tune of at least $1K, not to mention it'll terrorize the yard in the process. It wasn't a high tree, but I do suspect the larger roots go under at least ten feet or roughly the height of the tree. I can't see it being a problem with planting a young tree a foot away from the stump, but again, I'd just like to get some feedback - I already know he's nuts in wanting it scooped out, so no need to tell me that!

Eric E
06-13-2010, 11:58 PM
The majority of tree roots are in the top 12 inches of soil. The idea that the root system is a mirror image of the crown is not correct.

It would be alright to plant if the stump is ground deep, around 12-18 inches. Then remove the grindings from the hole and fill it with soil. Try to get soil from the same area and not rich topsoil.

When planting the new tree, compensate for the loose soil and plant the trunk flare a few inches high.

360ci
06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Great, thanks!

I just have to let him know to find someone that can grind the stump deep.