PDA

View Full Version : brand new lowballer company :/

Ramairfreak98ss
06-12-2010, 04:31 PM
So we've been trying to get "in" with a local company to do their multi store property maintenance.

Apparently back a few months ago, the company went with a management company, which we contacted a week ago because they were supposed to convert over to "new subs".

I find out from a reputable store manager, that this company shows up today to introduce themselves as their provider of services.

They had a old, like very early 90s ford f150 that was "dull" like no clearcoat left on it, maybe rusty, an open trailer, one old "black" zero turn thats probably 7+ years old, NO name or any info on the truck or trailer, residential license places in nj.....

I looked up the name of the company, and it says in a newspaper article that this company opened up shop in February 2010! Apparently they have almost 30 locations for this company now in the surrounding 3 counties :/

Really bothers me that they can hire companies like this, i mean its bad enough when brickmans goes out with all their old falling apart crap, but this illegal business crap is ridiculous, even if they have liability insurance at bare minimum :hammerhead:

ajslands
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I think people complain on this site more than asking questions. What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenmanCT
06-12-2010, 05:03 PM
theres enough grass out there for all types of companies.

ASLandscapemgt
06-12-2010, 06:13 PM
ramairfreak where are you in burlington county?? i am also in burlington county....

socallawndude
06-12-2010, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=Ramairfreak98ss;3602279]

I looked up the name of the company, and it says in a newspaper article that this company opened up shop in February 2010! Apparently they have almost 30 locations for this company now in the surrounding 3 counties :/
QUOTE]

Good for them, maybe cause they're not spending their money on fancy equipment/trucks and running their old truck and mower they're able to keep their costs down, and thus bring in more business. Who knows, maybe they are a shady illegal operation, but here in Socal its all around me and I cant let it bother me anymore. Advertise and do a good job and word of mouth will help you grow, but dont think its lowballers that are taking money out of your wallet, cause to some people a profit of $10 an hour is good money

360ci
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Good for them, maybe cause they're not spending their money on fancy equipment/trucks and running their old truck and mower they're able to keep their costs down, and thus bring in more business. Who knows, maybe they are a shady illegal operation, but here in Socal its all around me and I cant let it bother me anymore. Advertise and do a good job and word of mouth will help you grow, but dont think its lowballers that are taking money out of your wallet, cause to some people a profit of $10 an hour is good money

I agree. I run a '00 Dodge Durango R/T, a three decade old utility trailer and equipment reaching ten years old. I prefer to own my equipment and undercut the bigger guys who think they NEED a new F series truck, a new trailer and all new machinery, only to sell it all for new stuff in 3-4 years. That to me doesn't make sense. If you take care of your equipment and vehicles, they'll take care of you.

LKCLawnService
06-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Customers that leave you over a couple bucks are not worth having anyway. I have never lost an acct from a low baller. All of my customers have given me the benefit of the doubt and atleast given me the opportunity to match there price, heck I have customers that went with the low ballers and now are my customers cause they hacked up there lawn. Nuff said...do a good job and you wont lose many customers.:weightlifter: I think its laughable when I see companies with 100k of equipment like there cool and have 25 accounts, way to much overhead for my liking. I do just fine with 20k worth

PPS.inc
06-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Customers that leave you over a couple bucks are not worth having anyway. I have never lost an acct from a low baller. All of my customers have given me the benefit of the doubt and atleast given me the opportunity to match there price, heck I have customers that went with the low ballers and now are my customers cause they hacked up there lawn. Nuff said...do a good job and you wont lose many customers.:weightlifter: I think its laughable when I see companies with 100k of equipment like there cool and have 25 accounts, way to much overhead for my liking. I do just fine with 20k worth

Agreed. I own everything on my trailer. Leased the truck for 2 yrs (last 6 yrs) a F-150, started with a 4.6. No power, manual everything. I am going to buy a new 2010 250. Started pushing snow and most of my lawn acct. jumped on. If you do good work everything will come around. You gotta go above and beyond. You will get customers who will gladly pay you more to keep you around. Taking a loan for the truck and will run it forever. my company is 7 yrs. in the making. Got about 7 yds of tree limbs to haul away and 10.5 yds. of mulch install on monday. Both customers have been with me since day-1... Keep your head up, do good work, and everything will wrk out.

Just don't lowball to work. Time off work is what makes it all worth it.:usflag:

pdenney11
06-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Times are tuff right now. A lot of property and business owners are looking for the cheapest price they can get right now and these newer companies are just taking advantage of it. They come in with little startup cost and do cheap work. Most of them in my area are done mid summer when it starts to get hot and they realize it's not worth it but during spring they have a lot of work. I just try to stay away from the places that just want the cheapest prices in town. I dont even mess with bidding companies with multiple locations anymore (banks, apartments, fast food rest.). Its too cut throat in this economy. This year we went toward the residential market and it has worked out great.

forestfireguy
06-13-2010, 10:41 AM
This brings around a better point than crying about the "lowballers". Most in the business long enough have realized through expeirience that commercial work is a volume game, one with lower margins but generally higher dollar volume. the commercial market is not for everyone. It's what I do right now, but as we watch our local market become tighter and tougher we are shifting more energy towards promoting and selling to the residential market. Locally the comm market has become ridiculous. We have a few longstanding clients which we will likely never lose, but that kind of loyalty is normally only to the best price. Make a decision as to what kind of business you want to be, just be ready for the actual market, not one the way you'd like it to be.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
ramairfreak where are you in burlington county?? i am also in burlington county....

We usually leave from pemberton nj off rt38/206

Ramairfreak98ss
06-13-2010, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Ramairfreak98ss;3602279]

QUOTE]

True, just happens that this was a company we've been after for a few years now, mainly for snow, only to find some contractor that opened up shop 3 months ago, that CANT POSSIBLY have a better contact than we do, and that doesnt offer snow removal at ALL, grabs 27 locations. Hopefully they'll contract us for the 27 locations this company cant handle :/

Ramairfreak98ss
06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree. I run a '00 Dodge Durango R/T, a three decade old utility trailer and equipment reaching ten years old. I prefer to own my equipment and undercut the bigger guys who think they NEED a new F series truck, a new trailer and all new machinery, only to sell it all for new stuff in 3-4 years. That to me doesn't make sense. If you take care of your equipment and vehicles, they'll take care of you.

Hey im not knocking OLDER equipment here and there. Trust me, we ALL have it. But when your "newest" equipment is years old and probably not reliable, or shouldnt be being used, its only time until it starts to eat into your professionalism and ability to make time demands for contracts.

It really irks me the most that they gained a large commercial contract and arnt even legit with commercial plates, truck signage and have 100% old equipment. Who knows, maybe this guy that opened a few months ago has a 2010 F550 at home.... i surely wouldnt be sending our 1991 F150 with the 18' open landscape trailer and some old junk equipment onto a $200k+ commercial contract retailer!

Ramairfreak98ss
06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Times are tuff right now. A lot of property and business owners are looking for the cheapest price they can get right now and these newer companies are just taking advantage of it. They come in with little startup cost and do cheap work. Most of them in my area are done mid summer when it starts to get hot and they realize it's not worth it but during spring they have a lot of work. I just try to stay away from the places that just want the cheapest prices in town. I dont even mess with bidding companies with multiple locations anymore (banks, apartments, fast food rest.). Its too cut throat in this economy. This year we went toward the residential market and it has worked out great.

We do mainly commercial.. used to do mainly residential in NJ until that got way out of hand. $75 lawn accounts lost to companies with 48" walk behinds and 20k invested in their "business" for $35 each...

But yes, the management companies are taking bids for work that are WAY out of whack.

We recently were "offered" haha, two jobs with "set" pricing which is usually profitable... they said one location was $125.00 and the other $2,150.00 for mulching service.

After quickly looking at over head views of the sites, i almost fell out of my seat, 70 yards of mulch for the $125.00 one and 265 yards for the $2,150.00 one. After the management company dealt with the two seperate clients and explained that those "bids" from the lowest bidder were not remotely close, they sold them on our new bids of $4,700 for the $125 site and $15,400 for the other site including bed edging, weeding and pre emergent.

That RARELY happens though, after i heard the initial prices, i wouldnt have bet $2.00 we would get these two sites. Im sure some Joe was going to steal mulch from some local mulch yard and attempt at doing a 265 yard site... who are they kidding?