PDA

View Full Version : Horribly bumpy yard

rb85cj7
06-12-2010, 09:05 PM
We are moving out to the country and have two acres around house that we are going to keep maintained. I mowed it for the first time with my 54" fastrak and it was bouncing all over the place and therefore not a very consistent cut. I am thinking about using a tractor and disking up the worst parts to smooth it out an then reseeding. If I disked it I would be able to add all my supplements and reseed at the same time. I was thinking about doing it in early fall when get consistent rains. The whole yard isn't bad, it is just when you move 50-80 yards from the house it gets very rough. Does this sound like a good plan of action. If I did it in the fall I would put out rye grass to over winter, but could I spread Bermuda at the same time?
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Take a careful look at the problem. Do you have bumps because the grass is clumpy? Or is the soil itself not smooth--big difference. If it is a clumpy grass problem--the goal is more grass between the bumps. I am thinking it is a clump -forming grass like tall fescue.

rb85cj7
06-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Take a careful look at the problem. Do you have bumps because the grass is clumpy? Or is the soil itself not smooth--big difference. If it is a clumpy grass problem--the goal is more grass between the bumps. I am thinking it is a clump -forming grass like tall fescue.

it is the soil that is making it bumpy. It used to be pasture but we moved the fence to make a larger yard.
Posted via Mobile Device